Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am

Bo Horvat
54%
Hunter Shinkaruk
27%
Nicklas Jensen
15%
Frank Corrado
4%
Darren Archibald
No votes
Henrik Tommernes
No votes

Total votes: 48

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Post by Hockey Widow »

Logic would dictate its Vey. Although on the 4th line he surprised me. I thought our 4th line would be blown away with him on it but they have actually played well. Maybe Willie rotates through several players, including Bo, in order to keep him longer.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Apparently Bonino is out w/ an injury (blocking a shot last game) so Horvat moves into the 2 spot w/ Higgins & Burrows.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

And then again injuries can always crop up.
The only HW the Canucks need
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

It really is a good problem to have, youth chomping at the bit for spots in the line up.

I like what Vey brings to the PP with his shot and very quick release and while completely lacking any physical game, he hasn't been a liability on the fourth line and has provided offensive spark to a line playing 10 minutes a game. Still, I see him as most likely to sit in favour of Bo. It will be a rotation for the while.

Could Bonino play Vey's PP role more effectively? That would mean Richardson or Mathias centre the second PP unit.

I can see sticking with Vey through California and then experimenting with Bo for Ottawa, Arizona and Edmonton.

As I noted before, Vey is the only right handed centre in the line up.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sounds like Bonino is good to go, could be Horvat sitting this one. :(
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

With everyone healthy I like the idea of rotating the 2 rookies in and out.
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Horvat probably mad on the inside *wide open!*

Hansen fumbles it up...
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Strangelove wrote:With everyone healthy I like the idea of rotating the 2 rookies in and out.
That's my thought, too, but what about Kassian. Not a serious injury or even a injury? Watched the San Jose stream because of the better quality and the dumb speakers didn't lost a word about Zack.
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

ClamRussel wrote: Well, that's the danger of having a guy on the top pp unit who hasn't really earned a roster spot based on 5 on 5 play (Vey). I'm not taking Hansen out either because he's playing awesome as long as he's in the bottom 6. It just works for him there. I'd say it's either Vey or Horvat..
I'd love to be able to send Vey down. He's becoming a victim of being brought along slowly. 23 years old, and 32 games under his belt, and we can't send him down if he's the 13th forward. NHL and NHLPA should bump the waiver exemption to age 24, or even 25, and give teams a chance to fully develop their young guys.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Tciso wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Well, that's the danger of having a guy on the top pp unit who hasn't really earned a roster spot based on 5 on 5 play (Vey). I'm not taking Hansen out either because he's playing awesome as long as he's in the bottom 6. It just works for him there. I'd say it's either Vey or Horvat..
I'd love to be able to send Vey down. He's becoming a victim of being brought along slowly. 23 years old, and 32 games under his belt, and we can't send him down if he's the 13th forward. NHL and NHLPA should bump the waiver exemption to age 24, or even 25, and give teams a chance to fully develop their young guys.
I'm sure the players would love that. And wait - if Vey's a victim of being brought along too slowly, how is sending him to the AHL going to help? :lol:

Perhaps he was a 'victim' of the Kings' excellent depth in the past but it's the only reason he became available in the first place - the Canucks took a (pretty expensive IMO) gamble that he really is a good NHL player who was simply a victim of circumstance, rather than a guy who - at the age where a lot of NHL forwards are nearing their peak production - simply couldn't prove to be more than an AHL/NHL tweener.

Basically the Canucks brought him in because they were willing to do something the Kings weren't - keep him on the roster whether he is ready or not (or ever will be).
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote: Perhaps he was a 'victim' of the Kings' excellent depth in the past but it's the only reason he became available in the first place - the Canucks took a (pretty expensive IMO) gamble that he really is a good NHL player who was simply a victim of circumstance, rather than a guy who - at the age where a lot of NHL forwards are nearing their peak production - simply couldn't prove to be more than an AHL/NHL tweener.

Basically the Canucks brought him in because they were willing to do something the Kings weren't - keep him on the roster whether he is ready or not (or ever will be).
He certainly was a victim of the Kings' forward depth, but I still don't mind that trade. A lot of second rounders don't even become quasi-NHL players. In my opinion Benning just traded a long-shot potential NHL player for an NHL player. I mean, Vey is still on pace for a 23 goal, 41 point season here. It would be nice to have the depth of the Kings, but we are not a SC contender on paper, so we should have room for Vey.

Cameron Gaunce, Nico Sachetti, Milan Lucic, Danny Rousin, Enver Lisin, Ivan Baranka, Sergei Anshakov, Connor Brickley, Johan Sundstrom, Colton Sissons... all 50th overall picks. So yeah, a Lucic woulda been nice with that pick, but chances are we get a player who's far worse than Vey. As far as trades go, we didn't move a draft pick for a rental, we moved it for a young guy who's knocking on the door of being an NHL regular with offensive talent, something this team sorely lacks.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah I'm not arguing against the trade per se, I understand why it made sense for this team at that time.

That said I don't really need to point out just how asset poor this franchise is.. Vey isn't definitely a downgrade in this area but he could be, and in four years we might still feel like we need another 22-23 year old while he is into UFA territory.

Also, because I just can't help myself.. I don't like the "here's a bunch of 50th overall picks" comparison much. Looks great for my argument with Lucic, but the teams picking those other players also had a chance to take Dalton Thrower, Nikita Kucherov, William Karlsson, Calle Jarnkrok, Johan Larsson, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, Stepan, Hamonic, Anisimov, Raymond :look: .. in addition to another boatload of guys that never panned out.

There's Lucic, and a couple of other guys that Vey is unlikely to ever touch, plus a couple of much younger players younger than him PLUS in a similar spot in the big league already.

Anyway like I said, I wasn't really trying to get into the argument that we shouldn't have made the pick but with the old draft picks / batting analogy, 50th overall is a plate appearance with a pretty good pitch count to boot.. I don't like giving that up and certainly not with our new GM who is supposed to be a draft wizard. But for all the aforementioned reasons I'm content with the fact that said draft wizard passed up on a chance to make a selection at #50.. he's far better qualified than I am to decide whether it's worthwhile to pass on McKeown, Dougherty, Smith et al or not.
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Island Nucklehead wrote:...but we are not a SC contender on paper, so we should have room for Vey.
I like this caveat. :D

I'll put you down as cautiously optimistic. ;)
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

In in L.A. - not for the game, a conference - was hanging out buy Staples Center and Hank, Danny, and Edler strolled by. Edler has his hand all taped up, not sure if it is serious, but there's a fair amount of bandages on him. It didn't seem to bother his short yesterday, at least.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I like Vey on the 4th, adds another weapon for each line, so we can have that wave like attack.

As he does create scoring chances, but he does suck defensively, noticed he got benched for a couple shifts after he made a bad d-zone play that resulted in the sharks iirc getting a lot of scoring chances.