Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15-16

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Re: Trades and rumours (& fantasies) 2014-15

Post by Aaronp18 »

SKYO wrote: True, but I think thanks to the cap - some of those guys will go to a team that can give em huge raises that have the cap space.
We've a few lackluster UFA offseasons now, need a good one sooner or later!
Who on that list would you give a huge raise to to play for the Canucks though?
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Aaronp18 wrote:
SKYO wrote: True, but I think thanks to the cap - some of those guys will go to a team that can give em huge raises that have the cap space.
With Hamhuis/Bieksa $ gone, I'd replace em/overpay for Giordano or Seabrook.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

SKYO wrote:
A very reasonable possibility
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:NHL 2016 UFA season could be one of the best in recent history!

I'm assuming Kopitar, Voracek, Stamkos re-sign.

Giordano, E. Staal, O'Reilly, Lucic, Yandle, Byfuglien, Kesler, Backes, Hamhuis/Juice(yeahyeah), Seabrook, Loui Eriksson, Hudler, Erik Johnson, Okposo, Nieslen, Vrbata, Plekanec, Ladd, Anisimov.

Bunch of decent bottom six guys, can steal Kris Russell.

Goalies: Hiller/Lack/Ward/Talbot.
The only guys on that list that are looking at getting a raise are Giordano, Seabrook, Okposo, Nielsen, and possibly Kesler.

Kopitar and Stamkos won't get massive raises. Kopitar's numbers don't bear up, he's a good player, but not a point-per-game guy, and he disappears for long stretches. His saving grace is that he can be a beast in the post-season, he'll probably get anywhere from $500K to $1M increase. Stamkos is already making big coin, his cap hit is $7.5M, but his numbers have taken a noticeable step back since St. Louis departed for the Big Apple. I expect he gets a raise, but it won't take him above $8.5M unless he gets back up to a 50 goal/85 point pace again.

Philly will give Voracek a raise if he repeats this season's performance, if he doesn't than his increase will be marginal. It is unfortunate for him that he is having this breakout year a season too soon. :P

Some may even be looking at a pay cut. Stall almost certainly has to blow people out of the water this year or take less money, he's dropped off, is a minus-51 over the past 5 seasons, and the Hurricanes have sucked. A cap hit of $8.25 M is too much for that. Hamhuis and Bieksa will both take pay cuts, Hammer might get the same but with another team. Barring a breakout season, the rest probably re-up for around the same dollars.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

SKYO wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote:

The only way Gio is worth a monster raise, is if he can play a full season and maintain his level of play. So far he plays 65 games per year. 17 games without your highest paid blueliner can be a painful thing to endure, for a team on the playoff bubble it can mean the end of your season.

Seabrook has always had Keith as a partner. He has a big shot, is physical and smart defensively, but the flow of the game runs through Keith. Over pay with caution here.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:
I think Giordano will re-sign in Calgary, but we'll see.

The Hawks may not be able to re-sign Seabrook due to the money Kane and Toews are going to be making! But what will his price-tag be? Will he be worth it when he isn't beside Keith?

Although with him the Hawks have only have 3 defenseman signed next season. They'll have to do something.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

In essence, my point is that I don't think we can rely on the UFA market to drastically improve some aspect of our team. We need to build through draft picks and developing players!

Possibly making deals for RFAs or other assets.

There aren't many key players that get to UFA status anymore.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

I can seriously see Benning re-signing Hamhuis, 2-3 year deal, similar money with a NTC. Hamhuis doesn't want to be anywhere else but he won't be raped. Bieksa, if not traded I can see them letting him walk.

Not very many on that list interest me in the give me a raise category. The ones you may covet can get an 8 year deal with their perspective clubs, thinking Stamkos here. Of the others, a number of them would be interesting but not on a raise.
The only HW the Canucks need
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Aaronp18 wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:
SKYO wrote:
I think Giordano will re-sign in Calgary, but we'll see.

The Hawks may not be able to re-sign Seabrook due to the money Kane and Toews are going to be making! But what will his price-tag be? Will he be worth it when he isn't beside Keith?

Although with him the Hawks have only have 3 defenseman signed next season. They'll have to do something.
I was kidding
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mëds wrote: The only guys on that list that are looking at getting a raise are Giordano, Seabrook, Okposo, Nielsen, and possibly Kesler.

Kopitar and Stamkos won't get massive raises. Kopitar's numbers don't bear up, he's a good player, but not a point-per-game guy, and he disappears for long stretches. His saving grace is that he can be a beast in the post-season, he'll probably get anywhere from $500K to $1M increase. Stamkos is already making big coin, his cap hit is $7.5M, but his numbers have taken a noticeable step back since St. Louis departed for the Big Apple. I expect he gets a raise, but it won't take him above $8.5M unless he gets back up to a 50 goal/85 point pace again.

