The Official Dave Ayres CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Mickey107
MVP
MVP

Re: The Official CC "All Thing Leaves" thread

Post by Mickey107 »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 pm Hmmmm interesting that the Islanders are doing better without JT.
He looks smaller in a leaf jersey.
"evolution"
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Reefer2 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:45 pm Hmmmm interesting that the Islanders are doing better without JT.
Not really. Their coaching is sooo much better. Trotz is great. Weight was a joke.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

For Tavares sake alone I hope the Isles somehow face the Leaves in the first round and sweep JT right outta there in 4 routs. From all appearances The guy handled his pending free agency like a complete prick.

I don’t fault a guy for wanting to test the waters and go play at home for his favourite childhood team. In fact I applaud the system that permits after a guy has put in his time with whoever drafted him. But after that many years, and being the captain and franchise player, a guy who ownership and management treated well.....to not just tell the team that he appreciates them for all they’ve done for him but he’s testing the waters because he really would love to play at home, and if he gets a legit offer he’s gone.....total douche. At least let the guys who made you a multi-millionaire attempt to save face and salvage a shitty situation by moving you at the deadline.

But no. He only cares about John. I hope the hockey gods put a career hex on him and the closest he ever gets to the big dance is a game 7 conference final loss.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

The hockey gods are just sitting back laughing. Hes a leaf now for the rest of his career. What more can they do to ruin him that he hasnt already done to himself
If you need air...call it in
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm For Tavares sake alone I hope the Isles somehow face the Leaves in the first round and sweep JT right outta there in 4 routs. From all appearances The guy handled his pending free agency like a complete prick.

I don’t fault a guy for wanting to test the waters and go play at home for his favourite childhood team. In fact I applaud the system that permits after a guy has put in his time with whoever drafted him. But after that many years, and being the captain and franchise player, a guy who ownership and management treated well.....to not just tell the team that he appreciates them for all they’ve done for him but he’s testing the waters because he really would love to play at home, and if he gets a legit offer he’s gone.....total douche. At least let the guys who made you a multi-millionaire attempt to save face and salvage a shitty situation by moving you at the deadline.

But no. He only cares about John. I hope the hockey gods put a career hex on him and the closest he ever gets to the big dance is a game 7 conference final loss.
It's interesting to me that suddenly it was a lock all along Tavares was going to Toronto and never wanted to stay in Long Island. I NEVER heard that prior to July 1st. Toronto was not seen as a team that had much of a chance. It was San Jose, Tampa or the Islanders in almost everyone's mind.

It's very clear even the night before July 1st, Tavares was still considering the Islanders. They were a strong contender all along. If Toronto wasn't as strong in terms of a chance of winning, he never goes there. This was far from just a hometown thing.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Save your breath about Torontos Defence

While less content fans continue to be loudly outspoken about Torontos Defence, Torontos Defence has been quietly proving to be one of the leagues most consistent coming up on the 15 game mark in the season.

Reference points:
-Toronto has 5th best Goal Differential In the league
-Toronto tied for 10th best record in Goals against
-Toronto has 12th best record in shots against
-Toronto has 6th best Pentalty Kill percentage in the league
-Morgan Rielly (D) Leads all league Defenceman in points
-Ron Hainsey (D) sits tied for 6th best +/- of all NHL Defenceman while Kasperi Kapanen (F) sits in the top 20 +/- of all NHL players.
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:31 am Save your breath about Torontos Defence

While less content fans continue to be loudly outspoken about Torontos Defence, Torontos Defence has been quietly proving to be one of the leagues most consistent coming up on the 15 game mark in the season.

Reference points:
-Ron Hainsey (D) sits tied for 6th best +/- of all NHL Defenceman while Kasperi Kapanen (F) sits in the top 20 +/- of all NHL players.
Yet you still have no D or a goalie that has a record of stepping up when it matters the most.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Reefer2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am

Reference points:
Yet you still have no D or a goalie that has a record of stepping up when it matters the most.

No D? Seen Rielly play?
The Ga and shots are coming down every day.
And "Matters Most" means you have to ignore his Vezina type numbers now. LOL. Maybe they should trade for Bobrovsky. What a playoff record he has and is only asking for 10 million per on a new contract.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:20 am
Mëds wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:47 pm For Tavares sake alone I hope the Isles somehow face the Leaves in the first round and sweep JT right outta there in 4 routs. From all appearances The guy handled his pending free agency like a complete prick.

