2014/15 Line Up projections

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: 2014/15 Line Up projections

Post by Meds »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Tiger wrote:So, most of these posts are presupposing that the Sedin's have a big (70 pt ) bounceback year..
If Vrabta doesn't "fit" with the Sedins its back to Burrows ?
and a good chance a second line of Bonino , Vrabta and Higgins outscores the 1st line ?
the same as last year when Kesler and Higgins outscored the twins ?

We still have Kassian for the 1st line. He played well with the twins before. In fact, I'd say that every winger they have ever had played better because of the Twins. Vrabata is really their first bonafied skilled winger in their whole career. Burrows is close, but if the Canucks had a true #1 winger for the twins way back when, Burrows may have never left the 3rd line.

Actually Naslund was the first bonafied winger and he was a disappointment there. Not everyone is better on their line. Mostly, yes, but not everyone can play their game. That is one of the things that, IMO, makes Burrows a special player. He can play all four lines, on the PK and play with the twins.

And you are correct in that if they had someone else Burrows may have stayed a 3rd line player for us.
It's really tough to judge Naslund's success or failure with the Sedins. He was just coming off of an up and down roller-coaster of a season with all the turmoil that went along with Bertuzzi/Moore. His shoulder had been giving him a lot of trouble. Fans were turning on him already. And in comes Vigneault with a new style and suddenly Naslund has to cycle and think defense first.

I would have liked to see how Naslund fared with the twins when he was healthy and not carrying the weight of the world.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tciso wrote:We still have Kassian for the 1st line. He played well with the twins before.

I think Vrbata is going to be given the first chance with the twins. If it doesn't work out, it's going to be between Burr, Kass and maybe Jensen/Hansen.
Since we're making "bold predictions" here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say if we end up resorting to Hansen playing w/ the Twins (yet) again = Its going to be a long, long, cold winter. On the bright side, we'll stand a superb chance of drafting Eichel/McDavid.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

" The Sedins aren't terrible players ". Gee ,what praise for two of the top ten scorers of the last decade. I swear some of the clowns that post here just started watching the Canucks in the last 5 or 6 years.

Yes Mëds Burke moved mountains to get the twins :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . Maybe you are talking about mountains of food down his gullet . I guess Burke was responsible for the abortion of a team that played the 98-99 season in Vancouver that sunk the team to 2nd last in the NHL. This was on the heels of having the 4th pick the previous season. No he wasn't the GM that season but he actually made the team WORSE , which is hard to believe.

So the team had a chance to pick a twin based on their horrific season. They traded a blue chip young asset in Bryan McCabe ( the main piece for Chicago) and a 2000 1st ( which was a garbage draft) for their pick. The square dancing and lip service belongs to the fat Irish windbag, but Iron Mike Keenan is far more responsible for getting a 2nd top 3 pick in 99 than Fat Fuck Burke ever was. Get your facts straight.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:" The Sedins aren't terrible players ". Gee ,what praise for two of the top ten scorers of the last decade. I swear some of the clowns that post here just started watching the Canucks in the last 5 or 6 years.

Yes Mëds Burke moved mountains to get the twins :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: . Maybe you are talking about mountains of food down his gullet . I guess Burke was responsible for the abortion of a team that played the 98-99 season in Vancouver that sunk the team to 2nd last in the NHL. This was on the heels of having the 4th pick the previous season. No he wasn't the GM that season but he actually made the team WORSE , which is hard to believe.

So the team had a chance to pick a twin based on their horrific season. They traded a blue chip young asset in Bryan McCabe ( the main piece for Chicago) and a 2000 1st ( which was a garbage draft) for their pick. The square dancing and lip service belongs to the fat Irish windbag, but Iron Mike Keenan is far more responsible for getting a 2nd top 3 pick in 99 than Fat Fuck Burke ever was. Get your facts straight.
The "aren't terrible players" could have been phrased better, I'll grant that. :P

It wasn't meant to be praise, I just wanted to preface my critique of them in a way that acknowledged that I wasn't saying they are terrible players. I mean, my four negative points about them are absolutely true, and if you read those things about any random skater then you'd think they sucked.....anyways.....whatever.

Well I don't totally remember how it all went down. I just remember hearing he was doing a lot of back and forth at the draft in order to secure that extra pick so he could get them both. So yeah, moving mountains is probably an exaggeration.

My only point was that Burke and Nonis were/are obviously going to be very high on the Sedins.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Mëds wrote: Burke is the guy who moved mountains to make it possible for the Canucks to land both Sedins.

Nonis seemed to think that Keith Carney, Eric Weinrich, and Brent Sopel, were what the Canucks needed to be a playoff power. Nonis is also Burke's right hand man.
BOLD assessment man. How convenient u leave out the Lou trade.

