Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:12 am

Bo Horvat
54%
Hunter Shinkaruk
27%
Nicklas Jensen
15%
Frank Corrado
4%
Darren Archibald
No votes
Henrik Tommernes
No votes

Total votes: 48

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Which rookie(s) will make the team this year?

Post by Strangelove »

Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:...but we are not a SC contender on paper, so we should have room for Vey.
I like this caveat. :D

I'll put you down as cautiously optimistic. ;)
Yeah I noticed that! :lol:

Maybe he should print off one of my posts from a few months ago. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

dbr wrote: Also, because I just can't help myself.. I don't like the "here's a bunch of 50th overall picks" comparison much. Looks great for my argument with Lucic, but the teams picking those other players also had a chance to take Dalton Thrower, Nikita Kucherov, William Karlsson, Calle Jarnkrok, Johan Larsson, Richard Panik, Dmitri Orlov, Stepan, Hamonic, Anisimov, Raymond :look: .. in addition to another boatload of guys that never panned out.

There's Lucic, and a couple of other guys that Vey is unlikely to ever touch, plus a couple of much younger players younger than him PLUS in a similar spot in the big league already.
Well yeah, you can always find guys picked later that turn into pros. The vast majority do not, ultimately a draft choice gets you a prospect that may or may not become an NHL player. Benning just sped that process along and is playing the averages quite well, IMO. Vey is likely not going to be a 1st line player, but there's an almost greater chance that the draft pick never even becomes a Linden Vey.

If you don't like that view, another way of looking at it is Jason Garrison ($4.6M) for Linden Vey ($735K). Freeing up Garrisons money allowed for the Canucks to go after guys like Miller and Vrbata.
Cornuck wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:...but we are not a SC contender on paper, so we should have room for Vey.
I like this caveat. :D

I'll put you down as cautiously optimistic. ;)
I don't think anyone (maybe Doc, but he always thinks we're the best), expected this kind of start. Most of us thought we'd be better, but in tough to earn enough points. The season is still young, but it's hard to not like what we've seen thus far. Injuries look like they might be picking up, but hopefully we can ride it out with some depth from the farm. It's a long season, and it's the dog days of January and February, between the "hot starts" and the "playoff push" that will really determine what we've got here.

I think if Miller keeps playing at this level (it's a Vezina quality start, imo) there's no question we could be a threat.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
I don't think anyone (maybe Doc, but he always thinks we're the best), expected this kind of start. Most of us thought we'd be better, but in tough to earn enough points. The season is still young, but it's hard to not like what we've seen thus far. Injuries look like they might be picking up, but hopefully we can ride it out with some depth from the farm. It's a long season, and it's the dog days of January and February, between the "hot starts" and the "playoff push" that will really determine what we've got here.

I think if Miller keeps playing at this level (it's a Vezina quality start, imo) there's no question we could be a threat.
ehhhh there was Rats always positive about the team, and *ahem* I had nux pegged getting a playoff spot with this team squeaking in at the #6 spot. Just Sayin'
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Linden Vey, what a project.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Well yeah, you can always find guys picked later that turn into pros. The vast majority do not, ultimately a draft choice gets you a prospect that may or may not become an NHL player. Benning just sped that process along and is playing the averages quite well, IMO. Vey is likely not going to be a 1st line player, but there's an almost greater chance that the draft pick never even becomes a Linden Vey.

If you don't like that view, another way of looking at it is Jason Garrison ($4.6M) for Linden Vey ($735K). Freeing up Garrisons money allowed for the Canucks to go after guys like Miller and Vrbata.
Yeah I do agree. It's not ultimately sustainable but if Benning is going to take a few of these gambles up front that's fine - I agree it's reasonable and I thought it was with Gillis too.

Trouble is, it adds pressure to every other draft pick you make because if you don't hit on a player with enough of your remaining picks you're going to be doing the same thing three to four years down the line.

(Thankfully Benning seems to do well at the draft table, and has the advantage of following a regime that - at the end at least - acquired draft picks and spent them pretty well.)
damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by damonberryman »

SKYO wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

ehhhh there was Rats always positive about the team, and *ahem* I had nux pegged getting a playoff spot with this team squeaking in at the #6 spot. Just Sayin'
Moi aussi
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Watching the subway series, Virtanen is a very good passer, sees the ice very well
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Watching the subway series, Virtanen is a very good passer, sees the ice very well
He's a virtual virtuoso!

Sorry...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

RoyalDude wrote:Watching the subway series, Virtanen is a very good passer, sees the ice very well
Good to hear that he appears to be trying to add some playmaking to his repertoire, but where is his shot?
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I watched most of the 2nd game, admire the kid's rough edges. Clearly an asshole to play against.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Through 5 games, Bo Horvat has taken 52 faceoffs and won 53.8% of them. Small sample size, but impressive nonetheless. 53.8% is the highest win percentage on the team.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

herb wrote:Through 5 games, Bo Horvat has taken 52 faceoffs and won 53.8% of them. Small sample size, but impressive nonetheless. 53.8% is the highest win percentage on the team.
Yes small sample size, he did not do well last game, if you look game by game, it is all over the map and the number of draws per game is quite low.

Tough to make much sense of it yet other than to say he hasn't consistently stunk or been a Manny clone.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Tough to make much sense of it yet other than to say he hasn't consistently stunk or been a Manny clone.
Very true. Encouraging (to me at least) that he hasn't been awful.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

More encouraging than Nathan Smith ever was...
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
herb wrote:Through 5 games, Bo Horvat has taken 52 faceoffs and won 53.8% of them. Small sample size, but impressive nonetheless. 53.8% is the highest win percentage on the team.
Yes small sample size, he did not do well last game, if you look game by game, it is all over the map and the number of draws per game is quite low.

Tough to make much sense of it yet other than to say he hasn't consistently stunk or been a Manny clone.
Um, excuse me, Bo Horvat is just 19 years old. This BOlds well. Very well. I'm sure after old Trev laces 'em up and gives the kid a few pointers he will be fantastic as a 24 yr old.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)