Canucks Endless Pursuit of a QB dman

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Canucks Endless Pursuit of a QB dman

Post by SKYO »

imo this team still needs to find a right side QB dman to help with our transition game and the powerplay,
*bonus is if that QB dman can play with Edler to help jumpstart his lackluster play of late.

Who should Benning target?

past canuck qb's...

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Endless Pursuit of a QB dman

Post by ClamRussel »

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

It's a relevant issue... once that REALLY applies to the Lions going fwd as well re: quarterback.
cc oldtimer
The_Pauser
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by The_Pauser »

I'm intrigued by the situation in Nashville regarding Ryan Ellis. Wouldn't mind working out a Jensen-Ellis swap.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

nuckster wrote:It's a relevant issue... once that REALLY applies to the Lions going fwd as well re: quarterback.
yeah, but, does his NHL salary count against the CFL salary cap?? If it does, the Lions will be an army of one :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

The_Pauser wrote:I'm intrigued by the situation in Nashville regarding Ryan Ellis. Wouldn't mind working out a Jensen-Ellis swap.
You didn't answer me in the other thread.. are you really a Canuck fan or are you a troll?

Jensen is the closest thing we have to a Canuck drafted forward prospect that has a legitimate chance of making our top 6 and you want to trade him for a defenseman?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

We can't afford what it would cost for a top-pairing RHS PP QB.

I think the most we could afford would be a #4 RHS PP QB who you need to protect just a tad.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Cody Franson (and hey Dude, he's a BC boy!).

Pretty sure the Leaves are looking for a LHS dee at this point (Phanny prefers the RS).

And the Leaves are always in the market for a snarlyman (atm they want ones who can play).

Sbisa for Franson.

Leaves have plenty of offensive (pardon the pun) defensemen.

So we have...

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Edler - Tanev
Stanton - Franson

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - Robidas
Sbisa - Polak

I think this is a good deal for both teams in the here & now.

Edler and Franson on the #1PP.

I think its hard for folks to see Franson for what he really is, given the shitshow at the Centre of the Universe.

Give him a physical stay-at-home partner, shelter him just a tad, and turn him loose on the power play.
____
Try to focus on someday.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Doc, do we know what we would be giving up in Sbisa yet?
I just figured out how to pronounce his name

my thought would be that we need to either grow one of our own, or pilfer a diamond in the rough from a newb GM somehow
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Won't Franson be a FA next season? I know that doesn't help us this year though.
The only HW the Canucks need
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

PP QBs are hard to come by, especially when you: (A) want your D men to be effective in their own end of the rink; & (B) don't want no stinkin cream puffs.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Strangelove wrote:We can't afford what it would cost for a top-pairing RHS PP QB.

I think the most we could afford would be a #4 RHS PP QB who you need to protect just a tad.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you... Cody Franson (and hey Dude, he's a BC boy!).

Sbisa for Franson.

Edler and Franson on the #1PP.

I think its hard for folks to see Franson for what he really is, given the shitshow at the Centre of the Universe.

Give him a physical stay-at-home partner, shelter him just a tad, and turn him loose on the power play.
I dunno, watched a few Leaf games last year and Franson was pretty horrible defensively, offensively though he's great! Could be worth a shot, however our left side could really use Sbisa for depth imho.
The_Pauser wrote:I'm intrigued by the situation in Nashville regarding Ryan Ellis. Wouldn't mind working out a Jensen-Ellis swap.
Ryan Ellis - 80gp 6g 21a 27pts, +9, 24pim.
Gotta be better defensively than -20 Franson!

I'd be hesitant to give up Jensen right now.(gotta give to get, I understand but I'd see if there's something else that can be offered)

Just checked the status on their contract negotiations and it seems like Poile won't trade Ellis!?
GM's always say that though aha.

http://predlines.com/2014/09/20/predato ... amp-video/
Nashville Predators general manager David Poile addressed the media today and discussed the ongoing situation with restricted free-agent Ryan Ellis.

Ellis, a 23-year-old defensemen, had 27-points in 80-games last season for Nashville. The undersized defensemen seems to be asking for a contract that the Predators simply do not agree with in terms of the money involved.

Poile made it very clear that Nashville wants Ellis to be a part of their hockey team and that he won’t be traded.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

PP are QB' from the half boards. What you need are defenders who can carry the puck, move along the line and possibly swap sides........all while having the puck on their sticks.

Not a biggie, but a bit more mobility than already in place. Edler on a good day is already there.

A return to rotating wingers rather than dropping centre will help the defenders confidence to move around the box.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Zedlee
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Zedlee »

Agree with the OP. Oh man would I love to see a guy like Erhoff on our team again.

I'm sure Benning will be doing everything he can to find a guy like this. He saw first hand what a stud D man means to a team (Chara).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Topper wrote:PP are QB' from the half boards. What you need are defenders who can carry the puck, move along the line and possibly swap sides........all while having the puck on their sticks.

Not a biggie, but a bit more mobility than already in place. Edler on a good day is already there.

A return to rotating wingers rather than dropping centre will help the defenders confidence to move around the box.
True that, notice both times this team went to the finals we had good puck rusher(s)?

1994 - Lumme/Brown.

2011 - Edler/Ehrhoff.

Helps with the dynamics of a deadly offensive attack when you have a high point producing dmen on the point from the 5on5 to the powerplay.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:
Topper wrote:PP are QB' from the half boards. What you need are defenders who can carry the puck, move along the line and possibly swap sides........all while having the puck on their sticks.

True that, notice both times this team went to the finals we had good puck rusher(s)?

1994 - Lumme/Brown.

2011 - Edler/Ehrhoff.

Helps with the dynamics of a deadly offensive attack when you have a high point producing dmen on the point from the 5on5 to the powerplay.
We've actually been there 3x but who's counting.

Brown wasn't a "puck rusher", he was a pure QB. One of the best this club has ever seen. His game was passing & a seeing-eye accurate shot.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy