Forwards - 2014/15

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Forwards - 2014/15

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Whooosh...
Yeah no there's no "whooosh" dude. :hmmm:

Went something like this...

Mathonwy: "I want Burrows gone before Higgins, cuz Burrows plays dirty"

Nuckertuzzi: "Who cares if he plays dirty as long as he is clutch??" *names some dirty clutch players*

Amirite or amirite?
Whooosh!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hank wrote: Yes, David Booth was/is a better player than Alex Burrows at this point... younger, more suited to be the kind of "heavy" player that western conference teams want, was a better bottom 6 player and can outscore Burrows as a top 6.
Yeah that's just crazy talk Hank.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Whooosh!
Yeah.

Or maybe you should go back and read what you wrote.

Yeah.
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Whooosh!
Yeah.

Or maybe you should go back and read what you wrote.

Yeah.
mathonwy wrote:
herb wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Oh herb, I forgot to put that very important statistic in. Let me email NHL.com and get that put in asap.
You don't think it's relevant?

I think his history of agitation, whining about refs and unsavory tactics such as diving, embellishment and dirty play are worthy of consideration when evaluating this player.

If given the choice, I'll take the honest guy who produces at a similar rate (while not riding shotgun with the Sedins) and doesn't have the sideshow stuff.

If there's an opportunity to upgrade on Burrows, I hope Benning pulls the trigger. If there's not, then well that's fine too.
Nope, I don't. When you're building a winning hockey team, you want guys that'll cross the line once in awhile and know how to game the system.

I'm not sure how much you watched this season's Stanley Cup playoffs but if you want to talk about whining, diving and embellishment, look no further than Drew Doughty, or Sidney Crosby, or NBA's LeBron James.

But... whatever. Have your honest guy. But I'll take Burr over Vrbata any day of the week.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote:
herb wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Oh herb, I forgot to put that very important statistic in. Let me email NHL.com and get that put in asap.
You don't think it's relevant?

I think his history of agitation, whining about refs and unsavory tactics such as diving, embellishment and dirty play are worthy of consideration when evaluating this player.

If given the choice, I'll take the honest guy who produces at a similar rate (while not riding shotgun with the Sedins) and doesn't have the sideshow stuff.

If there's an opportunity to upgrade on Burrows, I hope Benning pulls the trigger. If there's not, then well that's fine too.
Nope, I don't. When you're building a winning hockey team, you want guys that'll cross the line once in awhile and know how to game the system.

I'm not sure how much you watched this season's Stanley Cup playoffs but if you want to talk about whining, diving and embellishment, look no further than Drew Doughty, or Sidney Crosby, or NBA's LeBron James.

But... whatever. Have your honest guy. But I'll take Burr over Vrbata any day of the week.
:lol: These players are all incredibly talented. Please don't tell me you're putting Burrows in that same category?

Burrows schtick has been figured out by opponents and referees alike.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
:lol: These players are all incredibly talented. Please don't tell me you're putting Burrows in that same category?

:lol:

And people say I'm being emotional...

Which "schtick" are you talking about? The one that where he pulls Duncan Keith's hair or the one where he bites Bergeron's finger?

I just want to be clear which you are referring to.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

NO Mathonwy, we were talking about your exchange with Nuckertuzzi:
Nuckertuzzi wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote: I feel exactly the same about Higgins. A good hard working player with a bit of jam and talent when he's on. When he's off, nowhere to be found. Another one of way too many guys completely invisible in the playoffs.

Burrows isn't a real great consistent playoff performer either but give me him over Higgins any day. He still has the distinction of scoring some of the biggest goals for this franchise and scored to end two playoff series. He's one of few guys who step up when you need someone to. He's to this team what Greg Adams was for the 90's teams who coincidentally ended two playoff series as well.
Higgins didn't bite anyone and didn't pull anyone's hair.

Did you take THAT into consideration?

And we also want to rename our team the Vancouver [mod edit]
Really? Who gives a shit, I'm only interested in winning Cups, not popularity contests.

Marchand, Chara, Lucic, Keith, Bolland, Byfuglien, Brown,...

What do these guys have in common other than pissing us and a lot of other teams off in recent years?
What exactly are people missing that they shouldn't have? :hmmm:

If you were going for "super sarcastic" you've gotta do better than that!

Amirite or amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Which "schtick" are you talking about? The one that where he pulls Duncan Keith's hair or the one where he bites Bergeron's finger?

