2015 Draft Class watch

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2015 Draft Class watch

Post by Benjo »

SKYO wrote:Bob McKenzie final draft ranking...

http://www.tsn.ca/mcdavid-tops-mckenzie ... g-1.300634

23rd - Joel Eriksson Ek - Centre
24th - Oliver Kylington! - D
From everything I've read it sounds like Kylington has a lot of useful tools but his biggest issue is consistency. Could be a good pickup in that draft spot.
Blaster86
CC Veteran

Post by Blaster86 »

RoyalDude wrote: I'd probably go with Harkins instead.
It would be one of the worst picks in Canucks history. The kid is hot garbage.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Can sign Mike Reilly, free 1st rounder.

Yzerman/Bowman after him the best in the biz.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Eriksson Ek seems like a good pick in any other situation - somebody who could work the 3rd line in time with a ceiling of a 2-way 2nd-line centre... and we have more than a couple of prospects who fit that mold. Kylington could be a good one, but I think Benning picks him only if he's convinced that he can develop the parts of Kylington's game besides his skating. People may consider him another Karlsson but he may be an absolute bust as well.

Part of me is seriously hoping Benning trades up for a kid like Konecny.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

So if you wanted Hanifin...
The leaves is scheduled to select No. 4 overall in the 2015 NHL Draft, but the Maple leaves would consider moving down if it means adding prospects or stockpiling picks. If the price is right, a trade could come.

“It’s something we would definitely look at,” leaves interim co-GM Kyle Dubas told The Toronto Star on Saturday.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/mapl ... rall-pick/
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

SKYO wrote:Can sign Mike Reilly, free 1st rounder.

Yzerman/Bowman after him the best in the biz.
Hear this all the time when some guy we've never heard of becomes a young UFA out of college. Have any of these guys turned into star? Tyler Johnson but he wasn't highly thought of. How about Antoine Laganiere? He was the consensus best a few year back. Matt Gilroy? Justin Schultz? So many sweepstakes guys but almost none become top players.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Really tough to get a guage on who the Canucks will take at 23. Consensus says draft a D-man but from 20th to 30th the Defence prospects certainly are not the BPA. After the big 3 in Hanafin, Provorov and Werenski there is a massive drop off in talent at D. Probably one of the weakest draft classes at defence. The second round is littered with Defence prospects but 99% I wouldn't take them with our 23rd pick. Zorbil, Chabot, Carlo, Roy, Kylington and Larsson will most likely be the other D prospects to go in the 1st round and may be available for us but there are a handful of forwards I would take ahead of them who could be available to us at 23.'I sure hope Benning isn't picking by need at 23 and will take the BPA regardless of position.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Lancer wrote:

Eriksson Ek seems like a good pick in any other situation - somebody who could work the 3rd line in time with a ceiling of a 2-way 2nd-line centre... and we have more than a couple of prospects who fit that mold. Kylington could be a good one, but I think Benning picks him only if he's convinced that he can develop the parts of Kylington's game besides his skating. People may consider him another Karlsson but he may be an absolute bust as well.

The warning signs are blaring loud with Kylington. When I hear - A Project, tagged to a player I say No. The projects are a bigger gamble than drafting Russkies. I say we make like the Lightning and gamble on the Russkies and draft Guryanov. Kucherov and Vaselevsky have worked out well for Tampa

Would like Konecny, the kid is a bull with a great motor and competitiveness. Comes from good lineage. The intangibles of having the cousins in Horvat and Konecny take over from the twins is too good to pass up. They both have a very good work ethic. Apparently Konecny scored well at the Combine

Bottom line, the decision they make at 23 will not be an easy one, so much pressure on making this pick count
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Lancer wrote:

As a guy who follows the draft religiously - I still have my Hockey News draft previews from the 90's - I'm as torn as I can remember on who I want to see the Nucks pick. I'm assuming the following will definitely be gone save us trading up:

McDavid
Eichel
Hanifin
Marner
Strome
Provorov
Zacha
Rantanen
Crouse
Barzal

Werenski
Connor
Meier

I see very little chance that any of these guys drop as far as 23. The next group is where we will be choosing from:

Konecny
Merkley
Eriksson Ek
Svechnikov
Jeremy Roy
White
Zboril
Guryanov
Harkins
Sprong
Boeser

I'm more or less fine with any of these guys. I've seen no games of Guryanov, Eriksson Ek or Boeser but from everything I read they seem like solid prospects. I love Konecny's game but am worried how his size will translate, same with Merkley. Svechnikov has lots of tools to become a good player, White reminds me of a guy like O'Reilly a lot. Zboril looks like a solid top 4 guy - meaner Hamhuis if everything pans out - while Harkins doesn't do anything really well but just seems to get it done somehow. Sprong is a wildcard but has a ton of talent. Jeremy Roy I've only watched once but he's a bit in the Harkins boat, just knows how to play the game. I'd be fine with any of these guys though of course I have a few I like more than others.

Guys like Chabot (I'm not a fan - plays like Sbisa though of course he's got lots of time to improve), Carlo, Kylington and Samsonov (the goalie) could be in the mix as well as a bunch of other guys I'm sure some teams will like. Will be interesting given Benning almost surely uhas to make some trades given the makeup of the current roster and guys who have to be on the team as they require waivers.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

That last group I'd rank. No way the first 4 are at 23

White
Konecny
Eriksson Ek
Merkley
Zboril
Svechnikov
Guryanov
Boeser
Harkins
Roy
Sprong

Not a fan of Sprong. I'd pick Larsson, Chabot, Kylington, Carlo, Debrusk, Beauvellier, Juulsen, Bracco, Samsonov ahead of him
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

RoyalDude wrote:That last group I'd rank. No way the first 4 are at 23

White
Konecny
Eriksson Ek
Merkley
Zboril
Svechnikov
Guryanov
Boeser
Harkins
Roy
Sprong

Not a fan of Sprong. I'd pick Larsson, Chabot, Kylington, Carlo, Debrusk, Beauvellier, Juulsen, Bracco, Samsonov ahead of him
Sorry, wasn't ranking them in any particular order, just who I thought we would have a shot at. I'd say the odds are quite good one of those top 4 are there at 23, not all of them for sure but one is likely. Very tough draft to call given not much of a consensus after the top 2 and then the next 3.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Bob McKenzie and a bunch of scouts are labelling Samsonov as a franchise goalie. Hearing that if he is still available around the mid first round and you are picking next you are pretty much an idiot to not draft him if you go by the best player available model. Samsonov could easily be the 3rd most valuable player to come out of this draft after all is said and done. If he is still available at 23 should the Canucks draft him?
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Hell no they need skaters a lot more than a goalie .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Hell no they need skaters a lot more than a goalie .
Listen 7-11 Microwaved Hoagie after a night of Boozing at Kits Pub, whatever rookie we are picking we won't be seeing in the NHL for 2 to 3 years if we are lucky we havent drafted the next Jordan Schroeder, Shinkaruk or Jensen. By that time Samsonovs stock will be Vasilevsky massive we will be able to trade him for a quality young stud or get high draft pick for him like we did with Dave Nonis late 1st round pick - Corey Schneider.

That to me is a move of Geniusness

Either way I'd be shocked if Chiarelli passes on him at 16th pick, especially since the Oilers goaltending in the NHL and at the prospects level is the worst in the NHL. Not to mention the few other teams picking ahead us that need goaltending in the system
theman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by theman »

Would Lack, alone, be able to get us the Oilers 16th overall pick?