2014/15 Line Up projections

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014/15 Line Up projections

Post by Meds »

Tciso wrote: If Higgins plays like he has the past few years and is still our #4 forward (Only one of Vrbata, Bonino, Kassian, Vey or Burrows step up as a top 6 forward), then we are in deep deep caca again this year. Higgins in our top 6 isn't our problem. We had a rotating pile of crap last year for our #1 line and #2 line supporting wingers. That was the problem.
We've had a rotating pile for the second line wingers since the Sedins became our 1st line.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Mëds wrote:
Tciso wrote: If Higgins plays like he has the past few years and is still our #4 forward (Only one of Vrbata, Bonino, Kassian, Vey or Burrows step up as a top 6 forward), then we are in deep deep caca again this year. Higgins in our top 6 isn't our problem. We had a rotating pile of crap last year for our #1 line and #2 line supporting wingers. That was the problem.
We've had a rotating pile for the second line wingers since the Sedins became our 1st line.
Word up, hopefully we'll have about 5 - 20 goal scorers this upcoming season. (lml, hey anything is possible)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Tciso wrote:
Higgins was a top 4 forward with us last year. The problem was we didn't have 2 more top 6 forwards, as Samtorelli went down (after pretending to be a top 6 forward for 48 games), Kassian wasn't ready yet, Booth was Booth, Jensen only got 17 games, and also wasn't ready, and Burr was a total disaster
Truth be known, Santorelli was turning out to be an incredible find last season before he got injured; he was looking like a 'Doug Gilmour' clone..of sorts.

I'm really surprised that the Canuck brass didn't re-sign him only to watch him opt for a contract with the leaves. If he's able to recapture the form/pizazz this upcoming season that he had last year, there's going to be a number of people on here wondering, 'what the frick was mgt. thinking?' In my view, he was THAT good.
cc oldtimer
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

nuckster wrote: Truth be known, Santorelli was turning out to be an incredible find last season before he got injured; he was looking like a 'Doug Gilmour' clone..of sorts.

I'm really surprised that the Canuck brass didn't re-sign him only to watch him opt for a contract with the leaves. If he's able to recapture the form/pizazz this upcoming season that he had last year, there's going to be a number of people on here wondering, 'what the frick was mgt. thinking?' In my view, he was THAT good.
Doug Gilmour clone?? :shock:

LOL yeahno, Grapes won't be puckering up for Mr Santorelli anytime soon bro.

Last year might very well have been a one-off (he was waived twice in the last 1.5 years).

Besides... IF... Santorelli has an awesome season in TO, he'll be walking next summer.

No way will the Leaves be able to re-sign him.

And pretty sure Santo's #1 choice as a UFA would... STILL... be your Vancouver Canucks. :wink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The good half season Santorelli had with the Canucks enabled him to turn that into another one year contract. True, if he had not been injured, and had he played at that level for a full season, he would have probably gotten a 2-3 year deal somewhere.

The Canucks offered him a similar deal as he had, one year, two way. Show us you can stay healthy and play that way for a full season.

Santorelli wanted a 2-3 year, one way deal. Benning said no and moved on. In the end he got a deal that the Canucks would probably have done. But by then the Canucks had moved on. They picked up Dorsett and Vey to fill out the roster, who I am going to assume they prefer anyway.

I certainly prefer Vey over Santorelli. Dorsett, is a different type of player so hard to compare but I do think he potentially fills a need Santorelli could not fill. Santorelli is a dime a dozen type of player, no where near what Gilmour brought to the table. For the record, I like Santorelli and would have been ok with a similar contract he got from MG but I am pleased with the acquisitions of Vey and Dorsett.

As it stands right now, with the roster we have, who would you drop to add Santorelli? Maybe Sestito, ya I could do that one, but Sestito may end up being our 13th forward anyway. Not to much ice to go around as it is for the bottom six.
The only HW the Canucks need
nuckster
MVP
MVP

Post by nuckster »

Hockey Widow wrote:The good half season Santorelli had with the Canucks enabled him to turn that into another one year contract. True, if he had not been injured, and had he played at that level for a full season, he would have probably gotten a 2-3 year deal somewhere.

The Canucks offered him a similar deal as he had, one year, two way. Show us you can stay healthy and play that way for a full season.

