The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by BigTuna »

Hockey Widow wrote:If Bernier had not been hurt I think they would have made the playoffs. The problem is they have absolutely destroyed Reimer and have lost confidence in him. Should he be called upon again to play a significant number of games they are toast.

Do they have more than new centre this year? Can't seem to see where they have fixed that. Was Dianna traded yet? Can't seem to see where they have fixed that.
Reimer is a terrific goalie to have as a backup. He has a .914 save % in his career on the leaves. do you have any idea how good that is for your backup?
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

BigTuna wrote:
And BTW, Phil Kessel is 26 and hasn't missed a game in years.
If he's been so good, why has your team sucked such ass the whole time?
If you need air...call it in
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

BigTuna wrote: Reimer is a terrific goalie to have as a backup. He has a .914 save % in his career on the leaves. do you have any idea how good that is for your backup?
.914 is a little lower than we've been used to, but I can see how you'd be happy with that.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
BigTuna wrote:
And BTW, Phil Kessel is 26 and hasn't missed a game in years.
If he's been so good, why has your team sucked such ass the whole time?
Hockey is a team game. Y'know like how Columbus blew when superstar Jeff Carter was on them.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Cornuck wrote:
BigTuna wrote: Reimer is a terrific goalie to have as a backup. He has a .914 save % in his career on the leaves. do you have any idea how good that is for your backup?
.914 is a little lower than we've been used to, but I can see how you'd be happy with that.
You're actually putting down .914 for a career for a backup when he's constantly facing the most shots in the league? He has 2 920 save% + seasons as a starter. Trust me, EVERYONE would be happy with that.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Ya everybody was sure happy with James last year. Everyone was singing his praises and so thankful Nonis held onto to him. Especially when they had to play him instead of letting him sit on the bench. Leaf nuts were celebrating in the streets having him guide them to their demise and another season of no playoffs.

Yes indeed, happy to have him. In fact trade Bernier for some solid pieces I mean after all he is redundant with Reimer there. What a waste if cap space, and we know all about that!

Wasn't that long ago he was being heralded as a number one by a team that didn't think they could benefit with someone, like I dunno, Luongo.

Now he is a gifted back up. How the mighty have fallen.
The only HW the Canucks need
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Any idea when we can have a Leves thread ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Phil Kessel will score 90 points this year and everyone in Toronto will think he is the chosen one and ignore the fact that he still finishes a minus-20.

The leaves will miss the playoffs in a shootout loss.

More excuses will be made about how and why they missed the post-season and that it was all bounces and they really do have a good team that is just "right there".

They will end up with a middling 1st round pick.

Then they will overpay on a shitty free agent.....because that is just what they do.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote:
Cornuck wrote:
You're actually putting down .914 for a career for a backup when he's constantly facing the most shots in the league? He has 2 920 save% + seasons as a starter. Trust me, EVERYONE would be happy with that.
Yeah.....2 seasons as a starter. 2 seasons in which he didn't even play 40 games!

Talk to us about Reimer being a starting goaltender when he actually plays half of a full season.

Do you even think about the stats you use to back up your shit?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:Ya everybody was sure happy with James last year. Everyone was singing his praises and so thankful Nonis held onto to him. Especially when they had to play him instead of letting him sit on the bench. Leaf nuts were celebrating in the streets having him guide them to their demise and another season of no playoffs.

Yes indeed, happy to have him. In fact trade Bernier for some solid pieces I mean after all he is redundant with Reimer there. What a waste if cap space, and we know all about that!

Wasn't that long ago he was being heralded as a number one by a team that didn't think they could benefit with someone, like I dunno, Luongo.

Now he is a gifted back up. How the mighty have fallen.
Yeah.....look at what Nonis and Burke's hard-on for taking down GMMG did for Toronto. They could have had Luongo for essentially peanuts. Instead they end up with Reimer and Bernier. A couple of guys who still haven't really carried the load for a team through an entire season yet.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: A few remarks:

Nash is not "Coming Around" at all. He's playing the worst hockey of his career. He was terrible in the playoffs.
Nash was terrible offensively, but he wasn't just floating the way he has in so many past seasons. He actually engaged physically more than before. But again, why you brought Nash into this is beyond me. I already think he's completely overpaid.
Tuna wrote: And HNIC has mocked Kessel a lot. So praising him once hardly proves anything.
Once? LOL!
Tuna wrote: Kessel had 2 game winners, and 6 points in 7 games in the playoffs for the leaves. He has 13 goals, 21 points in 22 playoff games.
The "200 Foot" game is such a lame argument for Jeff Carter. Do you think the league's top scorers don't play that?
Actually I think that the league's top scorers do play that for the most part. I'm not sure what you're getting at?
Tuna wrote: "Overall Points is a Mickey Mouse Stat". LOL That's a classic.
The way you are trying to use it, yes it is. Give a few other top scorers the same number of games and Kessel would probably drop out of the top 10.
Tuna wrote: Kessel has been PPG in an 82 game schedule BTW.
Where did I ever say he wasn't? :eh:

All I said is that he's not the 2nd highest P/G scorer over the last 3 years.
Tuna wrote: And to correct you, Kessel was top 5 in assists in 2013'. You are incorrect.
Kessel finished with 43 assists in 2013-14.....17th overall. He finished 6th in overall points. 22nd in P/G.

