OOTS balance of pre season 2014

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: OOTS balance of pre season 2014

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Edler may miss Bowness guidance and a partner who thinks the game like him. He and Erhoff really clicked and fed off of each other. Since Erhoffs and Bowness departure, Edler has been a little loss. Edler and Mike Keenan style coaches like Torterella is a bad mix. Apparently Edler has a hard time bouncing back from mistakes, takes it to heart to the point where it completely shatters his confidence, tbis is why Bowness was good to have around for Edler, hopefully Lidster and Deajardins can be a positive influence on him like Bowness was
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Island Nucklehead wrote: 2012-13, he was putting up numbers consistent with (or better than) guys like Doughty, Seabrook, Chara etc.

2011-12 he was tied with Weber with 49 points (Tied top-5 in points).

Both these seasons happened without Ehrhoff. So he's fully capable of playing and producing at a high level without ze German. He's certainly not "too old" to get his game back.
Hopefully, it was an aberration, coupled with a Tortorella system that didn't play to his strengths. The fact that *so many* players had their worst year in 13/14 leaves me hopeful that we will see many (all?) of them rebound with all the changes.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Rayxor wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: 2012-13, he was putting up numbers consistent with (or better than) guys like Doughty, Seabrook, Chara etc.

2011-12 he was tied with Weber with 49 points (Tied top-5 in points).

Both these seasons happened without Ehrhoff. So he's fully capable of playing and producing at a high level without ze German. He's certainly not "too old" to get his game back.
Hopefully, it was an aberration, coupled with a Tortorella system that didn't play to his strengths. The fact that *so many* players had their worst year in 13/14 leaves me hopeful that we will see many (all?) of them rebound with all the changes.
Yep, I would tend to agree. Especially in the case of Edler. Unlike the Sedins or Burrows, who are getting older and likely to decline at some rate over the next couple seasons, Edler is still well in his prime, and has no reason not to regain his confidence and abilities.

I don't think he'll ever be that perennial Norris candidate we were all hoping for, but there's no reason he can't be that top-15/20 d-man in the league that puts up big points. He has the ability to dominate games, or even stretches of games, but I doubt his ability to do it for entire seasons, which imo is the biggest difference between the top-pairing guys and the "franchise" level dmen.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tanev will be good for Edler like Sami Salo used to be IMO.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:Haters are gonna hate, If Edler won the Norris trophy, Mëds would still hate him

Put me in the 'like' department regarding Edler.
If Edler won the Norris but still played every other season like he has, then yeah, kudos on the Norris, but where's the consistency.

If Edler was making $4M and being viewed by coaching and management as a solid anchor on the 2nd pairing, then I'd be fine with him.

I don't hate Edler. I hate that people think he's going to suddenly turn into a bonafide top pairing stud.