2015 Draft Class watch

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Re: 2015 Draft Class watch

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:As of right now the Canucks would be picking 16th overall. The top 12 picks are starting to look like this

McDavid
Eichel
Hanafin
Crouse
Werenski
Marner
Zacha
Barzal
Strome
Provorov
Kylington
Ranatanen

The next category will be

Roy
Konecny
Carlo
White
Greenway
Connor
Bittner
Etc

I think we stand a good chance of drafting Konecny

Your list is missing Merkely, top pnts in the WHL. Ranked about 13th.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Merkely plays on an extremely stacked team, the best team in the dub. He's not a goal scorer does he have double digit goals yet?, not big, not fast. Apparently he was very unimpressive at the CHL prospects game. Barzal plays on a lousy Seattle team, you put Barzal on the Rockets with an injury free year and Merkely on the T-Birds we wouldn't be talking about Merkely the way we are now. I think the kid is getting overrated, yes a decent prospect, but I'd be picking about 20 or so players ahead of him in the 2015 draft class.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
okcanuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by okcanuck »

RoyalDude wrote:Merkely plays on an extremely stacked team, the best team in the dub. He's not a goal scorer does he have double digit goals yet?, not big, not fast. Apparently he was very unimpressive at the CHL prospects game. Barzal plays on a lousy Seattle team, you put Barzal on the Rockets with an injury free year and Merkely on the T-Birds we wouldn't be talking about Merkely the way we are now. I think the kid is getting overrated, yes a decent prospect, but I'd be picking about 20 or so players ahead of him in the 2015 draft class.

So since Dec 20 , when you had Merkely ranked 14th, he has fallen to 20th or lower. I watch this kid play all the time and he's the biggest reason the Rockets are doing great. He's also 5' 11" and 195. As a matter of fact he is ranked as one of the best hitters in the WHL. If the Nucks end up anywhere from 12th to 16th they better draft him.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Thanks for the info OKC.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

okcanuck wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:As of right now the Canucks would be picking 16th overall. The top 12 picks are starting to look like this

McDavid
Eichel
Hanafin
Crouse
Werenski
Marner
Zacha
Barzal
Strome
Provorov
Kylington
Ranatanen

The next category will be

Roy
Konecny
Carlo
White
Greenway
Connor
Bittner
Etc

I think we stand a good chance of drafting Konecny

Your list is missing Merkely, top pnts in the WHL. Ranked about 13th.
Konecny, Carlo....sounds like future Cup champs.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:Thanks for the info OKC.
lol
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I would see what I could get for our pick + Kassian and Lack. Say if it's 17 overall would that package be enough to get the 5th overall pick or would we still have to add ? They HAVE to get one of Marner or Strome .
I don't think we could get into the top 5, but 10th - 12th is possible.

The only two possible teams that kinda make sense for Lack/Kass/pick for the Canucks to grab another is 1st is Philly and Florida.

Lack + Kass to Philly to grab their first which should be 10th spot ish.

Or Kassian + a 2nd rounder for Panthers 1st (low teens), they were rumoured to be interested Kass iirc.
Then trade Lack to get that 2nd rounder back.
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

I like the big Finn kin named Rantanen or something close. He is 6'4" and weighs in at over 200 and the press says he was the best Finn at the WJC. The other one I like is Koceny. He has mad skills and the heart of a Canadian player no matter where he is from
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

damonberryman wrote:I like the big Finn kin named Rantanen or something close. He is 6'4" and weighs in at over 200 and the press says he was the best Finn at the WJC. The other one I like is Koceny. He has mad skills and the heart of a Canadian player no matter where he is from
If he's still around he'd be a great pick, IMO. I'm not sold on Konecny (Ontario kid, btw), he's real small. Smaller than Shinkaruk small. He does have skills, but it seems like a risky pick in a draft that should yeild great prospects throughout the first round.

I'm kind of hoping (selfishly) that Barzal's limited action this season due to injury sees him drop to us.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

damonberryman wrote:I have been doing some reading and I think I have found who the Canucks should draft this year assuming we are not in the top 10. His name is Brandon Carlo and he plays for Tri city in the WHL. Kid is 6' 5" and weighs in near 200. He is a D and is known for his 'nasty edge'. He is one of 40 prospects picked to go to the big game where all the scouts are. Right now he is reckoned to go in the bottom of the draft which underlines again how strong this year really is.