Kessel finished with 32 assists in 2012-13.....15th overall. He finished 8th in overall points. 11th in P/G.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... me=assists

Check both years.

Maybe you could actually learn how to read a stats sheet before telling me I'm incorrect.

Tuna wrote:And being healthy is an important part to a player's worth to a team.
Again making an argument for something that nobody is arguing about in order to what, give yourself points for at least being right about something? :roll:

Kessel is the 10th highest cap hit in the NHL going into this year. The original point behind all of this is that he's overpaid. He is not the 10th best player in the league. He scores points, but there are at least 30 other players that people would rather have on their team. Just look at the all-star game where he was picked last by the respective team captains.....even his peers agree with that.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:Phil Kessel will score 90 points this year and everyone in Toronto will think he is the chosen one and ignore the fact that he still finishes a minus-20.

The leaves will miss the playoffs in a shootout loss.

More excuses will be made about how and why they missed the post-season and that it was all bounces and they really do have a good team that is just "right there".

They will end up with a middling 1st round pick.

Then they will overpay on a shitty free agent.....because that is just what they do.
Yeah, Mike Santonelli and Daniel Winnik are sure ..overpaid
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote:
BigTuna wrote: A few remarks:

Nash is not "Coming Around" at all. He's playing the worst hockey of his career. He was terrible in the playoffs.
Nash was terrible offensively, but he wasn't just floating the way he has in so many past seasons. He actually engaged physically more than before. But again, why you brought Nash into this is beyond me. I already think he's completely overpaid.
Tuna wrote: And HNIC has mocked Kessel a lot. So praising him once hardly proves anything.
Once? LOL!
Tuna wrote: Kessel had 2 game winners, and 6 points in 7 games in the playoffs for the leaves. He has 13 goals, 21 points in 22 playoff games.
The "200 Foot" game is such a lame argument for Jeff Carter. Do you think the league's top scorers don't play that?
Actually I think that the league's top scorers do play that for the most part. I'm not sure what you're getting at?
Tuna wrote: "Overall Points is a Mickey Mouse Stat". LOL That's a classic.
The way you are trying to use it, yes it is. Give a few other top scorers the same number of games and Kessel would probably drop out of the top 10.
Tuna wrote: Kessel has been PPG in an 82 game schedule BTW.
Where did I ever say he wasn't? :eh:

All I said is that he's not the 2nd highest P/G scorer over the last 3 years.
Tuna wrote: And to correct you, Kessel was top 5 in assists in 2013'. You are incorrect.
Kessel finished with 43 assists in 2013-14.....17th overall. He finished 6th in overall points. 22nd in P/G.

Kessel finished with 32 assists in 2012-13.....15th overall. He finished 8th in overall points. 11th in P/G.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm? ... me=assists

Check both years.

Maybe you could actually learn how to read a stats sheet before telling me I'm incorrect.

Tuna wrote:And being healthy is an important part to a player's worth to a team.
Again making an argument for something that nobody is arguing about in order to what, give yourself points for at least being right about something? :roll:

Kessel is the 10th highest cap hit in the NHL going into this year. The original point behind all of this is that he's overpaid. He is not the 10th best player in the league. He scores points, but there are at least 30 other players that people would rather have on their team. Just look at the all-star game where he was picked last by the respective team captains.....even his peers agree with that.
An exhibition game with a gimmick hardly proves anything.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Has anybody mentioned how Phat Phil had a dismal .442 CF% last season? (just a note that he was one of the worst players in the league in that category)

There's nothing wrong with Phil Kessel, BTW (aside from him being fat and disgustingly ugly, that is). There is something wrong with thinking you can build a contending team around a one-way winger. LOL I <3 Burkie!

I can't wait for Clarkson to go on a bit of stretch where he actually put up some points so I can watch Leaf Nation try to justify that awful signing.
Last edited by herb on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

BigTuna wrote: And BTW, Phil Kessel is 26 and hasn't missed a game in years.
BTW Phil Kessel is about to turn 27 and is hideously ugly.

Seguin has been pretty healthy too...plus he's a center, plus he's only 22, plus his advanced stats actually look pretty snazzy unlike Phat Phil who gets dramatically outshot while he is on the ice. At least the getting outshot thing ensures Phil fits in pretty well in Toronto