Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

herb
CC Legend

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by herb »

Topper wrote:Remember how bizarre it was when GMMG rushed resigned him.
So strange. And for two years to boot.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

He should clear waivers and if he does it maybe just what he needs. If he can play a solid 10 minutes a night in Utica without fighting or taking stupid penalties he might earn his way back. But let's face it, if he is in the line up it will throw the lines out of balance.
I suspect if he is still on the team we may see him dress during the Cali trip, at least once.
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

^ Why dress your worst player against the best teams?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

hmm I'd unleash the BeasTito vs the Cali teams first, since we'll probably get roasted anyways vs the MIGHTY TITANS in california.

--
Island Nucklehead wrote:
SKYO wrote: small sample size bud, and last trade deadline wasn't that great as the cap was uber low and most contending teams were right up to the cap.
Contending teams are generally ALWAYS close to the cap. Remember a couple years ago where it was just the Canucks and Flyers diving into LTIR, our dark little "how can we hide Sami Salo this week" secret? This year 1/3 of the league is already into it. That means teams like Philly, Chicago, Washington, Boston, Dallas, Pittsburgh, Rangers, Toronto (lol), or Tampa won't be able to add a Burrows at the deadline without clearing salary first.
Teams real close to contending if they have space love to add depth towards the deadline.
Small sample size, no? This team has gone from looking great to looking terrible. From scoring in bunches to being blown out. Consistency is king in the NHL, and teams that don't have it rarely make it to the playoffs. Parity accross the league should keep us within striking distance (we're 4 points from 1st in the West, 5 points from the Basement), but this team needs to perform at a high level more often, against better competition to get to where they can consider "adding" come deadline time.
Anyways, Matthias had a real solid game tonight, and as I said a lot already, as the season goes on I can see him getting better, he can only go up from his invisible start.
Agreed, he did play well, but Matthias will simply not have much trade value. He's a 4th line player that lacks offensive ability to score, the faceoff prowess to shut down, and the meanness to intimidate.
Sestito might want to be traded though if he doesn't get any games soon.
Sestito would clear waivers. I can't see anyone giving up assets for that guy.

How dare you make me reply to multiple points. jk

Last season no team basically was able to make any deals with the ultra low cap, this season there is more breathing room, which will be helpful to the bubble playoff teams that have some space.

I'd rather just keep Matthias then if he won't fetch much, I think he and Kassian will create a foridable 3rd line.

I know goons are being phased out, but at least Sestito hits with a passion, and when he hits, he hits to hurt, he'd be awesome 10+ years ago before the NHL turned into the pussy league where all hits either creates a fight or the good hitter get's a penalty for some bullshit like roughing/interference/boarding yadayada.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:I know someone who would suggest he take Vey's spot on the PP. But that person would also have Kassian taking Verbata's spot.
What sort of a trout-sniffer would say THAT??!! :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

SKYO wrote:
How dare you make me reply to multiple points. jk
Sorry bud :lol:
Last season no team basically was able to make any deals with the ultra low cap, this season there is more breathing room, which will be helpful to the bubble playoff teams that have some space.

I'd rather just keep Matthias then if he won't fetch much, I think he and Kassian will create a foridable 3rd line.
I guess the big question for Benning is: Do we want to re-sign Matthias? He is a UFA this summer. He will come cheap. If Benning likes what he brings to the table, it is to re-sign him. If he doesn't factor into our plans, then trading him for a 5th or 6th rounder probably makes the most sense. I don't think he's a make-or-break, core player for this franchise, nor will have a big market. Conversely, he might be worth more to THIS franchise than a 6th rounder.
I know goons are being phased out, but at least Sestito hits with a passion, and when he hits, he hits to hurt, he'd be awesome 10+ years ago before the NHL turned into the pussy league where all hits either creates a fight or the good hitter get's a penalty for some bullshit like roughing/interference/boarding yadayada.
Yeah Tom just doesn't factor into the NHL anymore. Frankly, I'm not sure Sestito fits with Willie's game-plan. Can he even play 10 NHL minutes per game? I have my doubts. If we're looking for someone to fill in at 13th forward, shouldn't the be capable of stepping in when injuries occur? A guy like Cal O'Reilly is a PPG player in the AHL, he's 28 years old, he is what he is. Surely he can bring more to the table in the case of injury than a guy like Sestito, who might be able to replace some of Dorsett's or Matthias' minutes, but nobody else's. I just don't see the point of keeping Sestito on the roster. If he won't play against Calgary or Edmonton, why would he against teams like Chicago or Los Angeles?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:I guess the big question for Benning is: Do we want to re-sign Matthias? He is a UFA this summer. He will come cheap. If Benning likes what he brings to the table, it is to re-sign him. If he doesn't factor into our plans, then trading him for a 5th or 6th rounder probably makes the most sense. I don't think he's a make-or-break, core player for this franchise, nor will have a big market. Conversely, he might be worth more to THIS franchise than a 6th rounder.
It'll come down to Dorsett or Matthias at the end of this season of whom to re-sign imo, hoping Matthias re-signs as he has more skill than Dorsett, and can put up some points, whereas Dorsett seems to be a magnet for attracting penalties.

