THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade the 2015 1st Round Pick if it meant in return an Under 25 year old Top 6F or Top 4D?

Yes - And it would instill belief and confidence in their players and fan base that Management does think they will be a Playoffs team this season (Actions speak louder than words).
20%
No - Too much risk involved if they don't make the Playoffs and lose out on the chance (no matter how small it could be) on drafting a potential Franchise/Generational Player in McDavid/Eichel etc..
80%

Total votes: 15

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by ClamRussel »

Too many red alerts w/ that guy, he doesn't fit the mould they're creating here. Lots of quality kids coming up, patience is required. Kane would get along great w/ Kesler in Anaheim.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:I think we can all agree that it is highly unlikely we will be in the hunt for the top two picks. Regardless, this is not the year to trade our top pick. End of story.
Couldn't agree more.
What if it were Top Ten protected and the return was huge?

Something like 2015 1st + Hansen + Jensen/Gaunce... FOR... Evander Kane.

(if it turns out that pick is Top Ten, it becomes our 2016 1st instead)

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata
Kane - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Vey
Sestito

Jensen/Gaunce are only 1-year/2-years younger than Kane.
A conditional 1st would be very intriguing and I could see that, for the right player. While I love E. Kane's skill the more I hear about him the more I think we are wise to stay away. He is high maintenance and has a lot of maturing to do. Maybe a Trevor run team could do it for him, dunno.

Interesting that conditional 1st.
A "conditional 1st" absolutely de-values the pick and they would just hang up the phone. The intriguing part of having a 2015 1st is the possibility that you could hit the jackpot and draft a generational talent with the 1st pick.

Anyway, the Canucks don't have enough resources to go "all-in" on The Real Deal Kane. I would have been more open to that if they drafted a potential 1C or 2C at the worst like Nylander, or have an existing, offensively gifted centre that is in their system, but they went the Virtanen route so the resources like the 2015 1st that they may have available for trade should be used for someone like Cody or Johansen (if they are made available). :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: A "conditional 1st" absolutely de-values the pick and they would just hang up the phone. The intriguing part of having a 1st is the possibility that you could hit the jackpot.
Baby steps Beta... baby steps!

First you loosen their icy grip on their precious 2015 1st with... "Top Ten protected".

Then you go to "2015 1st or 2016 1st - Canucks choice."

And then after the deal is made (Jensen + Hansen + 2015 1st... FOR... Evander Kane)

.... you can more easily smooth things over with them.

"Well we're not going to end up with a Top Ten pick because of additions of Kane/Miller/Vrbata/Bonino".

"Kane is exactly what we need to compete with the big boys in the Wild Wild West"

Etc.
Betamax wrote: Anyway, the Canucks don't have enough resources to go "all-in" on The Real Deal Kane. I would have been more open to that if they drafted a potential 1C or 2C at the worst like Nylander, or have an existing, offensively gifted centre that is in their system, but they went the Virtanen route so the resources like the 2015 1st that they may have available for trade should be used for someone like Cody or Johansen (if they are made available).
The Hockey Gods are gonna get you for mentioning Johansen in the same breath as some scurvy dog. :evil:

What is it with you and your love for ex-Canucks. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: A "conditional 1st" absolutely de-values the pick and they would just hang up the phone. The intriguing part of having a 1st is the possibility that you could hit the jackpot.
Baby steps Beta... baby steps!

First you loosen their icy grip on their precious 2015 1st with... "Top Ten protected".

Then you go to "2015 1st or 2016 1st - Canucks choice."

And then after the deal is made (Jensen + Hansen + 2015 1st... FOR... Evander Kane)

.... you can more easily smooth things over with them.

"Well we're not going to end up with a Top Ten pick because of additions of Kane/Miller/Vrbata/Bonino".

"Kane is exactly what we need to compete with the big boys in the Wild Wild West"

Etc.
Well,on paper with a Kane added with the guys you previously mentioned traded away, they should make the playoffs. But stranger things could/have happened in pro sports. Miller and/or Vrbata can grow old suddenly given that they are approaching the wrong side of 30s for a pro athlete, major injuries to key players etc.. and you could see that pick having a shot at the #1 pick.
The Hockey Gods are gonna get you for mentioning Johansen in the same breath as some scurvy dog. :evil:

What is it with you and your love for ex-Canucks. :roll:
Cody was the most celebrated prospect the Canucks' had since they drafted the Sedins. Coming off being CHL player of the Year, WJHC Gold Medal Winner, rated No. 2 prospect not in the NHL by THN in 2009 ........ things went sour after he got mis-diagnosed with his back injury. :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Well,on paper with a Kane added with the guys you previously mentioned traded away, they should make the playoffs. But stranger things could/have happened in pro sports. Miller and/or Vrbata can grow old suddenly given that they are approaching the wrong side of 30s for a pro athlete, major injuries to key players etc.. and you could see that pick having a shot at the #1 pick.
No guts, no glory.

