What does being a "REAL" Canucks Fan mean to you?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

What does being a "REAL" Canucks Fan mean to you?

Post by Betamax »

via: http://canuckscorner.com/forums/viewtop ... 25#p211462

Out of the entire diatribe//rant produced by Nucklehead the other day, I could write that I found one (just one) interesting sentence out of it .....
Island Nucklehead wrote:This is a place for REAL Canucks Fans.

//rant.
It got me to thinking .... what does it mean to be a "REAL" Canucks Fan? What are the attributes that separate a Fan from being "REAL" to being uhhhhh, counterfeit?

Does everyone have to conform to a certain standard to be classified as a "REAL" Canucks Fans to you?

Those that don't qualify would be classed in a lower tier, either those "bandwagon" Fans who suddenly appear (during the Playoffs -- when the team gets there that is) or do we call them "pseudo" fans?

IMO, an interesting side bar to this topic was a couple of replies to the following exchange between a few CC forum members via that same thread:
Topper wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote: In what fucking nightmare is Eklund considered a legitimate source?
In the same nightmare that Pierre McGuire is an NHL coach and Cody Hodgson is a #1 centre.
Anybody that believes either of those things is a fucking idiot .
Not sure on PM, but I recall plenty of "elite shot", "elite level passing" and Adam Oates comparisons when CoHo was in a Canuck uniform. I also recall being the person laughing loudest at those praises.
The replies:
Groovypippin wrote:
damonberryman wrote:I will always have good memories of CoHo just based on that slapper in Boston as he was coming down the wing, and Thomas did not see it coming. I sure cheered that goal.
Me too. That goal was a beauty.

I've never understood the compulsion of so many sports fans to fanatically idolize people on their team and demonize them if and when they leave.

The point "Groovypippin" made is an interesting one. From my observations there has been a tendency by some "Fans" to subject players that leave the team to be, uhhhh, "Dead to them" after they are shipped away or sign a UFA contract etc..

Now, I think ones personal feelings on said players after they leave should depend on the circumstances on how they left. In the case of Cody, well ..... I think the situation became difficult due to the actions of both sides, so I wouldn't lay the blame solely on the player or his family. Image
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Re: What does being a "REAL" Canucks Fan mean to you?

Post by ukcanuck »

Aren't you the guy that wouldn't cheer for Team Canada at Sochi over some bullshite about TROC didn't respect the Canucks?

are you really qualified to know what a real fan is??
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ukcanuck wrote:Aren't you the guy that wouldn't cheer for Team Canada at Sochi over some bullshite about TROC didn't respect the Canucks?
WTF are you writing about? TROC? :hmmm:
are you really qualified to know what a real fan is??
Uhhhh, where does one qualify themselves to define what is "REAL" or "UNREAL" or a "Cheap Imitation" of a fan?

As I've stated here many, many times .... it sickens me to see "fans" blindly accept whatever their organization feed them at times.

On the subject of fans and their sometimes irrationality, I had a brief twitter exchange with Aziz Rajwani @ThreeDownNation (Langara SofMgmt&SauderUBC) last month, after he wrote the following, via: https://twitter.com/ThreeDownNation/sta ... 5806256129
Aziz Rajwani ‏@ThreeDownNation

Ravens fans give Ray Rice standing ovation http://www.si.com/nfl/2014/07/29/baltim ... ng-ovation … via @SInow Standing ovation?! Fans can be dysfunctional (at times)!

11:37 AM - 29 Jul 2014
My reply was this:
Betamax ‏@Betamax1080p

@ThreeDownNation @SInow As long as player can help team win games, most fanatics will have their backs. Just look at SFG fans with B. Bonds!

11:40 AM - 29 Jul 2014
The better example I could have used from a Canucks perspective is Bertuzzi vis-a-vis Moore. In terms of NFL, one just has to look at how Michael Vick was received after he showed he could help the Eagles win, in his return to the NFL a few years ago.

