Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 23

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote: what a shitty way to look at things...how do you live man!?!?!

Playoffs is getting experience for the new squad, while getting stronger all round for it, the next season after this one we'll get a few of the young guys in, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Corrado, maybe Virtanen, and they'll step in with a better cohesive team that is hungry to win and has that playoff experience which I think they'll make this upcoming season.

*LOL* Well, we have gone for how long? Almost 45 years without a Stanley Cup for our franchise. All I want to see is 1 Cup for our franchise before I croak. We have been to the dance 3 times and 2 times we were oh so close, but finished just short. I think it's totally BS that stupid American expansion teams like Tampa, Anaheim and Carolina have a Cup, yet we do not. Don't get me wrong, I like our current prospects. Are they going to be good enuff to win us a Cup in the future? Honestly, not really sure. We need a few of those guys to pan out and become better than what they're projected to be that's for sure. U agree that this coming season, our team won't do much, since the next draft is supposed to be a good one, why not use it to stock pile with more and better prospects into our system? 8-)
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote: what a shitty way to look at things...how do you live man!?!?!

Playoffs is getting experience for the new squad, while getting stronger all round for it, the next season after this one we'll get a few of the young guys in, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Corrado, maybe Virtanen, and they'll step in with a better cohesive team that is hungry to win and has that playoff experience which I think they'll make this upcoming season.

*LOL* Well, we have gone for how long? Almost 45 years without a Stanley Cup for our franchise. All I want to see is 1 Cup for our franchise before I croak. We have been to the dance 3 times and 2 times we were oh so close, but finished just short. I think it's totally BS that stupid American expansion teams like Tampa, Anaheim and Carolina have a Cup, yet we do not. Don't get me wrong, I like our current prospects. Are they going to be good enuff to win us a Cup in the future? Honestly, not really sure. We need a few of those guys to pan out and become better than what they're projected to be that's for sure. U agree that this coming season, our team won't do much, since the next draft is supposed to be a good one, why not use it to stock pile with more and better prospects into our system? 8-)
No way would we out tank anyone in the league, and with the business side of things, winning is paramount, look at what one losing season did to this team - ticket sales down and season tickets down, those two points alone is why we need to start winning asap.

We got the Sedins when healthy are a top line in the league, every player who has to defend against them all comment about them being hard to defend against, they had a few down seasons with injuries and Daniel's concussion didn't help, but I'm hoping they get some luck with health again, anyways what I'm getting at is with having the Sedin's healthy and producing all they need is secondary offense, and with all the additions and young guns maybe making it, they might finally be able to get that ever elusive offense behind them.

I don't agree this upcoming season we wont do much, I actually think we'll be pretty competitive and land 6th spot in the West (book it) haha.

Why do I think we'll land 6th spot? no koolaid here, just reasonable guesstimation, we now have a deep forward group with 4 solid lines, above average top 6 defense and two goalies who can win..

With Hansen traded.

Sedins - Vrbata
Jensen - Bonino - Kassian
Higgins - Vey - Burrows
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett
Tito

Edler - Sbisa
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Stanton - Tanev
Corrado

Miller
Lack

Got a young and upcoming 2nd line right there, many young guys who could have a perfect storm of having breakout seasons in Kassian, Bonino, Vey - even Jensen (21 yrs old, 6'3", 202 lbs) could be our Toffoli/Pearson.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

SKYO wrote:[

With Hansen traded.
I dunno why everyone is so anxious to trase Hansen. :?
Or keep putting Kassian in the top 6.
Still a chance that he will be a bust
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

I dunno why everyone is so anxious to trase Hansen. :?
Or keep putting Kassian in the top 6.
Still a chance that he will be a bust[/quote]

Because Hansen in no way depicts the vision the team now has, and Kassian more than deserves to be in the top 6.
more cap space!
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

ok, the question of this thread is a lot harder to answer after watching a Connor McJesus highlight reel.
more cap space!
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

I would like to see playoff hockey next year but with CHI, SJ, ANA, COL, STL, LA as locks to make it barring catastrophic injury, while DAL and MIN have improved this offseason it will be tough to say the least.

Teams like PHX and NSH are dark horses, especially the Preds given James Neal and potentially getting Lecavalier if the rumoured deal happens.

