Canucks Endless Pursuit of a QB dman

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Endless Pursuit of a QB dman

Post by SKYO »

ClamRussel wrote: We've actually been there 3x but who's counting.

Brown wasn't a "puck rusher", he was a pure QB. One of the best this club has ever seen. His game was passing & a seeing-eye accurate shot.
LoL oh right - pretty much before my time, however they got swept so it's like it didn't happen. :D

And well ya know what I mean about having those offensive type dmen! game changers.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:

Brown wasn't a "puck rusher", he was a pure QB. One of the best this club has ever seen. His game was passing & a seeing-eye accurate shot.
LoL oh right - pretty much before my time, however they got swept so it's like it didn't happen. :D

And well ya know what I mean about having those offensive type dmen! game changers.
Dafoq?!?! Swept in game 7?
If you need air...call it in
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
SKYO wrote:

The nyi/Canucks finals.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

SKYO wrote:
Topper wrote:PP are QB' from the half boards. What you need are defenders who can carry the puck, move along the line and possibly swap sides........all while having the puck on their sticks.

Not a biggie, but a bit more mobility than already in place. Edler on a good day is already there.

A return to rotating wingers rather than dropping centre will help the defenders confidence to move around the box.
True that, notice both times this team went to the finals we had good puck rusher(s)?
Not talking about someone who can rush, though that would be nice, I'm talking about a much simpler game of lateral movement along the blueline and down the wall to the half boards.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Topper wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Topper wrote:PP are QB' from the half boards. What you need are defenders who can carry the puck, move along the line and possibly swap sides........all while having the puck on their sticks.

Not a biggie, but a bit more mobility than already in place. Edler on a good day is already there.

A return to rotating wingers rather than dropping centre will help the defenders confidence to move around the box.
True that, notice both times this team went to the finals we had good puck rusher(s)?
Not talking about someone who can rush, though that would be nice, I'm talking about a much simpler game of lateral movement along the blueline and down the wall to the half boards.
Salo
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

SKYO wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:
SKYO wrote:

The nyi/Canucks finals.
Jeff Brown was '94 or am I missing something

Edit:nevermind
*(takes another double lungful and forgets what the hell is happening)
If you need air...call it in
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote:
Strangelove wrote: Give him a physical stay-at-home partner, shelter him just a tad, and turn him loose on the power play.
I dunno, watched a few Leaf games last year and Franson was pretty horrible defensively, offensively though he's great! Could be worth a shot, however our left side could really use Sbisa for depth imho.
Yeah see, the Leaves didn't shelter him last year. :hmmm:

Franson isn't great defensively (especially on a poor puck possession team such as the Leaves).

He can QB a PP quite readily though.

Like I said, we can't afford the price of a PP QB who is also solid defensively.

Franson, following a rather shitty season

... although he did lead the league in hits and was 42nd in points among defensemen

... could be had at a discounted price right now

(the fact he has been alienated from the Leaves and is a UFA next summer also contributes to this).

Check out Franson's stats from the shortened season.

He put up those numbers while on the 3rd pairing with Mark Fraser (plus PP time).

- 8th overall in points by a defenseman in the regular season.

- 10th overall in points by a defenseman in the postseason (despite the fact the Leaves only played one round).

And the "dinosaur stat" you seem to love was respectable.

Like I say, give him a physical stay-at-home partner, shelter him, and turn him loose on the PP.

As far as "left side depth" there are many who fit the bill, available on the cheap.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Puck
MVP
MVP

Post by Puck »

I don't know about this Doc... unless the guy has the offensive skills of Paul Coffey - AND we're playing 80s hockey - I don't think you can afford to carry a D-man with poor defensive skills. Move along. Look for another option.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote: Not talking about someone who can rush, though that would be nice, I'm talking about a much simpler game of lateral movement along the blueline and down the wall to the half boards.
Yeah guess we have no choice but to do that till we can find the right deal to bring in a QB.

*Vrbata and Vey will probably help fill that void with movement on the puck along the blueline and down the wall/half boards on the powerplay.
Uncle dans leg wrote: Jeff Brown was '94 or am I missing something

Edit:nevermind
*(takes another double lungful and forgets what the hell is happening)
lol :)
Last edited by SKYO on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote: Yeah see, the Leaves didn't shelter him last year. :hmmm:

Franson isn't great defensively (especially on a poor puck possession team such as the Leaves).

He can QB a PP quite readily though.

Like I said, we can't afford the price of a PP QB who is also solid defensively.

Franson, following a rather shitty season
... although he did lead the league in hits and was 42nd in points among defensemen
... could be had at a discounted price right now
Check out Franson's stats from the shortened season.
He put up those numbers while on the 3rd pairing with Mark Fraser (plus PP time).
- 8th overall in points by a defenseman in the regular season.
- 10th overall in points by a defenseman in the postseason (despite the fact the Leaves only played one round).

And the "dinosaur stat" you seem to love was respectable.

Like I say, give him a physical stay-at-home partner, shelter him, and turn him loose on the PP.

As far as "left side depth" there are many who fit the bill, available on the cheap.
Very convincing SL wonder if Nonis/leaves would do a Hansen for Franson swap?

Clearing a forward spot for Horvat to stay with the big club, we need his 2-way game on the 3rd line center position, and hope to god he's above average on faceoffs, well at least better than Vey & Matthias.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

From what I've read about Vey, he's a pretty good faceoff guy in the "A".
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Puck wrote:I don't know about this Doc... unless the guy has the offensive skills of Paul Coffey - AND we're playing 80s hockey - I don't think you can afford to carry a D-man with poor defensive skills. Move along. Look for another option.
Yeah, it's risky in a few ways.

There's a risk he might not improve his defensive skills.

There's a risk we might not be able to re-sign him.

There's a risk his next contract (if we give him one) might be an albatross (~$3.5m-per over 5 years?)

There's a risk he might not perform better within an actual system.

But hey, all these reasons add up to an affordable trade price-tag for a proven RHS PP QB amirite? :wink:

Not sure how else we might get one at this particular point in time.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

SKYO wrote: Very convincing SL wonder if Nonis/leaves would do a Hansen for Franson swap?
The Leaves already stand to lose a few forwards to waivers (oops there goes the "depth" they keep talking about).

What they really need to do right now is trade Franson for a Top 6 LHS dee.

All this talk about the Leaves defense prospects is balderdash (they all suck).

If the Leaves were offered a bonafide LHS Top 5-6 LHS dee in a deal for Franson they'd likely be all over that.

The following would be better, more balanced, than what they have:

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Sbisa - Polak

PLUS: an extra $1.2m in cap space (they're right up against it)
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Tank it for Hanafin/Kylington or draft Jeremy Roy somewhere between 8th pick and 16th pick
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Maybe just maybe 29 other teams will be so much better than us that it will appear like tanking even though we tried our best...that or trades work.
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….