Santorelli wanted a 2-3 year, one way deal. Benning said no and moved on. In the end he got a deal that the Canucks would probably have done. But by then the Canucks had moved on. They picked up Dorsett and Vey to fill out the roster, who I am going to assume they prefer anyway.

I certainly prefer Vey over Santorelli. Dorsett, is a different type of player so hard to compare but I do think he potentially fills a need Santorelli could not fill. Santorelli is a dime a dozen type of player, no where near what Gilmour brought to the table. For the record, I like Santorelli and would have been ok with a similar contract he got from MG but I am pleased with the acquisitions of Vey and Dorsett.

As it stands right now, with the roster we have, who would you drop to add Santorelli? Maybe Sestito, ya I could do that one, but Sestito may end up being our 13th forward anyway. Not to much ice to go around as it is for the bottom six.
You're pretty consistently 'on' in your analyses (Strangelove was 'on' too). I obviously over-stated Santorelli's standing (gilmour-like?) but if people recall he was one of our true bright spots during the first half of last season. Though you may have described the process related to Benning's handling of Santorelli's contract, I for one thought that when Santorelli was 'shining' and in the groove he was, he was playing beyond the level of being 'a dime a dozen' (again, in my opinion) - he could have conceivably been slotted in as our 3rd line ctr. As much as I'm intrigued and looking forward to the new up-an-comers this upcoming season, I'm very conscious that Vey hasn't proven anything on an NHL level yet. As we all know, being a scoring threat in Junior doesn't necessarily equate to being a scorer in the bigs - so like everyone else, including mgt., I'm hopeful too that Vey can live up to the shoes that everyone wants him to fill. If he doesn't , then I guess we'll see other options unfold (no kidding). Though I'm not a leaves fan, I'm gonna keep an eye out for how Santorelli does.
cc oldtimer
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

nuckster wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:The good half season Santorelli had with the Canucks enabled him to turn that into another one year contract. True, if he had not been injured, and had he played at that level for a full season, he would have probably gotten a 2-3 year deal somewhere.

You're pretty consistently 'on' in your analyses (Strangelove was 'on' too). I obviously over-stated Santorelli's standing (gilmour-like?) but if people recall he was one of our true bright spots during the first half of last season. Though you may have described the process related to Benning's handling of Santorelli's contract, I for one thought that when Santorelli was 'shining' and in the groove he was, he was playing beyond the level of being 'a dime a dozen' (again, in my opinion) - he could have conceivably been slotted in as our 3rd line ctr. As much as I'm intrigued and looking forward to the new up-an-comers this upcoming season, I'm very conscious that Vey hasn't proven anything on an NHL level yet. As we all know, being a scoring threat in Junior doesn't necessarily equate to being a scorer in the bigs - so like everyone else, including mgt., I'm hopeful too that Vey can live up to the shoes that everyone wants him to fill. If he doesn't , then I guess we'll see other options unfold (no kidding). Though I'm not a leaves fan, I'm gonna keep an eye out for how Santorelli does.
I think it is all risk/reward. I likes Santorelli's play last season. (btw, he got injured, and then the team tanked. coincidence??). But, did he, at 28, finally put it all together, or was it just a hot streak for an a below average player?? And, where does he fit in with the Canucks this year? I'd rather have Jensen/Fox/Gaunce called up than Santorelli.

Heck, even Higgins "the ultimate tweener" fits better than Santorelli, "the half season tweener", and we already have him signed.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I liked what Magic Mike did for u last season and I would of liked to keep him around. Comparing him to Dougy Gilmour is a bit of a stretch, I compare him more to a modern day Mike Sillinger. Not the most talented guy, but he can do a bit of everything. If he works hard every night to stay in the NHL, he can be an effective player.

I will say this, I'd much rather have Magic Mike @ 1.5 mill than Vrbata @ 5 mill on the team.
sagebrush
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by sagebrush »

The projected line up from the guys over at 30 in 30 is interesting:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Radim Vrbata
Chris Higgins - Nick Bonino - Zack Kassian
Alexandre Burrows - Shawn Matthias - Jannik Hansen
Derek Dorsett - Brad Richardson - Linden Vey

Alexander Edler - Kevin Bieksa
Dan Hamhuis - Christopher Tanev
Luca Sbisa - Ryan Stanton

Ryan Miller
Eddie Lack

spares parts: Dustin Jeffrey, Tom Sestito, Yannick Weber
Dustin Jeffrey was a July 2nd free agent signing (26yrs, 205lbs, 6-1, played for Willie in Texas).

We'll see who called the line up right, when the season starts.
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

sagebrush wrote:The projected line up from the guys over at 30 in 30 is interesting:

Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Radim Vrbata
Chris Higgins - Nick Bonino - Zack Kassian
Alexandre Burrows - Shawn Matthias - Jannik Hansen
Derek Dorsett - Brad Richardson - Linden Vey
Yup. Who gets the nod from the minors is the real question. And, I see Richardson as the spare part regardless of who makes it from the minors. Now, if we have no injuries, as 2 people make it from the minors, who else gets bumped? That's an inneresting question, and should drive our bottom 10 to compete.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I liked what Magic Mike did for u last season and I would of liked to keep him around. Comparing him to Dougy Gilmour is a bit of a stretch, I compare him more to a modern day Mike Sillinger. Not the most talented guy, but he can do a bit of everything. If he works hard every night to stay in the NHL, he can be an effective player.

I will say this, I'd much rather have Magic Mike @ 1.5 mill than Vrbata @ 5 mill on the team.
I'd rather have Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce or Fox over Magic Mike.

And, Vrbata at $5 is still better than Magic Mike at $1.5, as we need a top line winger, not another 2nd/3rd line winger.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Tciso wrote: I'd rather have Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce or Fox over Magic Mike.
Long term yes, but short term next season, I'd take Magic Mike. I doubt those guys are ready for prime time NHL. I'd say Jensen is most ready out of that lot.

And, Vrbata at $5 is still better than Magic Mike at $1.5, as we need a top line winger, not another 2nd/3rd line winger.
I don't consider Vrbata a top line winger as well, probably a 2nd liner. On that top line, I would of rather just rotate Jensen, Kassiassian or good old Burr. Whoever is playing well and has chemistry with the twins at the time.

We'll see @ camp. It'll give us a look at who might be rdy for the NHL and just exactly what Vrbata can bring to the team.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vrbata has been playing top line minutes and putting up top line points for a few seasons now Todd.

IMO the only question at this point is: Will he mesh with the twins?
____
Try to focus on someday.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Tciso wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I liked what Magic Mike did for u last season and I would of liked to keep him around. Comparing him to Dougy Gilmour is a bit of a stretch, I compare him more to a modern day Mike Sillinger. Not the most talented guy, but he can do a bit of everything. If he works hard every night to stay in the NHL, he can be an effective player.

I'd rather have Horvat, Jensen, Gaunce or Fox over Magic Mike.

Yup bring in the rookies ffs, should have started that last year, this team is NOT cup worthy to stretch veterans to their max...rookies with higher upside is the way to go.

LUCKILY Bonino, Vey are prime to enter to their 'prime years' this upcoming season.

I'll be disappointed if one of Jensen or Horvat do not make the team come Oct/Nov
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: Yup bring in the rookies ffs, should have started that last year, this team is NOT cup worthy to stretch veterans to their max...rookies with higher upside is the way to go.

LUCKILY Bonino, Vey are prime to enter to their 'prime years' this upcoming season.

I'll be disappointed if one of Jensen or Horvat do not make the team come Oct/Nov
I'd agree, we should work in some young players, but where is the room for them? JB pretty much went out and acquired a bunch of NHL players to fill up the roster. Vey-Richardson-Matthias to battle out the last 2 centre spots, no room for BoHo.

I would of said there was an opening with the twins and Jensen might of been a good fit there, but JB went out and got Vrbata. On the top 3 lines, there's 6 spots available on the wings. Dank is not going anywhere, which leaves Vrbata, Higgy, Kassian, Burr, Hansen... not sure if Jensen is bumping any of them right now. We'll see I guess. Jensen will have to play really well and one those guys will have to struggle or be injured for Jensen to be in.

If we were rebuilding, it'd be a great time to work in some young players; however, JB wants to make the playoffs this season, so I'm not sure we can risk rookie mistakes and rookies who are not NHL rdy to be in the lineup.
Last edited by Todd Bersnoozi on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.