OOTS Nov 2014

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS Nov 2014

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
herb wrote: The Oilers are fucked until Katz fires Lowe and the drunk driver. Until then, replacing the coach is just signing the new coaches death warrant. I hope Eakins is getting paid well, because this stint in Edmonton is probably destroying his coaching career.
Totally agree, Herb. But I just don't see a way that Katz cleans house, brings in a new management team, and they decide that the coach should stay.
I can't see Eakins being fired though. I don't know that ANY coach of even AHL caliber is going to want to come into Edmonton right now. And the way things have been handled this far, it might take that kind of wake up call for Katz to show Lowe the door.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BurningBeard wrote:The issue with Edmonton is they've built up all these "assets" that are high value in only the minds of Edmonton management and fans. No matter what they do, they won't get good value for a Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, because rightly or wrongly, he's damaged goods. Current management is incapable of trading such assets, because it would be an admission that their current rebuild and drafting strategy has been an absolute failure. A new GM will have to come in and start trading pieces at a loss before building anything. The fans will go nuts. They're just losers right now - the tough times are in the future when a new GM is offering Hall on the open market to see what he can get. That's when things get really messy.
Until Katz fires Lowe, they are screwed. This is all Lowe's vision, after all. MacTavish may be an idiot, and Tambellini was a failure, but I'm sure they weren't making many moves without massive involvement from Lowe.

The Oilers haven't drafted a decent NHL player past the first round in like a decade. Under Lowe's direction, the Oilers have and continue to seriously miscalculate the development of some excellent young players. How does Lowe not wear that?
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Re Oilers: watching them flounder again reminds me of comments made by Jim Benning after he was hired.

As I recall, Benning stated that in his opinion, young players develop better in a winning environment. Hence the signing of Miller and the stated goal of making the playoffs, rather than a full re-build.

The development of the Oilers' young guns is now seriously being stunted by a team that just cannot compete. Losing breeds losing...and how do you break the cycle?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Zedlee wrote:Re Oilers: watching them flounder again reminds me of comments made by Jim Benning after he was hired.

As I recall, Benning stated that in his opinion, young players develop better in a winning environment. Hence the signing of Miller and the stated goal of making the playoffs, rather than a full re-build.

The development of the Oilers' young guns is now seriously being stunted by a team that just cannot compete. Losing breeds losing...and how do you break the cycle?
I couldn't agree more with this notion. I don't think it's a coincidence that the pathetic organizations in pro sports tend to stay that way for a long time, and that's despite the high draft picks and big promises each new one brings.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Zedlee wrote:Re Oilers: watching them flounder again reminds me of comments made by Jim Benning after he was hired.

I held that same belief after the Pens drafted Crosby - I remember thinking how stupid is was that they didn't loan him out to the WJC, as I thought he needed time away from losing. Plus I remember Therrien seeming so pathetic and disgusted, throwing his players under the bus in press conferences, etc.

However, they managed to flip from 22 wins in 05-06 to 47 wins in 06-07 (when Malkin and Staal joined the team), then made it to the Finals the following 2 seasons.

Of course there are many many differences between the post-tank Penguins and the current Oilers, but the losing culture can disappear in a hurry if the Bwain Twust ever puts together a proper lineup.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

ESQ wrote:

I held that same belief after the Pens drafted Crosby - I remember thinking how stupid is was that they didn't loan him out to the WJC, as I thought he needed time away from losing. Plus I remember Therrien seeming so pathetic and disgusted, throwing his players under the bus in press conferences, etc.

However, they managed to flip from 22 wins in 05-06 to 47 wins in 06-07 (when Malkin and Staal joined the team), then made it to the Finals the following 2 seasons.

Of course there are many many differences between the post-tank Penguins and the current Oilers, but the losing culture can disappear in a hurry if the Bwain Twust ever puts together a proper lineup.
Are you suggesting Lowe lace 'em up ala Mario?

I know you aren't, but I couldn't resist.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Topper wrote:
ESQ wrote: I held that same belief after the Pens drafted Crosby - I remember thinking how stupid is was that they didn't loan him out to the WJC, as I thought he needed time away from losing. Plus I remember Therrien seeming so pathetic and disgusted, throwing his players under the bus in press conferences, etc.

Are you suggesting Lowe lace 'em up ala Mario?

I know you aren't, but I couldn't resist.
It's not joking matter Topper.....Kevin Lowe knows a thing or two about winning!!! Just ask him. :lol:
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But , but, but........ Pauser said the team should tank because that's the only way they can improve . What a fucking mouth breather .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

I think it's unfair to make comparisons at this point. Michal Jordán is only 24. He has his whole career ahead of him. Time will tell how many NBA titles he can get for Carolina.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

^^^^
I thought it was going to be about Subban, Jordan that is.
The only HW the Canucks need
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

cOilers blow lead with under 5 to play, lose 17 seconds into OT. 11 straight games without a win. Their team record is 15 set in the early 90's. They still have yet to beat a Western Conference team, and they have back-to-backs with San Jose and Anaheim upcoming.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

BurningBeard wrote:*snip*

I think it's unfair to make comparisons at this point. Michal Jordán is only 24. He has his whole career ahead of him. Time will tell how many NBA titles he can get for Carolina.
The least they could do is let Michal try to beat MJ's baseball career before going up against that..
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:But , but, but........ Pauser said the team should tank because that's the only way they can improve . What a fucking mouth breather .
At least we won't see that clown around here until one or both of the Sedins gets into a slump.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

rats19 wrote:
Topper wrote:Katz needs to hire JFJr.

Ferguson will burn the bitch down.
Hire torts...
That would surely reignite the Battle of Alberta.
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Island Nucklehead wrote:cOilers blow lead with under 5 to play, lose 17 seconds into OT. 11 straight games without a win. Their team record is 15 set in the early 90's. They still have yet to beat a Western Conference team, and they have back-to-backs with San Jose and Anaheim upcoming.
They got the loser point. I wonder of there was some celebrating in the dressing room.