Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Poll ended at Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am

Bo Horvat
54%
Hunter Shinkaruk
27%
Nicklas Jensen
15%
Frank Corrado
4%
Darren Archibald
No votes
Henrik Tommernes
No votes

Total votes: 48

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Post by SKYO »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Little early to give up on ZK . Ask me again at the end of the year . What is this now seven coaches in seven years for the kid ? I agree that it is an important year for him however .
Well for ZK it's been documented that big power forwards usually come around when they are 25ish so we got another year or two!

---

Be nice if all three Shink/Jensen/Horvat make the team, been forever since this team injected some youth, I know that probably won't happen come October but I bet anything that we'll see Shinkaruk and Jensen all throughout the season with a few call-ups.

Horvat should solidify his spot hopefully.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I think our 2nd line needs to be Kassian/Bonino/(Burr/Higgins) to start the season. I'd love the kids to stay up, but Kassian needs 2nd line time to develop, and prove his end to last season wasn't a fluke. And, like you implied HW, give the line some time to prove themselves before re-inventing it.

With (Higgin/Burrows)/Vey on the 3rd line, I see either Horvat or Shinkaruk fitting in well, and being in a good place to get some meaningful minutes with competent linemates. I expect to see Horvat for the first 9 games, and Shinkaruk getting a call up either if Horvat is sent down, or with the first injury. Willie will have a fun year trying to get our vets and youngsters to mesh together.

Please, please god. let's never see Horvat playing with Sestito or Dorset.
Hockey Widow wrote:As for top six, Kassian must show this year he can fit in that role. If not he is an easy one to slide back to the third line. Burrows would be a great third line player, again, if not for his cap hit, but another who can slide down. So making room for one of Jensen or Shinkaruk in the top six is very doable. I just don't think it will happen right away. For all the reasons stated already, add to the list, give the second line a chance before tearing it apart.

I have no idea if they will form the chemistry and provide secondary scoring but we know Burrows is staying and Bonino will start as the second line centre. Kassian deserves the chance, at least to start the season,to show he belongs there.

Like most, I'd rather have Jensen and Shinkaruk start in Utica and eat minutes. But if we need a line up re-shuffle it's easily done and those two can compete in a Utica for the right of first call up.

More and more I think Horvat gets the minimum 9 games and then a decision will be made. So I think he will get an extended look to show he belongs.

I don't rule out a trade or two as the season unfolds.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I like dorsett....for what he is and is intended for..
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Looking more and more like #53 will make the team!
TSN1040-
Pratt asked if Horvat will make the regular season squad:

Benning: “He’s done everything that he could to do make it a tough decision for us, so we’re happy about that.”

Nothing concrete, but it sounds good for Bo.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

rats19 wrote:I like dorsett....for what he is and is intended for..
Let's just hope he can stick around for about 5 years as that's pretty much the length of time I think that would justify his price tag of a 3rd round pick.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Tciso wrote:Please, please god. let's never see Horvat playing with Sestito or Dorset.
lol, you spoke too soon.
And they’ll have Bo Horvat – who’s been a top-six centre most of his stellar junior career – on a fourth line, between grinders Tom Sestito and Derek Dorsett.
http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/10/02 ... s-turning/
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Only 3 people voted for Jensen?

That's surprising.

Jensen HAS to make the big leagues this season. Based on what I saw last year, there is absolutely nothing more to learn in the minors for him.

Jensen needs ice time to build up that confidence to be competing for a spot in the top 6.
You just explained why he probably won't make the Canucks this season. There are limited spots in the top-6 to begin with, and it sure looks to me like Shinkaruk would have first crack if one were available, just based on play thus far in training camp.
Seriously, mathonwy? No, he could use another season on the farm. It's not like tore it up down there. He improved & got consistent following a sluggish start. Up here he looked good for a few games then faded away. Kid has a ways to go yet before "there is absolutely nothing more to learn in the minors for him". He needs confidence & to better better defensively for starts. If he tears the AHL up I'll agree w/ you then.
Last edited by ClamRussel on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:
Tciso wrote:Please, please god. let's never see Horvat playing with Sestito or Dorset.
lol, you spoke too soon.
And they’ll have Bo Horvat – who’s been a top-six centre most of his stellar junior career – on a fourth line, between grinders Tom Sestito and Derek Dorsett.

And Horvat on TSN radio said he has liked playing between Sestito and Dorsett. Calls them his type of players. So maybe he sees himself as a career 3/4 liner??

Of course in the same interview he said he grew up watching Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian and is thrilled to be playing with one and against the other. Said he wants to chirp Hall about being so old :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
lol, you spoke too soon.

