Canucks sign Radim Vrbata

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks sign Radim Vrbata

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote:If that's the case I want Horvat to go all out and make the team then with Vey on his wing.

Horvat is much better at faceoffs.
I know that he's very good at faceoffs in junior, but again I prefer to temper my expectations for his rookie season. Centre at the NHL-level might be the hardest position to master, at least positionally. He strikes me as the type that would be good on the wing to start, maybe taking his strong-side faceoffs. He's certainly a bigger frame than Vey, so should be better along the wall.
Right, but even on the Monarch's looks like Vey's faceoffs wasn't that great, and just looking at a few game stats he didn't take many faceoffs either.

About BoHo, another two-way center I'd compare him to, just based solely on a strong two-way game is Philly's Sean Couturier, they threw him in at 18! and he was alright on their 3rd line, they put him with Talbot and Simmonds.

So I can see C/W Vey put with Horvat on a line with some added size/grit in Kassian with them, that should be a solid line while learning fast if they are put together for the majority of a full season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Puck wrote:RE: Burrows
It would be nice if people would remember that Bergeron stuffed his finger in Burrows' mouth. In light of that, how can anyone be crucifying the guy for biting?!?? Hair-pulling, fine... but for God's sake drop the biting drama. As long as he doesn't lose his roster spot to a rookie, his work-ethic, PK skill and touch around the net* easily justifies keeping him until at least the TDL.

* OK.. granted, that would be touch around the net in all years other than the last one.
From what Benning has shown us thus far, unless he has a specific player in mind, or requires the cap space, I don't think Burrows will be moved just for the sake of moving him. He might be an overpaid 3rd liner by December, but he'll likely be a very effective 3rd liner regardless.

If Benning feels he can better allocate the cap space (ie Garrison's cap for Miller, pick for Vey) or flip him as part of a package (ie 3rd rounder from Kesler deal for Dorsett almost simultaneously) then Burrows might get booted.

Can't see him dealing him just for the sake of dealing him, though.
Put it this way, when Burrows rebounds there's no reason not to play him w/ the Sedins, they just work together. Having Vrbata on the 2nd line makes the team stronger and he can play w/ the Twins on the pp. It's just way more balanced that way, bottom line though is this team still looks weak on paper but should eventually be way better than last year. Probably take some time to gel though.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Vrbata Bonino Kassian
Higgins Matthias Hansen/Vey
Sestito Richardson Dorsett

You never know, Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata could also work if Kassian finally gets his long awaited chance w/ the Sedins. Burrows & Vrbata were teammates in jr.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

ClamRussel wrote:Put it this way, when Burrows rebounds there's no reason not to play him w/ the Sedins, they just work together. Having Vrbata on the 2nd line makes the team stronger and he can play w/ the Twins on the pp. It's just way more balanced that way, bottom line though is this team still looks weak on paper but should eventually be way better than last year. Probably take some time to gel though.
While not a fan of Burrows' contract, we will be deeper this year with Burrows and Vrbata.

On paper, the team is much better than last year already.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

herb wrote:On paper, the team is much better than last year already.
On actions, it seems like the Management and Coaching is much better than last year already. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

ClamRussel wrote: Put it this way, when Burrows rebounds there's no reason not to play him w/ the Sedins, they just work together. Having Vrbata on the 2nd line makes the team stronger and he can play w/ the Twins on the pp. It's just way more balanced that way, bottom line though is this team still looks weak on paper but should eventually be way better than last year. Probably take some time to gel though.
Could very well be a possibility, but I don't think the Canucks will be looking so much towards past chemistry but rather focusing on moving forward. Maybe Vrbata brings a new dimension to the stale Burrows/Sedin game? Maybe Burrows finds a more comfortable groove with Bonino? Benning seems to be willing to challenge everyone from vets to rookies coming into camp, it's very much a fresh slate. If Burrows wants to play with the Sedins, all he has to do is beat out Vrbata for that spot. I don't think it will be easy.

Bonino and Vrbata are the two top-6 wildcards that could make things interesting. Burrows and Kesler seemed to work well as a PK unit, but neither one is a fantastic playmaker. Kassian seems to have playmaking ability, would Burrows fit with Bonino and him on the second line? If Jensen or Shinkaruk impress, are they willing to put Burrows on the third line?

Should be a very interesting camp, to say the least. Willie has more than a few pieces to move around, and given last years' results and the new management group, nobody should feel safe just because "that's where I played last year".
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ClamRussel wrote:Put it this way, when Burrows rebounds there's no reason not to play him w/ the Sedins, they just work together. Having Vrbata on the 2nd line makes the team stronger and he can play w/ the Twins on the pp. It's just way more balanced that way, bottom line though is this team still looks weak on paper but should eventually be way better than last year. Probably take some time to gel though.