SO......phone Benning and tell him Damon from Yale Street has got it figured for round one. Any more brilliance and I want to be paid (with a Cup before I die, also known as "WACBID")
I'm still intrigued by Carlo, seems he's the next Alzner/Erik Johnson type and he could/should fall into our range of pick.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=739960

--

Liking the updated NHL mock draft, has a short quick breakdown of the top prospects this 1st round..icymi

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=750261
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This Timo Meier kid intrigues. Seems to be a real hard hitting shit disturber with good skill and size. I don't mind what he brings to the table, his game seems suited for the NHL

Shinkaruk is not that much bigger than Konecny. Height is at the most 1" difference and weight is about 5-10 lbs different. Shink has grown since beinv drafted I imagine Konecny will as well as they are/were roughly the same size at the draft
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote: Shinkaruk is not that much bigger than Konecny. Height is at the most 1" difference and weight is about 5-10 lbs different. Shink has grown since beinv drafted I imagine Konecny will as well as they are/were roughly the same size at the draft
Yeah I think they've savagely inflated his height. NHL has his listed at 5'9.25.

McDavid is listed at 6'01 and he's significantly bigger than Konecny...

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I like the big Finn kin named Rantanen or something close. He is 6'4" and weighs in at over 200 and the press says he was the best Finn at the WJC. The other one I like is Koceny. He has mad skills and the heart of a Canadian player no matter where he is from
If he's still around he'd be a great pick, IMO. I'm not sold on Konecny (Ontario kid, btw), he's real small. Smaller than Shinkaruk small. He does have skills, but it seems like a risky pick in a draft that should yeild great prospects throughout the first round.

I'm kind of hoping (selfishly) that Barzal's limited action this season due to injury sees him drop to us.
Would love to get either or of Barzal or Rantanen but we'd have to be picking in the top 12 to get one of them. Just don't see us picking that high. I think the NHL teams scouts are going to look beyond Barzals injury plagued season. Too much to like there

The mystery player to me is Zacha, not much talk about him, not putting up great numbers but is on every scouts top 10 list

Yeah Konecny is a tough one, he will either be great or the next Jordan Schroeder. There is no middle ground with him, but if he does pan out he will be the steal of the draft.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Hmmm, maybe picking in the top 10 is a possibility for us.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hopefully Benning has Gradin working hard over there scouting...
Is playing against men as a teenager in one of Europe’s top leagues an indicator of future success in and of itself?

In theory, the mere fact that a 17 year old (or 16 year old for that matter) playing a full-time role against men in one of the world's toughest leagues should be a hint that they might be a pretty darn good player. The Swedish club system means that a player can move up from the junior league club in the SuperElit, to Allsvenskan (SHL2), to the elite league (SHL), assuming they have the ability to beat out their older, more experienced competition for the job.

You'll notice that I've included all U18 seasons in the list above, which includes multiple entries for Oliver Kylington and Rasmus Andersson, both of who are unique and notable cases. Last year, Kylington became the first 16 year old defensemanen to play a full season in the SHL since Calle Johansen, who later went on to play over 1,100 NHL games. Andersson, who is currently lighting it up at a point-per-game pace for the OHL's Barrie Colts, is the highest scoring U17 defensemen in Allsvenskan history. Other notables are Jens Looke, who had a strong world junior tournament on a veteran Swedish team, and Dmytro Timashov, who despite his slight 5'9 frame, is obliterating the QMJHL, scoring 66 points in his first 46 games.
Summary

Next to Canada and the US, Sweden is the third largest source of players to the NHL. However, unlike North America, junior age players in Europe have an opportunity to play professionally against men in some of the best professional men's leagues in the world. That is, if they can cut it. Like all other professional leagues, coaches are generally rational and evaluators of talent whose livelihoods are dependent on them building a winning team. As a result, the mere fact that a player has been considered good enough to help his team in the SHL or SHL2 is a strong indicator of potential future NHL success.

This draft in particular looks to have some very intriguing Swedish options, in Rasmus Andersson, Jens Looke, Dymtro Timashov, and Sebastian Aho, all of whom appear to be flying under the radar. In Oliver Kylington, we're looking at a player that has achieved what no other Swedish defenseman has achieved in the last 20 years - playing a full SHL season at the age of 16. He is clearly one of the very best defensemen available in this draft, and despite his #12 ranking from ISS, he's likely to be selected very early in the 1st round.
imo if we can move up a good amount and are able to get Kylington, we should nab this guy!

Just like my Ekblad obsession last draft lol, Kylington could be that dman game changer this team has lacked for 40+ years.