And Horvat on TSN radio said he has liked playing between Sestito and Dorsett. Calls them his type of players. So maybe he sees himself as a career 3/4 liner??

Of course in the same interview he said he grew up watching Taylor Hall and Zack Kassian and is thrilled to be playing with one and against the other. Said he wants to chirp Hall about being so old :mrgreen:
Sounds like a team player who just wants to stick.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ClamRussel wrote: Seriously, mathonwy? No, he could use another season on the farm. It's not like tore it up down there. He improved & got consistent following a sluggish start. Up here he looked good for a few games then faded away. Kid has a ways to go yet before "there is absolutely nothing more to learn in the minors for him". He needs confidence & to better better defensively for starts. If he tears the AHL up I'll agree w/ you then.
Seriously serious.

If Kassian keeps getting all the chances in the world to earn a top 6 spot, I don't see why Jensen shouldn't get the same opportunity. Now is the time when expectations are at its lowest (which is part of the reason why I was opposed to the Miller signing).
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

The rookie most likely to make the team is a no brainer, ... which, ... unfortunately, ... reflects poorly on certain canuckscorner posters. :wow:

Linden Vey is the rookie most likely to make the team, & be on the opening roster.
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

mathonwy wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Seriously, mathonwy? No, he could use another season on the farm. It's not like tore it up down there. He improved & got consistent following a sluggish start. Up here he looked good for a few games then faded away. Kid has a ways to go yet before "there is absolutely nothing more to learn in the minors for him". He needs confidence & to better better defensively for starts. If he tears the AHL up I'll agree w/ you then.
Seriously serious.

If Kassian keeps getting all the chances in the world to earn a top 6 spot, I don't see why Jensen shouldn't get the same opportunity. Now is the time when expectations are at its lowest (which is part of the reason why I was opposed to the Miller signing).
Apples & oranges. Kassian has made the team before & excelled in 4th & 3rd line roles...thus, earning a chance on the 2nd line. Jensen needs to make the team first. So far, Shinkaruk has made the team ahead of Jensen.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ClamRussel wrote: Apples & oranges. Kassian has made the team before & excelled in 4th & 3rd line roles...thus, earning a chance on the 2nd line. Jensen needs to make the team first. So far, Shinkaruk has made the team ahead of Jensen.
Kassian made the team in 2012 because he was traded for Hodgson and in the 2013-14 season because we had no NHL ready prospects at that point of time (IE, he really didn't have all that much competition).

Alls I'm saying is based on what I saw last season, Jensen is ready for the NHL. You're right in your observation that Jensen started out strong and tailed off. The reason why he tailed off is Torts started getting false hope again in making the playoffs and stopped giving him ice time.

Is Shink having a better pre-season than Jensen? I honestly don't know as I haven't watched enough games. If its a toss up between Shink and Jensen and that decision is purely based on the preseason, then it's probably Shink then I guess?
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote:
Kassian made the team in 2012 because he was traded for Hodgson and in the 2013-14 season because we had no NHL ready prospects at that point of time (IE, he really didn't have all that much competition).

Alls I'm saying is based on what I saw last season, Jensen is ready for the NHL. You're right in your observation that Jensen started out strong and tailed off. The reason why he tailed off is Torts started getting false hope again in making the playoffs and stopped giving him ice time.
Seriously? ZK has been a .80 PPG in the AHL, whereas Jensen has been .36PPG. If there ever was someone that got an NHL spot "because we had no NHL ready prospects at that point of time", it's Jensen last season. There's also the small fact that 5 our of Jensen's 6 NHL points last season involved the Sedins on the scoresheet alongside him. Do you think he'd produce, or be effective at all, in a bottom-six role? Kassian is capable of playing anywhere in the lineup, and Jensen is not.

Now that the Canucks have more prospects close to the NHL-ready, Jensen might find it tougher to crack the roster.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

sagebrush wrote:
The rookie most likely to make the team is a no brainer, ... which, ... unfortunately, ... reflects poorly on certain canuckscorner posters. :wow:

Linden Vey is the rookie most likely to make the team, & be on the opening roster.
To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

Due to contract status, age, AHL experience, the talk from Benning when they traded for him..
Benning was asked during a formal panel address during the luncheon which of the new players he has brought in might have flown under the radar in terms of his potential impact this season. His answer: Linden Vey, who was acquired from the Los Angeles Kings for a second-round pick at June’s entry draft. Vey, 23, has spent the past three seasons in the AHL, but has appeared in 18 NHL games with the Kings. He looks to be the leading candidate for the third-line centre job.

“I think Linden Vey could be that guy for us,” said Benning. “I watched him play when I was in Boston. I saw him play quite a bit over the last three years. He played in Manchester (the Kings’ AHL club).
Vey is already a lock to make the team.