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Vrbata Bonino Kassian
Higgins Matthias Hansen/Vey
Sestito Richardson Dorsett

You never know, Burrows-Bonino-Vrbata could also work if Kassian finally gets his long awaited chance w/ the Sedins. Burrows & Vrbata were teammates in jr.
Didn't I read somewhere that Vrbata was promised that he would play with the Sedins on their line?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456319

Yep, I did.

If that was a reason for him to sign here, why would you renege on that?

Burrows will still get some time with the Sedins, but I think he is primarily going to be used as a veteran guy on the 2nd and third line.

Our 2nd and 3rd line might have the likes of Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, Bonino, and Shinkaruk, all fighting for spots. If a couple of them have really good camps and pre-season, then slotting a guy like Burrows in with a couple of them adds experience to a young group of players filling a middling offense. His defensive smarts will be invaluable if he ends up on a line with a pair of youngsters.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Mëds wrote: Didn't I read somewhere that Vrbata was promised that he would play with the Sedins on their line?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456319

Yep, I did.

If that was a reason for him to sign here, why would you renege on that?
It'll be up to coach Willie Desjardins to form the lines, Benning said, but it was part of the plan to give Vrbata an opportunity with the Sedins.
It looks like Vrbata will get his shot with the Sedins, but I don't think Benning ever promised him he'd be there all year or have the position gifted to him. It should be an interesting camp battle between Vrbata and Burrows to see who can get the "Sedin bump" on their stat-line this season. Hell, Jensen and/or Kassian could try to stake a claim also. New coach, new management, the competition should be wide open.

Our 2nd and 3rd line might have the likes of Kassian, Horvat, Jensen, Bonino, and Shinkaruk, all fighting for spots. If a couple of them have really good camps and pre-season, then slotting a guy like Burrows in with a couple of them adds experience to a young group of players filling a middling offense. His defensive smarts will be invaluable if he ends up on a line with a pair of youngsters.
Yep. Burrows is one of the "elder statesmen" of the forward group. He's a responsible player so whoever they put him with will have a linemate that knows where to be and how to approach the game in all three zones.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Mëds we have been through this. Vrbata was told he will get an opportunity to play with the twins but the final decision was a coaching decision. When the Canucks went shopping they targeted a RW, one they felt could play with the twins. One that would allow them to move Burrows down to the 2nd or 3rd line, or made him expendable at some point.

The two year deal is a bridge deal. If Vrbata lights it up and seems a perfect fit with the twins wouldn't 't be surprised to see him offered a two year extension. If he is OK then the Canucks have bought time for the kids to develop.

From his point of view, he has an opportunity to play with the twins and if the fit is good it brings him the added opportunity to inflate his numbers and then go for that final home run contract.

But I think we can put yo bed this nonsense that he was promised or guaranteed he would play with the twins. Both he and his agent have acknowledged that he was told he will be given the opportunity but that's it.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

The exact words from his agent was there was the "possibility" it would happen. That seems fair & up front. There's been a long list of players that our GMs have imagined would be a good fit w/ those two. Easier said than done.

IN, this isn't just about "that's where I played last year." This is a long time combination w/ proven chemistry that resulted in 1 Hart & 2 Art Ross trophies. For whatever reason, it just works. Perhaps their time has come but Willie would be well served to see if those 3 still have it together now that they're healthy again & recharged. That's a pretty good starting point and leaves more opportunities to build a strong 2nd line imo. I really like the sound of Bonino working w/ Vrbata & Kassian rather than all the eggs in one basket.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

ClamRussel wrote:
IN, this isn't just about "that's where I played last year." This is a long time combination w/ proven chemistry that resulted in 1 Hart & 2 Art Ross trophies. For whatever reason, it just works. Perhaps their time has come but Willie would be well served to see if those 3 still have it together now that they're healthy again & recharged. That's a pretty good starting point and leaves more opportunities to build a strong 2nd line imo. I really like the sound of Bonino working w/ Vrbata & Kassian rather than all the eggs in one basket.
It's really up to Burrows and Vrbata. The reality is all three of them were somewhere between underwhelming and terrible last year. A lot of reasons for that, but the Canucks would be doing themselves a disservice if they didn't explore other possibilities. It's a good thing they are promising Vrbata a shot, because Burrows needs to earn his spot on that line. That was my point.

Burrows should not be the default option, just because they were a great line from 08/09-11/12.