I think a player might literally have to kill someone (human not animals) for the fans to turn their backs on him/her. :hmmm:
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Betamax, I owe you and MerryPoppins a reply from your above quotes.

Merry, I have often gone against the grain of the TeamGarrettHughsonKenwoodForgettableScribes that lead most opinion on this and previous boards. More often than not, I have been correct. I see no problem with reminding folks of that track record.

For the record, I was the sole proponent of using the one compliance buyout after the '04 lockout on the very mundane and less than useful at that stage of his career, Trevor Linden.

I was against resigning the aging and mediocre Alex Burrows to his current albatross of a contract.

I saw flaws in CoHo's game and attitude at the WJC and had doubts of his ability in the NHL. Once in the NHL his lack of defensive play was a glaring beacon to me. He also seemed to be a Matt Cooke late hit away from arriving at any real action.

Now MerryPoppins, I do not recall any opinions you have ever had. Have you ever had an opinion of your own?

Betamax, you asked where I stood on Torts hiring. I was firmly on the fence with a wait and see. Change was needed, I wasn't sure that Torts was the correct change. I still believe his reputation from NY was overblown because of Brooks and the NY/National media spotlight he performed under. I liked his comments in his intro to season ticket holders. I thought his comments on Sedin shot blocking were taken out of context, and ran with both in the media and on this board.

Once into the season I noted his coached style of play. I questioned his green light to pinching defence and the role of the centre man to be the covering forward and first forward back rather than rotating the off side winger. I noted it would be challenged by teams that cheat a forward on a fast break as Chicago does often with Hossa. I questioned his dump and chase philosophy when it came to the Sedins.

I did admire that he took full control and responsibility for and of the team. There was no delegation to a clubhouse cadre for leadership. I liked that he used the Sedins on the PK and I hope it continues as they are masters of clock killing puck control and an offensive threat on the PK. (Do you understand any of this MerryPoppins?)

As for being a fan, I follow the Canucks far more than any other NHL team. I keep a critical eye willing to praise and criticize. I only saw a handful of playoff games this year because Vancouver was eliminated. I will boo Ryan Kesler, not because he is no longer a Canuck, but because of the purely selfish choice he made. I have had a Canuck Santa hat my wife once gave me for Xmas on the headrest of my truck, second truck now, for over ten years. I consider my "A few comments;" post game reports iconic.

Does this make me a fan?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

To me, a "real Canuck fan" is someone who still believes in Burrows after last season's fiasco. :drink:

BTW Beta, who the fuck is "Cody"?? :eh:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

I've been hard on Burrows this spring and summer but after a debate or 2 (ago) while reflecting on great canucks moments had to retract my stance. That dragon slayer goal lifted me out of my seat and burned a hole in my reason that says he deserves a shot at redemption. He bleeds blue and green, of this there's no debate.
His only flaw is accepting a make right contract and then not shining (coming off a series of injuries no less)

So I will blow the smoke up your eager bum on that one Doc.
If you need air...call it in
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

Good or bad...I cheer for the canucks..period
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Strangelove wrote:To me, a "real Canuck fan" is someone who still believes in Burrows after last season's fiasco. :drink:
Reminds me, a friend recently saw Steve Winwood in Seattle, explains why you had to cry today.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

scuse me... The Rest Of Canada....

you are or were GM, Farhan, The Brown Knight right?

One of those sad sack sycophantic canuckscorner incarnations or maybe all of them said that they would not cheer for Team Canada during Sochi because of the way other Canadians booed and hoped the Bruins would beat the Canucks in 2011.
Any Canadian sports fan who does not cheer for the national hockey team is not a real fan....

