Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

damonberryman
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by damonberryman »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah rikster, that Tanev guy totally struggles in his own end. :lol:
No shit . He can skate it out or pass it out . Guy is a hell of a player . He isn't a hitter or an offensive Dynamo but he can flat out play defence . I guess blocking passes , breaking up plays , penalty killing and making very few mistakes has no value . I'm sure there are people on this board who would trade him for Dion Phaneuf regardless of salary . I wouldn't make that trade if the contracts were equal. Tanev is criminally undersold here .
Absofuckinglutely
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

damonberryman wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah rikster, that Tanev guy totally struggles in his own end. :lol:
No shit . He can skate it out or pass it out . Guy is a hell of a player . He isn't a hitter or an offensive Dynamo but he can flat out play defence . I guess blocking passes , breaking up plays , penalty killing and making very few mistakes has no value . I'm sure there are people on this board who would trade him for Dion Phaneuf regardless of salary . I wouldn't make that trade if the contracts were equal. Tanev is criminally undersold here .
Absofuckinglutely
The only reason for Benning to trade Tanev for Hamonic is if Hamonic is as smart as Tanev and can move the puck with the same degree of proficiency.....and of course it would have to be a straight up one-for-one.

We know Hamonic has about 15 pounds on Tanev (maybe 20). He's a more physical defender, which is something we need right now. So for me it's a no-brainer, if they do that player for player, then you pull the trigger.

Not because Tanev isn't good, he definitely is. Blob is right about how badly undersold Tanev is around here, but Tanev is NOT a franchise defenseman, so we shouldn't be so attached to him that we won't move him for an immediate upgrade.

However, IF Hamonic is only a lateral move overall, then there is no point.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Mëds wrote:
Not because Tanev isn't good, he definitely is. Blob is right about how badly undersold Tanev is around here, but Tanev is NOT a franchise defenseman, so we shouldn't be so attached to him that we won't move him for an immediate upgrade.
I look at Tanev as a younger version of Hamhuis - and I also see that as his upside. Hamhuis was the 3rd-best d-man in Nashville behind Weber and Suter, but was our #1 when he arrived in Vancouver.

Hamhuis was the "#1" defenseman for years on the Canucks. If Hamhuis was ever the 2nd-best defender on this team, we'd have one of the best blue-lines. Similarly, Tanev will be our best defenseman for the next few years. But if he can ever get pushed down the depth chart by a real superstar defenseman, the Canucks will be a very dangerous team.

But as it stands, I'd think JB would have a very hard time trading away his best defenseman, unless he's somehow upgrading the defense in another way.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Miller is an average goalie at best . It's a bad contract any way you slice it . If they re up him it's fucking retarded . You can't carry four or five shitty contracts in a cap world and expect to be competitive . We have a couple bad ones and a couple not so great ones. Cap management needs to improve in Vancouver . It isn't rocket science .
It's relative to the situation. Miller was designed to be a workhorse and to give a developing core a veteran to play in front while the system fermented a Demko-shaped replacement for him...

To ignore that in terms of why he was paid is absurd. They paid the market rate but they weren't paying him as a guy to take them to the next level. Frankly, I think it's proven to be a good move. There was no way to make this team a contender in the last two years.

That said, you can't let the team collapse into the abyss completely like Edmonton did. So, when you're looking for placeholders, cap space isn't really that essential and that contract will be long gone before we're looking to buy ourselves some players.

EDIT:

Annnd... I mean we might even get a pick next year at the deadline out of it. So really, paying ownership money, for assets is by no means stupid.
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

Mëds wrote:
However, IF Hamonic is only a lateral move overall, then there is no point.
What's interesting is that Tanev was better than Hamonic in 13-14 but Hamonic was significantly better than Tanev last year. Their point shares are almost identical this year though. Very difficult to give one or the other the upper-hand.

Hamonic hits more but also gives up the puck more according to the numbers. Tough to say.
Lancer
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Lancer »

More chatter about Montreal potentially dealing Tinordi.
From Friedman: A lot of the trade attention now is on the New York Islanders with Travis Hamonic, but watch out for the Montreal Canadiens. It’s tough sometimes to tell with Marc Bergevin, because he’s one of the more active GMs in the league (according to his compatriots). He makes a lot of calls, often seeing what’s out there as much as anything.

I can’t say when it will happen, but there is certainly a feeling he’s going to add. They know their best window under the cap is before the summer of 2018, when Carey Price needs a new contract. It wouldn’t be a surprise if he’s looking at upgrades both at forward and on defence.

As for what Montreal might give up: at some point, the Jarred Tinordi situation has to end. Bergevin was asking for two seconds last summer, but it’s probably less now.
Would Vrbata for Tinordi do it?

Depends on how you look at it. Benning would be overpaying for a young defenceman who can't crack the starting lineup - a Baertschi-like scenario except on the blueline. Bergevin might be overpaying for a soon-to-be UFA who's 34 years old. If Bergevin really sees a window of opportunity to win it all before he has to pay Price even more, maybe Benning has leverage, even if Vrbata can't find the back of the net these days.

If not Vrbata, then who? Burrows?

Who fills the void left by Vrbata's departure? Why not somebody like Gaunce, Grenier or Shinkaruk? It's not like this bunch will be contending so why not give the kids a chance?

This may be something that culminates at the TDD but depends on how bad the blueline sucks from here till Christmas and/or how bad Montreal misses Gallagher - though he and Vrbata are not the same kind of player.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

bring all tha bc boyz home! Barrie and now - Blue Jackets are listening to trade offers for No. 1 center Ryan Johansen.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/con ... ersey.html
As the Blue Jackets gathered this morning for an optional skate in Prudential Center, two stories -- one macro, one micro -- wafted in the air, both regarding Blue Jackets' centers.

The macro: as first reported by TSN, the Blue Jackets are listening to trade offers for No. 1 center Ryan Johansen.

"It’s weird," Johansen said of the rumors and the front-page treatment by Canada's ESPN. "I’ve never seen it before. It definitely catches your mom and dad’s attention (back home in Canada). A lot of players have been down this road. It’s my job to play hockey and that’s what I’m going to do."

We'll find out where Dubinsky and Wennberg fit in the lineup during morning skate. We do know that Johnasen will open between left wing Boone Jenner and right wing Brandon Saad, but the others are a mystery.

Johansen ended Sunday's game vs. San Jose on the fourth line and played a season-low 13:52, which no doubt prompted NHL GMs to pick up the phone and dial Columbus. To be clear, the Blue Jackets aren't shopping Johansen, per se. But if a team is interested and wants to make an offer, why not listen?
Granted we've been saying this since I can't remember, Kariya, Niedermayer, Sakic etc

(torts our secret mole)
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

SKYO wrote:
Granted we've been saying this since I can't remember, Kariya, Niedermayer, Sakic etc
Niedermayer wanted to play for the Canucks in 2005. Nonis chose Naslund over Niedermayer...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Jovocop wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Niedermayer wanted to play for the Canucks in 2005. Nonis chose Naslund over Niedermayer...
Ummm.....no.

The Canucks were talking to Niedermayer, and rumor was it was close, but Scott went to Anaheim because the he wanted to finish his career with his brother.

There were also rumors that if Scott signed in Vancouver the Canucks would have to bend over backwards to try and trade for Rob.

Naslund had nothing to do with it.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Mëds wrote:
Jovocop wrote:
SKYO wrote:
Ummm.....no.

The Canucks were talking to Niedermayer, and rumor was it was close, but Scott went to Anaheim because the he wanted to finish his career with his brother.

There were also rumors that if Scott signed in Vancouver the Canucks would have to bend over backwards to try and trade for Rob.

Naslund had nothing to do with it.
Naslund was a UFA in 2005. He signed with the Canucks on August 3, 2005 for $6m per year. Niedermayer signed with the Ducks on August 5, 2005 for $6.75m per year. The Canucks could not afford both Naslund and Niedermayer. The rumor at the time was that Niedermayer really wanted to play at home...
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Wasn't it Burke who had deftly re-signed his bro Rob (who then probably convinced Scott to sign there *breakin the rules*) you ain't trying if you ain't cheatin'.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

SKYO wrote:Wasn't it Burke who had deftly re-signed his bro Rob (who then probably convinced Scott to sign there *breakin the rules*) you ain't trying if you ain't cheatin'.
I tried to explain that philosophy to my wife at her Christmas party last year. Didn't work.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
the toucan kid
CC Legend

Post by the toucan kid »

I'm almost certain he (Niedermayer) was asked about this years later and gave a politically correct answer but said he was never close to coming here.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Rumsfeld wrote:
SKYO wrote:Wasn't it Burke who had deftly re-signed his bro Rob (who then probably convinced Scott to sign there *breakin the rules*) you ain't trying if you ain't cheatin'.
I tried to explain that philosophy to my wife at her Christmas party last year. Didn't work.
lol playa fo' life
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Six big-name players most likely to be traded this season
http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/rumor ... Wk.twitter
Media speculation suggests the Jets, Oilers, Flames and Wild as the likely trade partners, though Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman also believes the Anaheim Ducks could get involved. Snow reportedly seeks a comparable blueliner in return. Those clubs all have considerable defensive depth.

Snow’s asking price, however, makes a deal difficult to do right now. The Oilers reportedly won’t part with Darnell Nurse or Oscar Klefbom. The Calgary Sun’s Eric Francis claims the Flames won’t part with T.J. Brodie or Dougie Hamilton.

Jets blueliners Dustin Byfuglien, Jacob Trouba and Tyler Myers are frequently mentioned as trade candidates. Snow could also have interest in promising Wild blueliner Matt Dumba.
Heard Fowler/Cogs could be avail as well, all these moving parts wonder if JB tries to get in the complicated mix.

Wasn't JB after Myers at the first JB draft.