(and you're not getting this "baby steps" thing are you) :hmmm:

Besides Kane is "The Real Deal". :mex:
Betamax wrote: Cody was the most celebrated prospect the Canucks' had since they drafted the Sedins. Coming off being CHL player of the Year, WJHC Gold Medal Winner, rated No. 2 prospect not in the NHL by THN in 2009 ........ things went sour after he got mis-diagnosed with his back injury. :mex:
Are you saying a misdiagnosed back injury turned him into a full-of-himself snot-nosed kid?

A full-of-himself snot-nosed kid who refuses to backcheck or play wing yet demands more icetime?

Yeah Canucks aren't gonna trade for a centre who will likely be booed by their fans.

Time for you to forget about Silent G and Panic Attack.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: Well,on paper with a Kane added with the guys you previously mentioned traded away, they should make the playoffs. But stranger things could/have happened in pro sports. Miller and/or Vrbata can grow old suddenly given that they are approaching the wrong side of 30s for a pro athlete, major injuries to key players etc.. and you could see that pick having a shot at the #1 pick.
No guts, no glory.

(and you're not getting this "baby steps" thing are you) :hmmm:

Besides Kane is "The Real Deal". :mex:
As suggested by HW, he doesn't seem like the "character profile" the Canucks are looking for. It would take a lot of high-end assets going back the other way and if the Canucks are going to make a move, it should either be for a young potential 1/2 at centre or defense. They don't have enough accumulated talent to do trade for both unless they want to offer Kassian + in a package and it could be seen as a lateral move because I think Kassian going to breakout over the next couple of years and has a much better AAV.

I don't think there is an appetite among GMJB to trade Virtanen in a package for Kane as White Chocolate seems to bring similar attributes without the off-ice drama that The Real Deal brings.

Betamax wrote: Cody was the most celebrated prospect the Canucks' had since they drafted the Sedins. Coming off being CHL player of the Year, WJHC Gold Medal Winner, rated No. 2 prospect not in the NHL by THN in 2009 ........ things went sour after he got mis-diagnosed with his back injury. :mex:
Are you saying a misdiagnosed back injury turned him into a full-of-himself snot-nosed kid?

A full-of-himself snot-nosed kid who refuses to backcheck or play wing yet demands more icetime?

Yeah Canucks aren't gonna trade for a centre who will likely be booed by their fans.

Time for you to forget about Silent G and Panic Attack.
I think when you have prodigious talents, you have to carefully manage their egos. That was one of the mistakes AV made when he tacitly questioned Cody's toughness when in fact he did have a serious back injuries. If we are going to talk about "full-of-himself snot nosed kids" there are probably much better examples .... including ones you probably want to trade for, right? :mex:
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

I am highly reluctant to consider someone like Evander Kane over a 1st round pick in any draft, let alone the projected talent available in 2015.

Evander Kane (so far) is this, IMO:
- A streaky, standout player on a bad team - in a weak division, in a weak conference.
- An obvious locker room cancer

Why would the Canucks make a move for this kind of player, when they JUST moved (arguably) the best player on the roster to a division RIVAL to end the drama? Does not add up...

Furthermore, if the Canucks DO make the show (or barely miss), and are out of the top 10 for the 2015 draft, recent trends would indicate they are more willing to package their potential existing 1st pick + talent to move up in the draft, rather than move out of the 1st round completely.

(Also, lol @ white chocolate)
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: As suggested by HW, he doesn't seem like the "character profile" the Canucks are looking for.
I see your speculation by some random CC poster and raise you a with-grain-of-salt rumour

Dominic Tiano @dominictiano:
Apparently 6 teams in talks with Jets about Evander Kane: leaves, Sabres, Flyers, Canucks, Penguins, and Bruins.
Betamax wrote: It would take a lot of high-end assets going back the other way and if the Canucks are going to make a move, it should either be for a young potential 1/2 at centre or defense.
Disagree.
Betamax wrote: I don't think there is an appetite among GMJB to trade Virtanen in a package for Kane as White Chocolate seems to bring similar attributes without the off-ice drama that The Real Deal brings.
Why the hell are you talking about trading Virtanen all of a sudden?

In a Canuck fan's wildest dreams does Virtanen become "all that Kane is minus the off-ice drama".

And if it ever happened it would be 5 years from now.