Also- being a Seahawks fan because they won the superbowl but not when steve largent was the man is not a real fan
Suddenly loving the Patriots when they carve out a dynasty but not when they were the butt of the league is not a real fan
Only watching the superbowl for the commercials and then dumping on the CFL for being bush is not a true fan

Watching one team from the cradle to the grave, living and dying with that team, following its players as they come and go, remembering where you were during hi lights and low lights. Having team jerseys that one has grow out of, or in the Canucks case, have at least one original piece of memorabilia with a prior team logo on it makes one a real fan.

switching teams and league based on who won last...band wagoner....
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Are the fans of Real Madrid for real? :mrgreen: :lol:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Cookie La Rue wrote:Are the fans of Real Madrid for real? :mrgreen: :lol:
Good lorde are they not royals ?
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

imo, being a "REAL" fan is akin to being an unbiased parent. Sure we love our kids, but it doesn't mean we can't be critical of them, and want them to be and do better. Some players are my kids. Some are step-kids, and some are adopted red-haired step children. I might not like them all, but as long as they wear the uniform, I love em.

The only caveat is Messier. And Brett Hull, if he had ever come here. There are some kids that even a parent can't love.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Tciso wrote:imo, being a "REAL" fan is akin to being an unbiased parent. Sure we love our kids, but it doesn't mean we can't be critical of them, and want them to be and do better. Some players are my kids. Some are step-kids, and some are adopted red-haired step children. I might not like them all, but as long as they wear the uniform, I love em.

The only caveat is Messier. And Brett Hull, if he had ever come here. There are some kids that even a parent can't love.
Well said, Tciso. I would also add Bolland and Marchand to that list... I hate shit disturbers that never answer the bell.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:To me, a "real Canuck fan" is someone who still believes in Burrows after last season's fiasco. :drink:

BTW Beta, who the fuck is "Cody"?? :eh:
mi culpa ..... I guess moving forward, I will officially rebrand Cody as CoHo, as per his official merchandise store:

8-)

p.s. I'm going to guess that the following being offered for only $24.99 is, uhhhhhh, a "one size fits all" ..... I can't imagine anyone with a larger head .... can you?

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

ukcanuck wrote:scuse me... The Rest Of Canada....

you are or were GM, Farhan, The Brown Knight right?
As pointed out numerous times here .... TBK/Farhan née GM is his own shade of brown. According to cyber bro dave, he (allegedly) has reincarnated to Connor McHindu on another hockey board. :hmmm:
One of those sad sack sycophantic canuckscorner incarnations or maybe all of them said that they would not cheer for Team Canada during Sochi because of the way other Canadians booed and hoped the Bruins would beat the Canucks in 2011.
LOL ....... I didn't read this board that regularly during that time, so I didn't get the reference. The only past I like living in .... is my own, because I know I am guaranteed quality reading. :thumbs:

Any Canadian sports fan who does not cheer for the national hockey team is not a real fan....
Also- being a Seahawks fan because they won the superbowl but not when steve largent was the man is not a real fan
Suddenly loving the Patriots when they carve out a dynasty but not when they were the butt of the league is not a real fan
Only watching the superbowl for the commercials and then dumping on the CFL for being bush is not a true fan
Well, just like there are Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades of Brown, or 50 Variations of Shit, there are various (maybe not 50) shades of being a Fan. What you are describing is a bandwagon fan. That doesn't make them less "real" fan then you might be.
Watching one team from the cradle to the grave, living and dying with that team, following its players as they come and go, remembering where you were during hi lights and low lights. Having team jerseys that one has grow out of, or in the Canucks case, have at least one original piece of memorabilia with a prior team logo on it makes one a real fan.

switching teams and league based on who won last...band wagoner....
I read ya ..... I guess you can, uhhhhh, say this is the very definition of a "die hard" fan:

via: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/leaves-fan- ... -1.1932921

leaves fan gives hilarious parting shot to team in obituary
CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Friday, July 25, 2014 10:58PM EDT
How does a Toronto Maple leaves fan express decades of frustration and heartbreak but still remain loyal to the team he loves? Terrance Warren Siebert, a Hamilton man who died this week, did it with a hilarious parting shot in the last line of his obituary.

“It was Terry's last wish that his pallbearers be the Toronto Maple leaves so they could let him down one last time.”
Pallbearers wearing Toronto Maple leaves jerseys
carry the casket of Terrance Warren Siebert.

8-)