Get some help Mathonwy.

You seem to be the only one getting your jokes pal.

All we're hearing is "whoosh". :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

mathonwy wrote:
Hank wrote: Completely agree with IN & 'Oib here.

For those who are calling others idiots for wanting to divest of Burrow's contract, quit being so emotional, look at the facts and use some basic logic and reasoning.

It's a bad contract. Period.

We had a better player with better term and he got bought out because his contract didn't match the value he brought.

Yes, David Booth was/is a better player than Alex Burrows at this point... younger, more suited to be the kind of "heavy" player that western conference teams want, was a better bottom 6 player and can outscore Burrows as a top 6. But Jesus is a terrible fit for this team going forward. Does heart & soul make Burrows a better fit?

It would be pretty unlikely if our new GM hasn't already approached Burrows about waiving his NTC. I for one, hope he keeps working it. Freeing up $4.5 million can get you something a hell of a lot better.
And it boggles the mind that "logical" posters can compare Burrows 2013/14 season where he suffered 2.5 catastrophic injuries to David Booth.

David BOOTH???? I ...uhh... can't even ... whatever. I'm not going to bother arguing with you Hank. YOU WIN. :thumbs:

And why are you bringing Jesus into the conversation? I don't think he skates but he sure does do some good landscaping.
Uh, learn to read before you get all emotional as you are normally are.

I said David Booth was a better player than Alex Burrows last year... and he was. David Booth will likely be a better player than Alex Burrows going forward.

Nowhere did a say Booth was a good player. I said Booth was a bad fit for this team... because he just wasn't very good at what he was supposedly paid to do. So it would be a bad deal to keep a guy like that around even though his term with 1 year left is much better than Burrows.

So if Booth, with his more suitable skill set for the western conference, his better offensive game at this stage, his better productivity with 3rd line minutes than Burrows... still is deemed to have a contract that is bad value, why on earth should "heart & soul" with his age and diminishing game be kept for another 3 years when Jesus Booth himself (a better player at this stage than Alex Burrows) should have been bought out or traded much earlier?

I'm not saying Booth was/is a good player or had a great contract. I'm saying Booth was/is a better player and had a better contract than Burrows. And that is a sad, sad indictment of Alex Burrows and his current game. Comprendez?

Who gives a shit about Burrows injuries? Did you not notice that lots of Canucks had catastrophic injuries? When Burrows was out, the team was probably better. When others were out, the team was catastrophically bad. Burrows just sucked when he was healthy... in every role he was in, whether it be scoring or checking.

Alex Burrows may be the salt of the earth and I don't give a shit about his real or perceived rat-like reputation. His contract is BAD for the value he has been providing. Management would be wise to divest themselves of his contract like they did with Booth's.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:

Get some help Mathonwy.

You seem to be the only one getting your jokes pal.

All we're hearing is "whoosh". :hmmm:
Actually.. IN did... lol

Carry on.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Actually.. IN did... lol

Carry on.
Actually he was laughing at you not with you. :hmmm:

And that was to do with an entirely different matter. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote: Which "schtick" are you talking about? The one that where he pulls Duncan Keith's hair or the one where he bites Bergeron's finger?

Put it this way, when Doughty wines and cries, refs sometimes listen. When Crosby dives, the refs arm sometimes goes up. Everyone knows and expects Burrows to flop around and put on his pouty face. He's just not talented enough to warrant the calls, nor does he have any shred of respect with the refs so that when he whines, they actually listen. His goodwill and respect is nil.

The hair pulling and biting is just a sad display of his manhood (or lack thereof). It never really had much impact on the game, except for what other players (and fans) thought about him.

If Burrows can get back to scoring goals and having an impact ON (AND IN) THE GAME, then he might be a useful player for us going forward. But paying $4.5M for a 33 year old penalty killer and former big-goal guy, that is universally despised by most of the hockey world, isn't my idea of a sound investment.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Hank wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
Hank wrote: Completely agree with IN & 'Oib here.

For those who are calling others idiots for wanting to divest of Burrow's contract, quit being so emotional, look at the facts and use some basic logic and reasoning.

It's a bad contract. Period.

We had a better player with better term and he got bought out because his contract didn't match the value he brought.

Yes, David Booth was/is a better player than Alex Burrows at this point... younger, more suited to be the kind of "heavy" player that western conference teams want, was a better bottom 6 player and can outscore Burrows as a top 6. But Jesus is a terrible fit for this team going forward. Does heart & soul make Burrows a better fit?

