Canucks Development Camp Starts Tomorrow

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks Development Camp Starts Tomorrow

Post by Southern_Canuck »

White water rafting on Sunday:

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Southern_Canuck
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Southern_Canuck »

Jared McCann

Bo Horvat

Brendan Gaunce

S_C
It's a great day for hockey!
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Shinkaruk stick handling with great skill.

iFan

Post by iFan »

I won't be very happy if we trade Shinkaruk, I don't like hearing his name popping up, the kid is easily our highest end prospect.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

at their NHL prime in 2-5 years: (goals/assists) BEST CASE scenario

Shinkaruk (35/40) Horvat (30/50) Kassian (30/50)
Virtanen (40/25) McCann (25/45) Jensen (35/40)
Cassels (18/25) Bonino (25/30) Fox (19/21) / Vey (25/40)
Zalewski (6/8) Guance (15/20) Labate (6/4)
Lain/Archibald
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:Image

at their NHL prime in 2-5 years: (goals/assists) BEST CASE scenario

Shinkaruk (35/40) Horvat (30/50) Kassian (30/50)
Virtanen (40/25) McCann (25/45) Jensen (35/40)
Cassels (18/25) Bonino (25/30) Fox (19/21) / Vey (25/40)
Zalewski (6/8) Guance (15/20) Labate (6/4)
Lain/Archibald

*hehe* yeah, that would be great. I'm hoping Virtanen will become a top sniper/game breaker that we have been missing for a long time. We never really had one since Nasi started to decline and left for NY. Although Dank + Kes scored 40Gs that 1 year, I always saw Dank as a playmaking winger with good finish and Kes as more of a two-way player, both are probably more consistent 25-30G guys.

I'm also hoping McCann will have a little more offensive punch than BoHo. Although McCann didn't put up the big numbers, lots of reports have him as being one of the more talented guys in this draft. He looks like quite a shifty player with a great release and has a bit of a cocky attitude. It'll be interesting to see if he can put up some numbers when he goes back to juniors this year. I'm hoping McCann will become more of the offensive centre who can put up some numbers, BoHo can be that 2-way guy like Kes and Gaunce can become that big checking shut down guy like Malhotra.

In the nets we have Lack already and hopefully Demko will become the next C.Schneids.

Now, if we can pickup some D men, we'd be set. I guess Tanev, Corrado and Stanton are a decent start. Edler will probably still be in the mix. Hopefully Tryamkin will be the next Big Z. Interestingly, Chara was actually a 3rd round pick too. :P
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

This coming year, I predict Horvat gets 9 games in but they decide he's not quite there yet, and send him back to London for one more year.

Jensen proves the most consistent young forward, gets some top 6 time, scores 15-20goals.

Guance is the surprise out of camp. He goes to Utica, impresses, and is up with the team by game 30 or 40 as a 3rd/4th line big body who can handle defensive responsibilities and also pot a timely goal or two.

All other Canucks forward prospects go to junior or stay in Utica all season.

I have Vey not as a prospect but as part of the big team from the start.

I am fully prepared for all these predictions to be wrong...most likely! :D
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

I pretty much agree with BC. No need to rush the kids now that I think about it more, keep with the Detroit developing model instead of giving top minutes to 18 year olds thinking they are the next Gretzky's the Kevin Lowe Oilers. Gaunce showed pretty good near the end of camp that he is mature enough and strong enough to stick as well as Jensen. Corrado, Shink and Fox go to Utica to develop. Horvat goes back to junior along with Virtanen, Cassels and McCann. Hopefully all of Horvat, Virtanen and McCann make the cut for the WJC's and Cassels for the Americans. Team Canada's WJC team is going to be stacked if Reinhart and Bennett go back to junior, so making the tourney will be tough for our Canadian forwards. Horvat is pretty much a guaranteed not so sure about Virtanen and McCann. McCann has to first re-convince the brass of an invite. The kid has top shelf skills, can't see why he couldn't.

Predict Jensen makes the club, but Gaunce will be in tough but could surprise. Looking forward to seeing all these kids push for spots in a season or two. We are seeing the makings of the next core group here. Love it.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Now, if we can pickup some D men, we'd be set. I guess Tanev, Corrado and Stanton are a decent start. Edler will probably still be in the mix. Hopefully Tryamkin will be the next Big Z. Interestingly, Chara was actually a 3rd round pick too. :P
I guess he's showing a lot of skill and speed in camp and a rocket of a shot :thumbs:
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Ben Hutton is a good defensive prospect. He seems to get overlooked a lot in these discussions for some reason.

I would love for Hutton to drop out of school and turn pro this year.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

SKYO wrote:But I guess sadly we've never had a propsect/rookie blow away the veteran players the last few years, what was the last one? CoHo?
I stand to be corrected, but I believe Linden is the last 18 year old to make the team out of camp. Bourdon got 9 games as a 19 year old, CoHo not until he was 20, though he was cut from Camp right at the end of the pre-season as an 18 year old. Sedins had just turned 20 when they made the club.

I think it would be a great break from the past to have a teenager make the club. I doubt there's another franchise in the NHL that has only had one teenager make the roster in 25 years.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

herb wrote: I would love for Hutton to drop out of school and turn pro this year.
Why? Might as well get a degree then try pro.

There's no rush.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Is it just me or does Shinkaruk's hands look 5 times faster and softer than the rest of the prospects in the stickhandling drills?
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:I guess he's (Tryamkin) showing a lot of skill and speed in camp and a rocket of a shot :thumbs:
Actually, I don't care if he doesn't put up the offence like Big Z. I'll be happy if he can become a monster like Big Z on the defensive side, playing physical and shutting ppl down.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Aaronp18 wrote:Why? Might as well get a degree then try pro.

There's no rush.
Because he's proven what he can in NCAA and just the timeline of things moving forward.

2-3 years in Utica and Hutton could be ready to jump to the big club when the contracts of Hamhuis and Bieksa expire.