Canucks Development Camp Starts Tomorrow

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: Canucks Development Camp Starts Tomorrow

Post by ClamRussel »

"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

I like what I saw from Dane Fox. The kid's got a shooter's mentality, gets into scoring position to use his quick release, able to pick corners, goes to the net for tap-ins, etc. Pure sniper. Reminds me a bit of Tony Tanti.

Hope Daniel is paying attention.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

If Fox does break in as a 3rd liner, I really like the sounds of having a pure sniper who can play a grinder/shut-down role. Those are the type of players that make all the difference (depth that can score).
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote:Reminds me a bit of Tony Tanti.
A Tony Tanti who punches faces. :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Strangelove wrote:
Hank wrote:Reminds me a bit of Tony Tanti.
A Tony Tanti who punches faces. :mrgreen:
Oh yeah. I can definitely see Mr. Fox surprise a few pesky-type NHL'ers by starching their faces :D
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Fox also has an axe to grind because he was passed over, a lot to prove and a lot of people to prove wrong. That extra motivation can only help. Excited to see if he can translate his game into an NHL game. Counting down to camp!
Last edited by Hockey Widow on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

ClamRussel wrote:If Fox does break in as a 3rd liner, I really like the sounds of having a pure sniper who can play a grinder/shut-down role. Those are the type of players that make all the difference (depth that can score).
Yup, add a dash of grit with the grind and the goals (and possibly some face-starching abilities)... those types of guys are invaluable.
Hockey Widow wrote:Fox also has an ax to going because he was past over, a lot to prove and a lot of people to prove wrong. That extra motivation can only help. Excited to see if he can translate his game into an NHL game. Counting down to camp!
I hope all of these guys find an ax to grind HW!

So... after watching those highlights a few more times, I have to say McCann's skating and defensive acumen looks pretty impressive. But he's wrong to compare his game to Kesler's... McCann is at least willing and able to make a pass :mrgreen:

I don't know about the rest of Brendan Gaunce's game, but his release looks to be pretty good also.

And finally, we already got a glimpse of what Hunter Shinkaruk can do. Just hope he stays healthy and tears it up in the AHL and gets called up ASAP.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hank wrote:I hope all of these guys find an ax to grind, HW!
Fixed. Great example of the essential value of the comma. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:
LOL. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Honestly, kinda liked it without the comma, I mean at my age and all....you take what you can get, sort of.....
The only HW the Canucks need
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
LOL. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. Honestly, kinda liked it without the comma, I mean at my age and all....you take what you can get, sort of.....
Lol, the importance of punctuation.

Sorry 'bout that HW :lol:
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

For this coming season, I think Gaunce is the sleeper prospect in terms of making the big team. Horvat, Shinkaruk etc get more of the press now, and they have more raw talent than Guance, but from all accounts he's mature, smart, a big body, who comes up with timely goals, can play in many situations. I can see him being a call up around game 30-40, after showing his stuff in Utica, and becoming regular 3rd or 4th liner. A guy like Shinkaruk probably needs to be in a top 6 spot to get the most out of him, and I see him Utica all year getting pro experience, but Guance looks more plug and play in the bottom 6.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Boston Canucker wrote:For this coming season, I think Gaunce is the sleeper prospect in terms of making the big team. Horvat, Shinkaruk etc get more of the press now, and they have more raw talent than Guance, but from all accounts he's mature, smart, a big body, who comes up with timely goals, can play in many situations. I can see him being a call up around game 30-40, after showing his stuff in Utica, and becoming regular 3rd or 4th liner. A guy like Shinkaruk probably needs to be in a top 6 spot to get the most out of him, and I see him Utica all year getting pro experience, but Guance looks more plug and play in the bottom 6.
Yeah, that's a reasonable take. Heard that skating was one of the issues holding him back and it's been reported that he's 1/2 step faster now, so it's not unreasonable to suggest that he'll get at least some games this season.

Anyway, it seems like the Canucks' are absolutely loaded with prospects with 3C potential. :mex: