CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: CANUCKS SIGN RYAN MILLER

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Btw, I think Kopitar is close to suparstar forward if he isn't there already. And the difference is they have superstars in other key positions. As far as I know there are no superstar/difference-makers on the horizon for us...but that can change, let's hope.
I'm assuming you're talking about Doughty and Quick. Quick was a 72nd overall choice, the 8th goalie taken in that draft. Nobody saw "franchise goalie". He developed into one. Doughty, yeah. Nice to have a guy like that. But again, look at guys like Duncan Keith (54th overall) or Zdeno Chara (56th). You think LA is pissed they picked Brian Boyle and Jeff Tambellini immediately before Corey Perry? Absolutely they are. There's a reason they're called prospects.

The Bolded is where I take issue. Folks constantly harping about "lack of guaranteed star power" is such a garbage statement. It makes about as much sense as me guaranteeing that Horvat and Virtanen are future all-stars. Nobody really knows how it's going to pan out, and it smacks of blind ignorance when folks diminish the potential of our prospects by writing them off as 18/19 year olds.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Bolded is where I take issue. Folks constantly harping about "lack of guaranteed star power" is such a garbage statement. It makes about as much sense as me guaranteeing that Horvat and Virtanen are future all-stars. Nobody really knows how it's going to pan out, and it smacks of blind ignorance when folks diminish the potential of our prospects by writing them off as 18/19 year olds.
Exactly. That's primarily why I was so adamant that it was nuts to suggest offering Horvat +6th for 1st this year when there's no guarantee 6th will turn out better than 1st. For all we know, Horvat could turn out better than all of them. Maybe Cassels turns out better than Shinkaruk. To be honest I can't remember the Canucks ever having so many players with so much promise all at the same time. We've certainly had better prospects over the years (as in star potential) but never a stable like this imo.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote:That's primarily why I was so adamant that it was nuts to suggest offering Horvat +6th for 1st this year
Yeah the vast majority of us thought the "Horvat +6th for 1st" was nuts for a variety of reasons.

BUT GUYS... this is the RYAN MILLER thread. :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:That's primarily why I was so adamant that it was nuts to suggest offering Horvat +6th for 1st this year
Yeah the vast majority of us thought the "Horvat +6th for 1st" was nuts for a variety of reasons.

BUT GUYS... this is the RYAN MILLER thread. :thumbs:
Agreed - and I don't have much of an issue with signing Miller. I think the team is better now than at the end of last year, passengers like Booth, Schroeder and Dalpe are gone and have been upgraded. Kesler is a big loss but Bonino should come close to what he did last year - Kesler last year wasn't Kesler 3 years ago.

Miller will be better than Lack even though he's no longer a superstar and should help the team.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Diehard1 wrote: Miller will be better than Lack even though he's no longer a superstar and should help the team.
Might not be a superstar, but he can still log big minutes and won't get rattled playing for a (likely) so-so team. Not saying Lack is one to get rattled, just that he's not ready to be subjected to that experience full-time yet.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Diehard1 wrote: Miller will be better than Lack even though he's no longer a superstar and should help the team.
Might not be a superstar, but he can still log big minutes and won't get rattled playing for a (likely) so-so team. Not saying Lack is one to get rattled, just that he's not ready to be subjected to that experience full-time yet.
The one thing I like about the signing ....... is that it's a clear indicator they aren't going to try to be a collapsing, shot blocking team like the debacle we saw last season. :mex:
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:The Bolded is where I take issue. Folks constantly harping about "lack of guaranteed star power" is such a garbage statement. It makes about as much sense as me guaranteeing that Horvat and Virtanen are future all-stars. Nobody really knows how it's going to pan out, and it smacks of blind ignorance when folks diminish the potential of our prospects by writing them off as 18/19 year olds.

I want to make something clear. I am genuinely excited about our crop of prospects. Trust me on that, it's been a long time since I've been as hopeful of our future as I am now. If I wasn't I wouldn't be so adamant about picking high next year, and would probably say screw it and go hard at the playoffs just to keep me semi-entertained. Because this group appears to be promising, I want to insulate them as much as possible and give them the best chance to contend when they collectively mature. I want to maximize the chances of finding our next great player and adding a high pick at this coming draft will do just that.

