31 days until puck drop

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

31 days until puck drop

Post by Hockey Widow »

Because it is still summer and because I have an itch so bad, I counted the days until the first pre-season game. Talk about a useless thread, but it only has to hang around for 31 days.

I have not been this pumped for the season to start in a long time. I have no illusions that were a a contender and perhaps that's why the excitement is so strong.there is no fear we will lose. I expect the team to play an exciting brand of hockey and I expect them to make the playoffs. Anything past that will be a pleasant bonus.

Looking forward to seeing Vey, Sbisa, Bonino, Miller and Verbata all play. Hoping Horvat makes the cut and a few other kids make a good impression. Can't wait to see Willy behind the bench and his post gamers. Looking forward to a Benning interview along the way.

The countdown is on, wonder who we get to do the play by play?

See, a really silly thread.

Oh, and I wonder if Oscar Pistorious will be convicted?
The only HW the Canucks need
Overtime
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: 31 days until puck drop

Post by Overtime »

I think you speak for most H.W. Its like waiting for your favorite T.V. series to start up again after half of the cast has changed.
I do not feel very optimistic about this upcoming season but it will no doubt be interesting. So many question marks
all around.
What is underneath this "veiled brides" dress!?
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:Because it is still summer and because I have an itch so bad...
Overtime wrote: What is underneath this "veiled brides" dress!?
:twisted:

Joking aside, I too am encouraged by the changes made this off-season.

Soooo much drama, shown the door. :thumbs:

This new regime comes with a integrity, respect, experience and passion.

To me, Vey and Bonino are the most intriguing acquisitions of the off-season.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect out of Sbisa. He has more games than Tanev and Stanton combined, yet still the youngest of the (projected) top 7.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

When the Canucks signed Miller I was on the fence. I understood why but part of me wanted to give the two Swedes a chance. But as the summer wore on the Miller signing gave me hope. Now I find myself feeling optimistic that we can still compete in the West for a playoff spot. I now love the signing.

All in all I think Benning and company have done an outstanding job re-tooling the team and making us younger.

Less pressure watching games when you are not seen as a contender.
The only HW the Canucks need
bckev
CC Veteran

Post by bckev »

I am with you HW. I am tired of reading people speculation on how good or lousy our new guys will be. I have my tickets to young stars so I can see for myself. I am not expecting lots but I won't be surprised if the canucks aren't one of the surprises of the year.I think there are more moves coming in the first few weeks of the season.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Hockey Widow wrote:When the Canucks signed Miller I was on the fence. I understood why but part of me wanted to give the two Swedes a chance. But as the summer wore on the Miller signing gave me hope. Now I find myself feeling optimistic that we can still compete in the West for a playoff spot. I now love the signing.
Miller alone should get this rebounding club back into the post-season. Having said that, I don't want to see either Lack or Jacob moved, as they both still have a tonne of upside.

If Markstrom were to loaned to the SEL for a year, would he need to clear waivers upon returning? I wonder if it's in both parties best interest to consider this option.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Hockey Widow wrote:When the Canucks signed Miller I was on the fence. I understood why but part of me wanted to give the two Swedes a chance. But as the summer wore on the Miller signing gave me hope. Now I find myself feeling optimistic that we can still compete in the West for a playoff spot. I now love the signing.
My thoughts exactly.

Miyagi loves all things goaltending and I was quite content going with the Swedish towers in 14-15 (maybe subconsciously wanting a bad finish in the standings?) but what Miller does is make this team competitive.

If our offence remains as anaemic as it has the last couple of seasons then we may need #30 to squeeze out some 2-1, 3-1 wins. If he can steal 10-15 games this year thats a huge 20-30 points.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

I am surprisingly comfortable with our team right now. I believe we will fight for 7th/8th in the West, and watch some our young guys get a chance. It'll be interesting to see what kind of progress Stanton, Sbisa and Vey make, as well as whomever steps up from the AHL. BTW, Hansen will have a career year :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

All in all I think Benning and company have done an outstanding job re-tooling the team and making us younger.

Less pressure watching games when you are not seen as a contender.
What has me most excited about this signing is that we now have a legitimate starting goaltender.....one who has a good pedigree and is still arguably top 15 in the league......but he isn't locked up to a bazillion year contract.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I think Linden and Benning are convinced they will sneak into the playoffs. I hope they are right but I also hope to see some of the kids get a good look see throughout the season. Everything I've read about Vey makes me wonder why we got him so cheap. I like Bonino and was hoping that he would be a part of any deal for Kesler. Shinkaruk and Horvat are both working hard to make sending them down a very difficult decision. I'm hoping McCann comes to camp with some of the snarl he is supposed to have. Sbisa is an intriguing prospect. Just a few short years ago he was a very highly rated D, so does he or doesn't he still have what every scout thought they saw. Dorset can play and will protect his teammates. I like Matthias. He has good size and uses the body. There are a lot of good signs for the future but that future is about 3 to 4 years away. Then again maybe my view has been skewed by the fact that the Canucks never give the kids enough chances. If they do maybe we will be a contender quicker.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BladesofSteel wrote: If Markstrom were to loaned to the SEL for a year, would he need to clear waivers upon returning? I wonder if it's in both parties best interest to consider this option.
Pretty sure Markstrom would need to clear waivers before being loaned to the SEL.

Or any other league (including AHL).
____
Try to focus on someday.