Please stop trying to place Cody Hodgson in the same class as Ryan Johansen and Evander Kane. :roll:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Strangelove wrote:
Apparently 6 teams in talks with Jets about Evander Kane: leaves, Sabres, Flyers, Canucks, Penguins, and Bruins.

Interesting a list of alleged teams in talks re:Kane. Pens and Bruins have cap concerns and would need to not only deal the assets the Jets want but would have to clear cap. Sabres won't part with a 2015 pick. Who knows about the Flyers, but they have cap issues too. He would be perfect with the leaves who could get ready for the arrival of Stamkos in 2016 :mrgreen:

Find it interesting that those are the only teams interested. Perhaps the Linden factor can help turn this kid around. Still surprised with the public persona he has that the Canucks would be interested but no arguing his talent.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ORCA wrote: I am highly reluctant to consider someone like Evander Kane over a 1st round pick in any draft, let alone the projected talent available in 2015.
Why not, Kane was 4th overall in a pretty good draft.

AND he has since panned out very well.
ORCA wrote:
Evander Kane (so far) is this, IMO:
- A streaky, standout player on a bad team - in a weak division, in a weak conference.
- An obvious locker room cancer
:roll:

- a powerful skater
- a sniper
- a power forward who loves to hit & fight and has not yet entered his prime
ORCA wrote:
Why would the Canucks make a move for this kind of player, when they JUST moved (arguably) the best player on the roster to a division RIVAL to end the drama? Does not add up...
It "adds up" extremely well.

The Kesler drama ended when the player who wanted out was traded to where he wanted to be.

The Kane drama would end when the player who wants out is traded to where he wants to be.

(well okay, Kane has a little growing up to do, but no reason to think that won't come in time)
ORCA wrote:
Furthermore, if the Canucks DO make the show (or barely miss), and are out of the top 10 for the 2015 draft, recent trends would indicate they are more willing to package their potential existing 1st pick + talent to move up in the draft, rather than move out of the 1st round completely.
"Recent trends would indicate" that doesn't work out so well. :roll:

How about a 4th overall instead?

One who has already developed into a bonafide #1st line NHL power forward.

Do you think the Canucks are likely to come out of the 2015 NHL draft with a player who becomes as good?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Interesting a list of alleged teams in talks re:Kane. Pens and Bruins have cap concerns and would need to not only deal the assets the Jets want but would have to clear cap.
No reason to think the Jets wouldn't take signed players back in a Kane trade.

As a matter of fact rumours are that they would prefer that to prospects/picks.
Hockey Widow wrote: Sabres won't part with a 2015 pick.
Yeah, no doubt a Sabres package would not include a 1st.
Hockey Widow wrote: Who knows about the Flyers, but they have cap issues too.
Cap issues can be resolved, but if it's the Flyers I'll bet it's something like Schenns+.
Hockey Widow wrote: He would be perfect with the leaves who could get ready for the arrival of Stamkos in 2016 :mrgreen:
LOL @ Leaf fantasies eh wot?

Every year some big star in "going home to Toronto". :mrgreen:
Hockey Widow wrote: Perhaps the Linden factor can help turn this kid around.
:thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Well Kane did tell some people this summer that he was almost a Canuck last year, MG had a deal in place and he was already telling people he was coming home when the Jets pulled the plugged. I remember hearing last year, before the Olympic break that MG coveted Kane and was pushing hard to acquire him. Have no idea what MG was sending to the Jets. I think the Jets got cold feet in the end. But it left Kane more determined to leave Winnipeg. At this point he would be happy almost anywhere else but Winnipeg.

With Myers back, or still, on the block.........

And today in a Swedish newspaper Edler basically, all but said, if he was asked to waive he would have to consider it as you don't want to be on a team that doesn't want you. Although with both Linden and Benning declaring him the future number one and a potential Norris candidate I can't see team parting with him.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

If our #1 pick next year was the centerpiece of a deal for Kane, I'd do it. I really don't see this team, as constructed, finishing bottom 6 like this year. I'm not betting on us making the playoffs, but I think we won't be in the bottom 10. Now, with the lottery, there's the longshot chance the pick could become a #1 but I think it's a risk worth taking. I'm not sure what else Jets would want, but Kane's a stud, 22, power forward, with the right coaching - and it seems that Desjardins is great with young players - I'd think it a risk worth taking.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

I'd do that deal too.

The Jets would have to take back a roster player though. I wonder if they'd take Burrows? :P
ORCA
CC Veteran

Post by ORCA »

Acquiring Kane worries me in that passing on him means we risk missing out on a guy who could completely take off and be our leading scorer for a decade, and getting him risks bringing in a huge locker room virus that never pans out... for wayyy too much in return.
~Your Friendly Neighborhood Killer Whale