Burrows suspended 3 games.

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

donlever
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Burrows suspended 3 games.

Post by donlever »

3 games is it
DeLevering since 1999.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

herb wrote:Burrows deserved a suspension and Ference deserves a longer one (5+ games I'd say). Ference's hit was too violent and targeted the head, whereas Burrows' was a stupid and completely unnecessary hit. Ference looked to target the head more than Burrows did and he really launched himself up.

Emelin put himself in really awkward situation which I think mitigates the Burrows hit somewhat, but it was still a dirty, unnecessary hit that deserved a suspension. Three games to me seems reasonable.

I wasn't able to watch the Oilers game, but after seeing the hit a few times, I'm surprised Ference didn't get a major penalty and a game misconduct. The refs blew it again. A suspendable hit should probably be a major and a game misconduct IMO.

Note that Ference is a repeat offender, like Burrows, which will factor into the length of the suspension.
If Kassian stays on the ice motionless, Ference gets 5 and a game. If he gets taken to the quiet room Fetence may get 4 games. If he is injured Ference gets longer. Injuries on the play do come into play, always have. The difference from now and 10 years ago is that the NHL now admits that injuries matter. Bettman always use to claim they didn't which used to drive me nuts. At least now we have some transparency.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Hockey Widow wrote:
herb wrote:Burrows deserved a suspension and Ference deserves a longer one (5+ games I'd say). Ference's hit was too violent and targeted the head, whereas Burrows' was a stupid and completely unnecessary hit. Ference looked to target the head more than Burrows did and he really launched himself up.

Emelin put himself in really awkward situation which I think mitigates the Burrows hit somewhat, but it was still a dirty, unnecessary hit that deserved a suspension. Three games to me seems reasonable.

I wasn't able to watch the Oilers game, but after seeing the hit a few times, I'm surprised Ference didn't get a major penalty and a game misconduct. The refs blew it again. A suspendable hit should probably be a major and a game misconduct IMO.

Note that Ference is a repeat offender, like Burrows, which will factor into the length of the suspension.
If Kassian stays on the ice motionless, Ference gets 5 and a game. If he gets taken to the quiet room Fetence may get 4 games. If he is injured Ference gets longer. Injuries on the play do come into play, always have. The difference from now and 10 years ago is that the NHL now admits that injuries matter. Bettman always use to claim they didn't which used to drive me nuts. At least now we have some transparency.
It has been written into the last couple of CBA's. I believe fans belief it is not a factor is urban legend, similar to the misunderstood history vs CBA repeat offender.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Kassian stays on the ice motionless, Ference gets 5 and a game. If he gets taken to the quiet room Fetence may get 4 games. If he is injured Ference gets longer. Injuries on the play do come into play, always have. The difference from now and 10 years ago is that the NHL now admits that injuries matter. Bettman always use to claim they didn't which used to drive me nuts. At least now we have some transparency.
Totally agree.

As Topper has drilled into our heads, injury is a factor.