Philly will give Voracek a raise if he repeats this season's performance, if he doesn't than his increase will be marginal. It is unfortunate for him that he is having this breakout year a season too soon. :P

Some may even be looking at a pay cut. Stall almost certainly has to blow people out of the water this year or take less money, he's dropped off, is a minus-51 over the past 5 seasons, and the Hurricanes have sucked. A cap hit of $8.25 M is too much for that. Hamhuis and Bieksa will both take pay cuts, Hammer might get the same but with another team. Barring a breakout season, the rest probably re-up for around the same dollars.
C'mon Mëds, with the deals being signed this days (Kane, Toews on 8 figure deals), the odds of guys like Bieksa or Hamhuis taking a pay cut are slim to nil. If any of those guys hit the market they will make BIG dollars. Kopitar will be an $8M player. Perry and Getzlaf are over $8M, so it wouldn't be nuts to see Kopitar at least match that. Stamkos will get Kane/Toews money. The Lightening will give him whatever he wants, my guess is it'll be at least an 8-year $80M deal.

Giordano will be around $8M on the open market. And if a guy like 34-year old Brooks F'n Orpik gets $5.5M per season then Bieksa could easily ask for that as well, Hamhuis would be a $6M guy. Really, we just signed Luca Sbisa for $3.6M. Hamhuis is EASILY worth 2 Sbisa's.

Free agency is never about what a player is worth, but about what any single GM is willing to pay.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Aaronp18 wrote: I think Giordano will re-sign in Calgary, but we'll see.

Giordano will re-up with Calgary. Not only has he become their leader and one of the best d-men in the league in CowTown, but they are so far under the cap they're one of the few teams that have money to burn in free agency. It would be crazy for them to let him walk.

The Hawks will find a way to re-up Seabrook. Either they'll go the Richards (1 year deal to a vet), or they'll let their youth take on bigger roles. Another option for them is to dump Sharp for cheap. He'd be on the final year of his deal at a $5.9M cap hit when Seabrook's new deal kicks in. Especially if they want Teravainen to get into a more prominent role.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: I think Giordano will re-sign in Calgary, but we'll see.

Giordano will re-up with Calgary. Not only has he become their leader and one of the best d-men in the league in CowTown, but they are so far under the cap they're one of the few teams that have money to burn in free agency. It would be crazy for them to let him walk.

The Hawks will find a way to re-up Seabrook. Either they'll go the Richards (1 year deal to a vet), or they'll let their youth take on bigger roles. Another option for them is to dump Sharp for cheap. He'd be on the final year of his deal at a $5.9M cap hit when Seabrook's new deal kicks in. Especially if they want Teravainen to get into a more prominent role.
Agreed on Giordano, he's staying in Calgary. Seabrook I'm not so sure unless he takes an under market deal. They have 13 players signed for just over $63 million in cap next year, with only 8 forwards and 3 dmen. They've got a lot of work to do to keep the status quo and I see them performing some major surgery this offseason. Brandon Saad needs a new contract and he's not going to be cheap. Getting rid of Sharp would help but his salary would essentially be replaced by Saad so they wouldn't be much ahead. 10 players with $8 million won't even allow 10 ELCs so they'll need some minimum guys.

There are a few teams that will be feeling the crunch, the Nucks among them though they aren't as bad as some.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Yep, the Hawks definitely have to get creative. But like I said I could see them moving Sharp for a draft pick, and Bryan Bickell ($4M) is another guy who could be shipped out. A more aggressive move would be to see if there's a market for Crawford ($6M). I could see a team like Edmonton being all over a goalie like that (would really depend on what Crawfords modified NTC looks like).

I think you'll see them do their best to keep Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook as their "big-4", and they're pretty much stuck with Hossa and his lifetime deal.

Speaking of lifetime deals. Hossa is 36 years old, and has 6 years left on his deal. I'd peg the odds of him finishing that contract at about 2%. Duncan Keith is also on one of these Luongo-esque contracts. Cap recapture comes into the picture pretty quick here.
If Hossa were to retire after the end of the 2016-17 season (a year in which he’ll turn 38 years old), the Hawks would be on the hook for a $4.275 million salary cap penalty for the four remaining years of Hossa’s deal. That yearly penalty would be assessed if he retired in any of the three years that follow as well, meaning that in the final four years of Hossa’s contract, the Hawks will have a lovely cap penalty hovering over his head.

If Keith retires at the age of 37, the Hawks would be on the hook for a $3.73 million penalty for two years, and if he retires the year following, the penalty would be a shade over $4 million for the 2022-23 season.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Island Nucklehead wrote:Yep, the Hawks definitely have to get creative. But like I said I could see them moving Sharp for a draft pick, and Bryan Bickell ($4M) is another guy who could be shipped out. A more aggressive move would be to see if there's a market for Crawford ($6M). I could see a team like Edmonton being all over a goalie like that (would really depend on what Crawfords modified NTC looks like).

I think you'll see them do their best to keep Kane, Toews, Keith, Seabrook as their "big-4", and they're pretty much stuck with Hossa and his lifetime deal.
What about Hjalmarsson? $4.1M cap hit, could he be replaced by something cheaper and nearly as effective?

I suspect that Sharp, Bickell, and Hjalmarsson, will be the players moved.

No way anyone takes on Crawford at $6M.....unless Chicago is sending along at least a 2nd round pick. What an albatross of a contract that is (considering the player).
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

I'd target a young top 6 center to help Horvat after the Sedins retire,
or plan B is hope McCann or Cassels can play a top 2 center spot.

Targets: Buffalo's Grigorenko, Edmonton's Draisaitl or Boston's Khokhlachev.

Both Sabres and Oilers could use Lack plus a dman.
And all three could use Kassian.

Draisaitl thanks to McDavid/RNH could be available, but he'd cost a pretty penny to acquire.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.