Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by SKYO »

Why Are the Predators Under Pressure to Deal Shea Weber?

http://thehockeywriters.com/why-are-the ... hea-weber/
There’s no doubt that Shea Weber is one of the faces of the Nashville Predators. He’s played there his entire career since he made his début in 2005, and the fan-favorite has been captain since the 2010-11 season.

However, could a man who is seemingly untradeable really be dealt?

It’s something that’s getting traction and now some wonder why is Nashville feeling the pressure to deal its captain.
If there was ever guy to complete the Canucks defense right now, the mighty Shea Weber would be it.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Weber has made it clear he doesn't want to play in Vancouver. That being said its not a fit, we are rebuilding. I would assume that he would only waive to go to a cup contender at his age. Not to mention you'd have to completely guy your future to get him.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

RoyalDude wrote:Weber has made it clear he doesn't want to play in Vancouver. That being said its not a fit, we are rebuilding. I would assume that he would only waive to go to a cup contender at his age. Not to mention you'd have to completely guy your future to get him.

He doesn't have a NTC. It was not something that was in the Flyers offer sheet or something like that and Nashville didn't add one or something like that, I think. Can't remember the real deal now. I'll double check.

Ok, contract expires 2026 with no trade protection. Nashville can unload him any time. And he didn't say he had no interest in playing here. He almost signed a one year offer sheet to play here knowing Nashville would match and he would be UFA the following year and even discussed what his Canucks contract would look like then with Gillis. The problem was the up coming new CBA would be in place and no one knew what the landscape would be. What they knew for sure was that contract lengths would be capped. He and his agent opted to sign the best possible offer sheet with the longest Suter/Parise type terms while he had the chance.
The only HW the Canucks need
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Hockey Widow wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Weber has made it clear he doesn't want to play in Vancouver. That being said its not a fit, we are rebuilding. I would assume that he would only waive to go to a cup contender at his age. Not to mention you'd have to completely guy your future to get him.
Ok, contract expires 2026 with no trade protection. Nashville can unload him any time. And he didn't say he had no interest in playing here. He almost signed a one year offer sheet to play here knowing Nashville would match and he would be UFA the following year and even discussed what his Canucks contract would look like then with Gillis.
Yeah iirc Vancouver was in his last 5 teams he'd sign a contract with, but the Flyers obviously made the highest offer.

Weber is only 29, has a good 8 years left of good hockey enough time for the young guys to develop and prosper with the mighty Shea holding the fort down.

But yeah the assets to acquire him would be insane, still this team in it's entire history has never had a dman of his caliber.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I think the Canucks contracts are set up nicely for whatever this team goes through this upcoming season, make the playoffs we got a lot of character guys to contend with, if we don't make it - we got a lot of expiring contracts contenders would love to trade for at the deadline.

Vrbata, Prust, Hamhuis, Bartkowski, Y. Weber.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

SKYO wrote:I think the Canucks contracts are set up nicely for whatever this team goes through this upcoming season, make the playoffs we got a lot of character guys to contend with, if we don't make it - we got a lot of expiring contracts contenders would love to trade for at the deadline.

And non expiring ones too in Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Sbisa.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
SKYO wrote:I think the Canucks contracts are set up nicely for whatever this team goes through this upcoming season, make the playoffs we got a lot of character guys to contend with, if we don't make it - we got a lot of expiring contracts contenders would love to trade for at the deadline.

They all have some form of trade protection.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

And that will stop Benning from trading them how? :mrgreen:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Island Nucklehead wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: And non expiring ones too in Hansen, Higgins, Burrows, Sbisa.
And that will stop Benning from trading them how? :mrgreen:
I hope it doesn't.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

5 - 1st rounders next draft would be nice. 8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Yeah, I'll take 1st through 5th overall.

No, you know what, that's not realistic.

1st through 3rd.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

dbr wrote:Yeah, I'll take 1st through 5th overall.

No, you know what, that's not realistic.

1st through 3rd.
I'd be cool with that. 8-)

---

Seeing as we got a connection with TB with the JayG trade, how about another deal!

http://thehockeywriters.com/a-bolt-of-l ... n-dilemma/
A Bolt Of Lightning: Tampa Bay’s Jonathan Drouin Dilemma

You can’t quite call it a problem, but it’s certainly something.

You can’t call it a problem, because a majority of teams in the NHL would love to have the young man on their team, but it’s certainly something because a young man like him shouldn’t ever be a healthy scratch. How about calling it a dilemma?

As the Tampa Bay Lightning made their run to game six of the Stanley Cup Final, Jonathan Drouin played, as we pointed it out here, the waiting game. The team was rolling, and head coach Jon Cooper had little to no incentive to thrust a struggling young player into his lineup; so Drouin only suited up for six playoff games. It made sense and, for the most part, we all agreed at the time that we would do the same if we had been in Cooper’s shoes. (We’ll never be, because he is awesome and we are not.)

But, they say, that was then and this is now. And now? Now is the off-season, and Cooper and general manager Steve Yzerman face a dilemma—namely, what will they do with the 20-year-old next season? Because, oh yes, the vultures/John Doe managers are already circling the team.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

I think we visited this idea about a month back. While I would be happy to take a flyer on the kid, methinks the price would be exhorbitant. That said, who knows what can get worked out? Depends on what Stevie Y wants/needs. It's not like we're overflowing with almost-ready LW prospects of his calibre.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

The Canucks don't have the assets necessary to acquire Jonathan Drouin.

As for five first rounders Skyo , Ignitowski will do well to get us a second 1st round pick if he can convince Hamhuis to waive . He may be able to fetch a 2nd rounder for Vrbata if he's playing well .
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Didn't Tampa pass on Seth Jones to get Drouin?