It would be pretty unlikely if our new GM hasn't already approached Burrows about waiving his NTC. I for one, hope he keeps working it. Freeing up $4.5 million can get you something a hell of a lot better.
And it boggles the mind that "logical" posters can compare Burrows 2013/14 season where he suffered 2.5 catastrophic injuries to David Booth.

David BOOTH???? I ...uhh... can't even ... whatever. I'm not going to bother arguing with you Hank. YOU WIN. :thumbs:

And why are you bringing Jesus into the conversation? I don't think he skates but he sure does do some good landscaping.
Uh, learn to read before you get all emotional as you are normally are.

I said David Booth was a better player than Alex Burrows last year... and he was. David Booth will likely be a better player than Alex Burrows going forward.

Nowhere did a say Booth was a good player. I said Booth was a bad fit for this team... because he just wasn't very good at what he was supposedly paid to do. So it would be a bad deal to keep a guy like that around even though his term with 1 year left is much better than Burrows.

So if Booth, with his more suitable skill set for the western conference, his better offensive game at this stage, his better productivity with 3rd line minutes than Burrows... still is deemed to have a contract that is bad value, why on earth should "heart & soul" with his age and diminishing game be kept for another 3 years when Jesus Booth himself (a better player at this stage than Alex Burrows) should have been bought out or traded much earlier?

I'm not saying Booth was/is a good player or had a great contract. I'm saying Booth was/is a better player and had a better contract than Burrows. And that is a sad, sad indictment of Alex Burrows and his current game. Comprendez?

Who gives a shit about Burrows injuries? Did you not notice that lots of Canucks had catastrophic injuries? When Burrows was out, the team was probably better. When others were out, the team was catastrophically bad. Burrows just sucked when he was healthy... in every role he was in, whether it be scoring or checking.

Alex Burrows may be the salt of the earth and I don't give a shit about his real or perceived rat-like reputation. His contract is BAD for the value he has been providing. Management would be wise to divest themselves of his contract like they did with Booth's.
Who gives a shit about Burrows injuries...

Probably the same guy that chose to buy David Booth out and not Alex Burrows.

Name me one other Canuck that broke two bones last season.

And I don't know what game you were watching last season but it wasn't the Canucks. Burr went on a scoring tear late last season when he got healthy.

March 12, 2013 versus the Jets - 2 goals
March 16, 2013 versus the Cats - 2 assists
March 17, 2013 versus the Bolts - 2 goals, 1 assist
March 19, 2013 versus the Preds - Weber CHOP... Burr wasn't the same after that but we DID have a mini little run with Jensen and Kassian leading the charge. :thumbs:

You can be honest with me Hank. Did you actually watch any of the games when Burr got healthy or you just making your observations based on the earlier in the season games?
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Actually.. IN did... lol

Carry on.
Actually he was laughing at you not with you. :hmmm:

And that was to do with an entirely different matter. :hmmm:
Strange.. stick with what you know.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Which "schtick" are you talking about? The one that where he pulls Duncan Keith's hair or the one where he bites Bergeron's finger?

Put it this way, when Doughty wines and cries, refs sometimes listen. When Crosby dives, the refs arm sometimes goes up. Everyone knows and expects Burrows to flop around and put on his pouty face. He's just not talented enough to warrant the calls, nor does he have any shred of respect with the refs so that when he whines, they actually listen. His goodwill and respect is nil.

The hair pulling and biting is just a sad display of his manhood (or lack thereof). It never really had much impact on the game, except for what other players (and fans) thought about him.

If Burrows can get back to scoring goals and having an impact ON (AND IN) THE GAME, then he might be a useful player for us going forward. But paying $4.5M for a 33 year old penalty killer and former big-goal guy, that is universally despised by most of the hockey world, isn't my idea of a sound investment.
These are subjective observations of yours IN based on Burrows play 4 years ago.

Very few on this board has given Burr any credit for cleaning up his act and keep on wanting to crucify him for past sins (and you call yourselves Canuck fans :P). I just hope to jebus that Burr has a bounce back year and even then... I don't think folks like you will forgive him for his biteyness and hair pullyness.

Ill ask you the same question I asked Hank. Did you watch the late season games where Burr finally got healthy? Or did you tune out like the rest of Canuck nation?