THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Would you trade the 2015 1st Round Pick if it meant in return an Under 25 year old Top 6F or Top 4D?

Yes - And it would instill belief and confidence in their players and fan base that Management does think they will be a Playoffs team this season (Actions speak louder than words).
20%
No - Too much risk involved if they don't make the Playoffs and lose out on the chance (no matter how small it could be) on drafting a potential Franchise/Generational Player in McDavid/Eichel etc..
80%

Total votes: 15

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: THE 2015 NHL Entry Draft Thread (McDavid, Eichel et al.)

Post by Island Nucklehead »

herb wrote:I'd do that deal too.

The Jets would have to take back a roster player though. I wonder if they'd take Burrows? :P
Given Kane's value around the league and his lack of NTC, I'd have to say the Canucks would seriously have to overpay for him.

I don't think we can really compete with teams like Edmonton (Yakupov or Eberle), Philly (Schenn), Buffalo (Hodgson+McCabe) etc. We just don't have the assets that we can afford to lose at this point. Winnipeg likely wants someone to replace Kane's production right now. Their division loaded up this summer, they don't want to get worse.

There's basically 2 ways for this trade to happen, young roster players or A-level prospects. We're not deep enough in either to make that move and not have be a lateral one at best.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Given Kane's value around the league and his lack of NTC, I'd have to say the Canucks would seriously have to overpay for him.

I don't think we can really compete with teams like Edmonton (Yakupov or Eberle), Philly (Schenn), Buffalo (Hodgson+McCabe) etc. We just don't have the assets that we can afford to lose at this point. Winnipeg likely wants someone to replace Kane's production right now. Their division loaded up this summer, they don't want to get worse.

There's basically 2 ways for this trade to happen, young roster players or A-level prospects. We're not deep enough in either to make that move and not have be a lateral one at best.
Oh, I totally agree. Was just saying I'd do that deal for Kane.

The Jets need a player back they can market and sell to the fans in the here and now. They don't need a hope and a prayer a few years from now, they need somebody to keep butts in seats and the beer liens long. They definitely cannot afford to get worse in the name of getting rid of a problem.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: As suggested by HW, he doesn't seem like the "character profile" the Canucks are looking for.
I see your speculation by some random CC poster and raise you a with-grain-of-salt rumour

Dominic Tiano @dominictiano:
Apparently 6 teams in talks with Jets about Evander Kane: leaves, Sabres, Flyers, Canucks, Penguins, and Bruins.
Well, if we're going to go with a bottom of the barrel type resource for a "rumour" .... I will cite uh, a hockey insider:

https://twitter.com/HockeyyInsiderr/sta ... 1517056001
Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr

On #Canucks #NHLJets trade talks I learned VAN offer for Kane includes Markstrom and Burrows. Not sure what the other pieces would be.

7:22 PM - 9 Jul 2014
Obviously, the Canucks would need to add a main piece to the deal i.e. a top prospect (Horvat, Shinkaruk) or that 2015 first if that rumour is to make any sense. But the side dishes of Markstrom and Burrows in particular makes a lot of sense for salary cap purposes and need and with Burrows he is one of the few Canucks, besides Hansen with NTCs that would probably waive to go there. :mex:

Betamax wrote: It would take a lot of high-end assets going back the other way and if the Canucks are going to make a move, it should either be for a young potential 1/2 at centre or defense.
Disagree.
Well, I don't see how the canucks can address getting a potential top pairing D with Myers or a 1/2C like Cody or Johansen via trade AND also acquire a top young scoring PF winger.

Betamax wrote: I don't think there is an appetite among GMJB to trade Virtanen in a package for Kane as White Chocolate seems to bring similar attributes without the off-ice drama that The Real Deal brings.
Why the hell are you talking about trading Virtanen all of a sudden?
Uh, I'm not. That's the kind of quality of prospect that the Jets would want back as part of the package. A player like him or a Kassian. I think that White Chocolate was GMJB's 1st ever pick and the way GMJB was seemingly a big part of the process when it came to trading away Seguin, I doubt he would go "all-in" on Kane and offer Virtanen as part of the package. The Real Deal doesn't have an NTC so unlike Kesler, there are potential 29 other teams the Jets can negotiate with who would be willing to trade established NHL young talent. Closest the Canucks can offer to a young NHL talent they'd be interested in, would be Kassian and the Canucks would have to add to the package.
In a Canuck fan's wildest dreams does Virtanen become "all that Kane is minus the off-ice drama".

And if it ever happened it would be 5 years from now.
So, what do you project White Chocolate to be? You don't have wild dreams and he's not going to be the next Iggy but rather Raffi Torres?
Please stop trying to place Cody Hodgson in the same class as Ryan Johansen and Evander Kane. :roll:
Cody is in the class of top young players that have established pedigree in the NHL ........ in terms of what it would take in terms of assets going the other way to get them Johansen at the top, followed by Kane and then Cody. :mex:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: It would take a lot of high-end assets going back the other way and if the Canucks are going to make a move, it should either be for a young potential 1/2 at centre or defense.
Disagree.
Well, I don't see how the canucks can address getting a potential top pairing D with Myers or a 1/2C like Cody or Johansen via trade AND also acquire a top young scoring PF winger.
What I'm saying is Canucks need a young Top 6 winger at the moment (we need scoring above all).

Hank and Bonino can hold down the Top 6 centre this year (while we see what we have in our young centres).

Our defense-by-committee will be fine for now....
Betamax wrote: (Virtanen is) the kind of quality of prospect that the Jets would want back as part of the package. A player like him or a Kassian.
Neither one of those two necessarily need go the other way in a Kane trade.
____
Try to focus on someday.