Tito will be let go, gotta think Richardson should be re-signed soon, he's a superb bottom 6 center, remember all those painful years of shitty 4th line centers we had? Joel Perrault, Mario Bliznak, Johnson, Dalpe, Bolduc, Ebbett...lol yeah we should re-sign Richardson!!!! plus at least he's capable of playing spot duty on the 3rd line center when needed and he's been a good mentor for our big lug in Kassian.
Lapierre was one of the best, but we needed change to get way from all the pesky/agitating players we once had.
Island Nucklehead wrote:Yeah Tom just doesn't factor into the NHL anymore. Frankly, I'm not sure Sestito fits with Willie's game-plan. Can he even play 10 NHL minutes per game? I have my doubts. If we're looking for someone to fill in at 13th forward, shouldn't the be capable of stepping in when injuries occur? A guy like Cal O'Reilly is a PPG player in the AHL, he's 28 years old, he is what he is. Surely he can bring more to the table in the case of injury than a guy like Sestito, who might be able to replace some of Dorsett's or Matthias' minutes, but nobody else's. I just don't see the point of keeping Sestito on the roster. If he won't play against Calgary or Edmonton, why would he against teams like Chicago or Los Angeles?
I think the only reason tito will play vs the big cali teams is because we'll probably get our arse's kicked - score wise, so if we can't beat em, might as well try to hurt em!
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Topper wrote:I know someone who would suggest he take Vey's spot on the PP. But that person would also have Kassian taking Verbata's spot.
<------- :D

So far, we have had a pretty lite schedule and they put up some points against "weaker" teans, which is great. I'll give them credit for hitting the score sheet for now, but can they put up points against the tougher teams? (ie: the Cali teams/the big bad Bs) We'll find out soon enuff, I think we going on that Cali road trip in early Nov.

Verbata put up some points with the Sedins in a short span, so what? I can give u a whole list of guys who have had some good moments playing with the Sedins: Klatt, King, Carter, Arvedson, Burr, even Kassassian.

As for my buddy Tommy Sestito, I'm not the only guy who thinks he can play. Former NHLer and HNIC commentator Kelly Hrudy is impressed by him too. I'll give Dorsett credit, he hustles out there, plays hard and throws his weight around. He's probably the type of player that Rick Rypien would of become (god bless his soul). I personally prefer Sestito cuz he's quite a bit bigger and I think has a better skill set. As we lost the Weiser for nothing, I hope we don't lose Tommy in a similar fashion.

SKYO wrote: Anyways, Matthias had a real solid game tonight, and as I said a lot already, as the season goes on I can see him getting better, he can only go up from his invisible start.
I like Matthias as well. He's big, young and has a reasonable price tag. I'd keep him over the likes of Burr, Higgy and Hansen. If JB doesn't think he can resign him and gets a good offer for him @ the deadline, then maybe move him. Otherwise, keep him me sez.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

As much as I dislike Dorsett, he can play the PK.......unlike Sestito.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Topper wrote:As much as I dislike Dorsett, he can play the PK.......unlike Sestito.
Dorsett makes over 2X of what Tommy makes too. Is it really a good use of dollars and cap space to spend $2M on an elite 4th liner? I dunno.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
Topper wrote:As much as I dislike Dorsett, he can play the PK.......unlike Sestito.
Dorsett makes over 2X of what Tommy makes too. Is it really a good use of dollars and cap space to spend $2M on an elite 4th liner? I dunno.
He probably IS twice the hockey player Sestito is. Dorsett''s averaged .22 PPG throughout his career, vs Sestito's .13. Sestito's career TOI averages 6:10 per game, Dorsett is 12:19.

Sestito is a goon. That's the limit of his abilities. He's not even an "elite" level goon. Dorsett brings much more to the table. If Willie is serious about running 4 lines, Sestito won't be in the picture if he can't play 10+ per night. I doubt he lasts the season in a Canuck uniform, especially if he's going to get bitchy about not playing.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Tom seems like a good guy, but did he really think the smartest career move was for the marginal 4th line goon to complain to management about ice time?
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

herb wrote:Tom seems like a good guy, but did he really think
No, they don't pay him to do that.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

BurningBeard wrote:
herb wrote:Tom seems like a good guy, but did he really think
No, they don't pay him to do that.
lol poor Tom.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

I wonder if he submitted a list of preferred destinations?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.