I also want to stay realistic in my expectations. While we have half a dozen promising kids, it's realistic to expect only a third of them to reach or exceed their top-end potential. That's usually the way it shakes down. Most if not all of our group don't have elite potential..now whether the scouts are right about that remains to be seen. Of course I hope they're wrong and Shinkaruk goes on to have a 1,000 point career and Vertanen our first 500 goal scorer. That certainly can happen. I just want to stay realistic and don't believe it will. Perhaps that sounds like a negative point of view or blind ignorance as you put it. That's ok, I have no issues with anybody challenging my viewpoint. That's what we're here for, to express them.

Oh and sorry if this is off topic but in a way it isn't because the Miller signing signals the team's push for a playoff spot and that's the crux of the debate.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Nuckertuzzi wrote: I also want to stay realistic in my expectations. While we have half a dozen promising kids, it's realistic to expect only a third of them to reach or exceed their top-end potential. That's usually the way it shakes down. Most if not all of our group don't have elite potential..now whether the scouts are right about that remains to be seen. Of course I hope they're wrong and Shinkaruk goes on to have a 1,000 point career and Vertanen our first 500 goal scorer. That certainly can happen. I just want to stay realistic and don't believe it will. Perhaps that sounds like a negative point of view or blind ignorance as you put it. That's ok, I have no issues with anybody challenging my viewpoint. That's what we're here for, to express them.
Do you have a working definition for "elite"? Is Jeff Carter an "elite" player? Is Jeff Skinner? Is Patrice Bergeron? Do you need to be a top-5 NHL player to be "elite"?
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Do you have a working definition for "elite"? Is Jeff Carter an "elite" player? Is Jeff Skinner? Is Patrice Bergeron? Do you need to be a top-5 NHL player to be "elite"?

Elite by my definition would be a player who's among the best as in top 2 or 3 at his position...a player who can single-handedly impact a game.

Carter, Bergeron and Skinner are great players and the group we have can most definitely achieve that kind of status. Carter and Bergeron are Cup champs but they wouldn't be if they didn't have elite players on their teams, whereas Skinner doesn't and he's not a Cup champ. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. I can see Horvat being a Bergeron, or Shinkaruk/Vertanen being Skinner/Carter. That would be fantastic but will it be enough? I want an elite impact player in the mix to insulate them and this might be the best chance to get one. I'd hate for our new group to be perpetually close but missing that one big piece.

As long time Canucks fans, we all should know how rare an opportunity it is of getting those kind of players. The opportunity seems to be there this year and what a perfect time with the collection of prospects we've accumulated the past couple years. Maybe you guys are right and that we can still draft that piece picking in the mid-teens. That might be possible.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Nuckertuzzi wrote: Oh and sorry if this is off topic but in a way it isn't because the Miller signing signals the team's push for a playoff spot and that's the crux of the debate.
I thought the Miller signing pretty much... ended... the debate. Image

Playoffs here we come!!! Image

____
Try to focus on someday.
Cousin Strawberry
MVP
MVP

Post by Cousin Strawberry »

Strangelove wrote:
Nuckertuzzi wrote: Oh and sorry if this is off topic but in a way it isn't because the Miller signing signals the team's push for a playoff spot and that's the crux of the debate.

Canucks playoff wagon:
Sigh...I suppose I'll end my complaint tirade. Nothings going to change with this franchise and I will always be a fan. Might as well resign myself to another 40+ of the same so...

Go Canucks go.

Miller better have some game left in that scrawny little body.
If you need air...call it in
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Canucks playoff wagon:
Sigh...I suppose I'll end my complaint tirade. Nothings going to change with this franchise and I will always be a fan. Might as well resign myself to another 40+ of the same so...

Go Canucks go.

welcome back buddy :D :D :D

lots of room on the bandwagon
have a beer and settle in -its gonna be fun... maybe, if we can afford tickets, there will actually be some available this year...
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

Uncle dans leg wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Canucks playoff wagon:

Go Canucks go.

a Bennett buggy...
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Knocked up his wife and due in March. Just in time for the playoff run.

We've seen this movie before. Hope there aren't any complications.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Topper wrote:Knocked up his wife and due in March. Just in time for the playoff run.

We've seen this movie before. Hope there aren't any complications.
She's apparantly going to pose for playboy as well. Hope it doesn't create a jeff brown/ryan kesler among one of our doods. :lol:

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-players-w ... nt-images/