If u want a bold prediction, here's mine. I'll expand on my post about Kass with the twins.

The winger who will get the most out of the twins. Kassassian > Vrbata Chibata
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Mëds wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Tciso wrote:We still have Kassian for the 1st line. He played well with the twins before.

I think Vrbata is going to be given the first chance with the twins. If it doesn't work out, it's going to be between Burr, Kass and maybe Jensen/Hansen.
Bold prediction Todd.....especially considering that management and coaching have both said as much already.
Chill out Mëds. We were addressing Tiger's comment that if Vrbata didn't work with the Twins, we were going to be screwed (paraphraseing Tiger)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Tciso wrote: Burrows is close, but if the Canucks had a true #1 winger for the twins way back when, Burrows may have never left the 3rd line.
And you are correct in that if they had someone else Burrows may have stayed a 3rd line player for us.

I have a personal affirmation from HW. I can die happy now. Thanks HW :)
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:
Tciso wrote: Burrows is close, but if the Canucks had a true #1 winger for the twins way back when, Burrows may have never left the 3rd line.

It's ok my son!
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Sedins Vrbata
Fox Bonino Kassian (watch Kassian work wonders with these guys, granted he's shown the most promise playing with another big winger)
Higgins Vey Burrows
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

imho Fox will be the surprise young gun, seeing as he's overage for a rookie with a mean streak plus has a wicked Golden Brett Hull shot he's probably opening up Willie's eyes..should be one of the final rookies who might get those absolutely crucial 5-9 regular season games.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

SKYO wrote:Sedins Vrbata
Fox Bonino Kassian (watch Kassian work wonders with these guys, granted he's shown the most promise playing with another big winger)
Higgins Vey Burrows
Matthias Richardson Dorsett

imho Fox will be the surprise young gun, seeing as he's overage for a rookie with a mean streak plus has a wicked Golden Brett Hull shot he's probably opening up Willie's eyes..should be one of the final rookies who might get those absolutely crucial 5-9 regular season games.
I like the look of that lineup. I wonder what you would do with Hansen or Sestito.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

ClamRussel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

Since we're making "bold predictions" here, I'm going to go out on a limb and say if we end up resorting to Hansen playing w/ the Twins (yet) again = Its going to be a long, long, cold winter. On the bright side, we'll stand a superb chance of drafting Eichel/McDavid.
Bold Clamchops! BOLD!

Best be back'n that up 'round these parts...some minions be lynch'n and hang'n with that talk ;)
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I hate to go against the grain (especially with the Great HW) but my recollection is that Burrows was potting a bunch of goals before getting put on the Sedin line.

Burrows played with the Sedins for the first time on Feb 12, 2009. At that point, he had 13 goals through 54 games, which is a respectable 20-goal pace and a step up from his 07-08 total of 12 goals in 82 games. That was with 3rd line minutes and PK (though he was around 18 min./game).

Had he kept a 20-goal pace, he would have been good for 4th on the team behind Daniel, Henrik, Kesler and Demitra. I think he was producing as a top-6 forward before getting promoted to the Sedin line.

After 2 games with the Sedins and no points, he put up 25 points in the last 26 games of the season. Looking back on it, its pretty remarkable that AV gave Burrows 2 games to find a groove (I think there were a couple posts in there).
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Arachnid wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:

Bold Clamchops! BOLD!

Best be back'n that up 'round these parts...some minions be lynch'n and hang'n with that talk ;)
Well, bold as in a sarcastic bold...not to spoil the fun of a good ol' lynch'n or anything.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

ESQ wrote:
Tciso wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

I hate to go against the grain (especially with the Great HW) but my recollection is that Burrows was potting a bunch of goals before getting put on the Sedin line.

Burrows played with the Sedins for the first time on Feb 12, 2009. At that point, he had 13 goals through 54 games, which is a respectable 20-goal pace and a step up from his 07-08 total of 12 goals in 82 games. That was with 3rd line minutes and PK (though he was around 18 min./game).

Had he kept a 20-goal pace, he would have been good for 4th on the team behind Daniel, Henrik, Kesler and Demitra. I think he was producing as a top-6 forward before getting promoted to the Sedin line.

After 2 games with the Sedins and no points, he put up 25 points in the last 26 games of the season. Looking back on it, its pretty remarkable that AV gave Burrows 2 games to find a groove (I think there were a couple posts in there).
On top of all that, Burrows has out up his numbers w/ very limited PP time. Almost never w/ the Twins either.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote: On top of all that, Burrows has out up his numbers w/ very limited PP time. Almost never w/ the Twins either.
Almost makes me think that Burrows could have been a 75-80 point player if he had been with the Sedins on the PP.....especially when you look at how the PP inflated Kesler's numbers.