It's interesting to me that suddenly it was a lock all along Tavares was going to Toronto and never wanted to stay in Long Island. I NEVER heard that prior to July 1st. Toronto was not seen as a team that had much of a chance. It was San Jose, Tampa or the Islanders in almost everyone's mind.

It's very clear even the night before July 1st, Tavares was still considering the Islanders. They were a strong contender all along. If Toronto wasn't as strong in terms of a chance of winning, he never goes there. This was far from just a hometown thing.
https://twitter.com/91Tavares/status/10 ... 4034179072

Yeah. Ok there Tuna. This was far from a hometown thing. :roll:
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

Mëds wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:35 pm

https://twitter.com/91Tavares/status/10 ... 4034179072

Yeah. Ok there Tuna. This was far from a hometown thing. :roll:
So if the Toronto stinks, you think he still goes there? Of course not.
And no one thought he'd go to the leaves anyways. So where was that thought-process the week leading-up to his signing.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am

Reference points:

No D? Seen Rielly play?
The Ga and shots are coming down every day.
And "Matters Most" means you have to ignore his Vezina type numbers now. LOL. Maybe they should trade for Bobrovsky. What a playoff record he has and is only asking for 10 million per on a new contract.
The goals and shots against come down every day? Wot about the days they don’t play?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm
Reefer2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:51 am Yet you still have no D or a goalie that has a record of stepping up when it matters the most.
No D? Seen Rielly play?
Mama: "One half decent dman does not a team D make... honey."

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm The Ga and shots are coming down every day.
Goals For have been coming down at a greater rate than Goals Against.

But whatevs, keep bragging about dat dere team that can't win in the playoffs...

BigTuna wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:26 pm And "Matters Most" means you have to ignore his Vezina type numbers now. LOL. Maybe they should trade for Bobrovsky. What a playoff record he has and is only asking for 10 million per on a new contract.
Gee willikers, did Tuner finally admit Mr Andersen sucks in the playoffs? :wow:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BigTuna
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BigTuna »

The problem with Toronto is not D, goaltending. It is the coach.

1. Zach Hyman, 21:24

That was the forward last night with the most TOI. approx. 6 hours prior to the game yesterday, Babcock mentioned the issue with the poor home record was low shooting % at home. What's the answer? Play a guy who is useless offensively the most of course!

Kapanen can't get PP time though and Hyman can get over 4 minutes PP time per game..
Lancer
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Lancer »

BigTuna wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:38 am The problem with Toronto is not D, goaltending. It is the coach.

1. Zach Hyman, 21:24

That was the forward last night with the most TOI. approx. 6 hours prior to the game yesterday, Babcock mentioned the issue with the poor home record was low shooting % at home. What's the answer? Play a guy who is useless offensively the most of course!

Kapanen can't get PP time though and Hyman can get over 4 minutes PP time per game..
Uh...

huh...

So now it’s the coach’s fault, right?

The same coach you guys were crowing about when he signed there after his glory years and multiple Cups in Detroit? The same Olympic Gold Medal-winning coach that everyone in Hogtown said was going to take their wretched team back to glory years only their grandfathers had witnessed?

Yeah, how’s that going?

BTW, Paul Maurice says hi after Winnipeg’s playoff run last year - with no Generational messiah like Matthews or McJesus. Just a team with good talent depth up front and a solid blueline to go with superior goaltending - things your team does not have.

Thing is, I see your comments above as the bow-wave of the next chapter in the Sportsnet/TSN slobber-fest. Shit-can Babcock! It’s the coach’s fault! If only we had a coach with the pedigree to take us to the promised land... hey wait a minute! Who just came on the market??? Of COURSE Quenneville wants to coach the leaves! It’ll be his dream come true!!! Just a phone call from Shanahan, and it’s a done deal! Blablahblahblah.....

Let’s just say that I find your latest wet fart and it’s timing...

...a little funny-smelling.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

I suppose in fairness, nobody thought the Leaves would be able to keep Nylander while signing Tavares to a UFA contract.

This has turned out to be true.