Diluting the Talent Pool...Again

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Diluting the Talent Pool...Again

Post by ClamRussel »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Vegas would be a great addition to the league . As for the Nordiques they were losing money by the tens of millions . The building was falling apart . Why exactly shouldn't they have moved the team ? Wake up for Christ sakes.
Unlike the 1/5 of the NHL today. If the Nords were losing that much $ it was because of the CDN peso. Where was the NHL then to help out or equalize the disadvantage Canadian teams faced? Remember your Canucks were only a quarter away from relocating. Blob, that, unlike Phoenix, was a market worth saving. A real market. Wtf is Florida?
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Vegas would be like NHL-Disneyland. Seriously bad.

What about Winnipeg in these days, they're making profit. Could expect the same for Quebec...
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Bottom line on any of these cities is where is the corporate sponsorship base coming from?

Vegas? - Hotels buying up boxes to hand out to the low rollers on a stag from Timmins? not going to work.

Quebec? - Didn't work the first time due a large part to this very reason. Doesn't anyone there with a job work for the government?

Seattle - The owner of the white Prius, you've left your lights on......oh, they're out now. Hope the line up is micro and soft. Coho

Portland - Sponsored by a bicycle rack maker?

I saw contract by four teams, just which four?
Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Phoenix or
LA, Anaheim, San Jose, and Chicago
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Tiger
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Tiger »

Of course this would be a good deal for the Nucks.. Say Seattle and Portland get franchises ? Might be 2 teams the Canucks can win against ? or we could unload a few hasbeen players on the new teams ?

I am remembering the days when the Canucks were the expansion team.. More Laffs and Montreal sweaters at the Coloseum than Canucks sweaters.. We went to see the " Greats " of other teams playing hockey and the odd time the Canucks would actually beat the odds and win..
" If you cant beat them in the alley - you can't beat them on the ice
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

...and suddenly the Scott Walkers of the nhl are in the allstar game.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

For the record, the new owners of the Panthers should be given the time to make a run here. Keep in mind the team's dismal record under the previous ownership/management group doesn't exactly translate into butts in seats.

When the Panthers made a run and made the playoffs, there was a ton of interest and the seats were getting sold. People need a reason to go. Just having a franchise isn't reason enough.

There _is_ a fan base here.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Kowch wrote:For the record, the new owners of the Panthers should be given the time to make a run here. Keep in mind the team's dismal record under the previous ownership/management group doesn't exactly translate into butts in seats.

When the Panthers made a run and made the playoffs, there was a ton of interest and the seats were getting sold. People need a reason to go. Just having a franchise isn't reason enough.

I agree 100%. They need to be given a chance to turn it around and so far they are saying all the right things. Now that they have Luongo back they should be very competitive in the a East. Some great young players, a GM who helped re-build the Black Hawks, and new money. Give them five years and if they are still floundering then think of moving the franchise.
The only HW the Canucks need
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Kowch wrote:For the record, the new owners of the Panthers should be given the time to make a run here. Keep in mind the team's dismal record under the previous ownership/management group doesn't exactly translate into butts in seats.

I agree 100%. They need to be given a chance to turn it around and so far they are saying all the right things. Now that they have Luongo back they should be very competitive in the a East. Some great young players, a GM who helped re-build the Black Hawks, and new money. Give them five years and if they are still floundering then think of moving the franchise.
I say move the Panthers now.

#luongoswifelovesseattle
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Has there been a time the past 15 years where Florida hasn't had great prospects? It has never worked for them. They are anti-rebuild.
Kowch
CC Veteran

Post by Kowch »

BigTuna wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

Has there been a time the past 15 years where Florida hasn't had great prospects? It has never worked for them. They are anti-rebuild.
Yes, actually. There was a time they (under the previous ownership) were more interested in getting veteran guys than developing the farm. As HW pointed out, they've now got a GM that knows how to build and ownership that is willing to spend to the cap for the first time in I can't remember how long.

I'm not saying it's a slam dunk they'll stay here - they don't own the arena so don't get the maximum from the revenue. They've lost a bunch of money year over year over the last decade and attendance has sagged (but then again the product on the ice has been brutal for much of that time). It'll be interesting to see how many people start showing up for games especially if they can get it together this season and start winning.

I think with the moves they made this off season it's a good possibility that they will win more games which will directly translate into butts in seats.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

ukcanuck wrote: I say move the Panthers now.

#luongoswifelovesseattle
Hell yeah, Seattle Totems - Luongo vs Vancouver Canucks - Miller, rivalry born again!
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote: Hell yeah, Seattle Totems - Luongo vs Vancouver Canucks - Miller, rivalry born again!

1917 Stanley Cup Champs

Would be apropos if they entered the NHL in 2017.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

SKYO wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: I say move the Panthers now.

#luongoswifelovesseattle
Hell yeah, Seattle Totems (1917) - Luongo vs Vancouver Millionaires (1915) - Miller, rivalry born again!
Fixed
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

A18/CR got it right - this seems like a historic west coast rivalry finally coming back into fruition, putting $$$$ back into Bettman's/I mean NHL's pockets', so much tech $ thriving here in Seattle/Vancouver, it only makes sense for the NHL to get some of the profit...it can only benefit the many hockey fans here on the west coast.

Only NYC can stop it, as they only want a EASTCOAST dominant culture.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Aaronp18 wrote:
SKYO wrote: Hell yeah, Seattle Totems - Luongo vs Vancouver Canucks - Miller, rivalry born again!

1917 Stanley Cup Champs

Would be apropos if they entered the NHL in 2017.
Now there's a sweater.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.