It will be very tough to make the playoffs and I'm not expecting it. I'm assuming somewhere around 10th in the conference.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:No way would we out tank anyone in the league, and with the business side of things, winning is paramount, look at what one losing season did to this team - ticket sales down and season tickets down, those two points alone is why we need to start winning asap.
Yup, tix sales did take a hit last year, not really sure how it'll turn out this year. However, I'm willing to take a hit short term (next couple years), for the big picture. A chance to build a true contender that can win the Cup. Short term pain for long term gain. That being said, I'm not an Aquallini, so tix sales doesn't hurt my wallet. 8-)
I don't agree this upcoming season we wont do much, I actually think we'll be pretty competitive and land 6th spot in the West (book it) haha.
Yeah, I agree we have a chance for a playoff spot. I don't think we have the horses to go very far though. Just u mentioned most of our kids won't be ready till like 2 years anyways, thus it really isn't essential for us to make the playoffs next season just to give them playoff experience.
kelowna kanuck wrote:ok, the question of this thread is a lot harder to answer after watching a Connor McJesus highlight reel.
Conner McJesus! I luv it. :lol:

Honestly, just wish JB and TL and the Aquas would of been willing to tank it just for ONE year. However, the McJesus turns out, whether we get him or not. At least get a good pick in next year's draft. Then do what JB just did the last few days, clear out some salary and open up the wallet to sign some free agents. That would of been the time to build that winning culture. Right now, I think it should of been a rebuild and going with a youthful culture.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

See, this is what is wrong with the NHL! You reward people for losing!
The winner should have first pick in the draft! Not the loser! :evil:

I hate this talk about losing on purpose.
Start doing like European leagues and demote the team that ends last to the AHL.

Effing communist league! :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Per wrote:See, this is what is wrong with the NHL! You reward people for losing!
The winner should have first pick in the draft! Not the loser! :evil:

I hate this talk about losing on purpose.
Start doing like European leagues and demote the team that ends last to the AHL.

Effing communist league! :evil:
Hmmm so... you're.... saying that the tankers here are.... commies! Image
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Some want to tank but its more of just 'I want the team to do well, but if they suck in a year where the draft class is excellent, Im OK with that. People really need to stop getting their panties in a bunch when the whole tank it for McDavid chants come out. Me, I just think its a possibility that we could be in the running for a top pick again this year with how strong the western conference is and the parity amongst the have nots. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be chanting Tank it for McDavid too. We all want the team to succeed and be playoff spoilers but the reality of it is, if we make the playoffs, we are close to certainty to being first round playoff fodder if we do make it.

If you look at the teams who have won the cup recently they are well represented with high first round picks - Doughty, Kane, Toews, , Seguin, Crosby, Malkin, Stall. Near high first round picks - Seabrook, Kopitar And some very shrewd drafting - Quick, Pearson, Toffoli, Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Keith and well represented of high picks traded for Richards, Carter, Horton, Chara by trading their own high picks - Jack Johnson,
Brayden Schenn, Phil Kessel etc

The bottom line - winners are built through the draft. Not July 1st and not the trade deadline. It's proven time and time again
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote:Some want to tank but its more of just 'I want the team to do well, but if they suck in a year where the draft class is excellent, Im OK with that. People really need to stop getting their panties in a bunch when the whole tank it for McDavid chants come out. Me, I just think its a possibility that we could be in the running for a top pick again this year with how strong the western conference is and the parity amongst the have nots. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be chanting Tank it for McDavid too. We all want the team to succeed and be playoff spoilers but the reality of it is, if we make the playoffs, we are close to certainty to being first round playoff fodder if we do make it.

The bottom line - winners are built through the draft. Not July 1st and not the trade deadline. It's proven time and time again
WOW that's... exactly... the kind of sugar a commie would serve up to help the "medicine" go down!

"LOSING = WINNING" :scowl:

You may be onto something here Per.....
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

RoyalDude wrote:Some want to tank but its more of just 'I want the team to do well, but if they suck in a year where the draft class is excellent, Im OK with that. People really need to stop getting their panties in a bunch when the whole tank it for McDavid chants come out. Me, I just think its a possibility that we could be in the running for a top pick again this year with how strong the western conference is and the parity amongst the have nots. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be chanting Tank it for McDavid too. We all want the team to succeed and be playoff spoilers but the reality of it is, if we make the playoffs, we are close to certainty to being first round playoff fodder if we do make it.

If you look at the teams who have won the cup recently they are well represented with high first round picks - Doughty, Kane, Toews, , Seguin, Crosby, Malkin, Stall. Near high first round picks - Seabrook, Kopitar And some very shrewd drafting - Quick, Pearson, Toffoli, Krejci, Lucic, Bergeron, Marchand, Keith and well represented of high picks traded for Richards, Carter, Horton, Chara by trading their own high picks - Jack Johnson,
Brayden Schenn, Phil Kessel etc

Great post, dude. But Chara WAS a 29-year old Free Agent signing by the Bruins. Otherwise, agree completely.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
SKYO wrote:No way would we out tank anyone in the league, and with the business side of things, winning is paramount, look at what one losing season did to this team - ticket sales down and season tickets down, those two points alone is why we need to start winning asap.
Yup, tix sales did take a hit last year, not really sure how it'll turn out this year. However, I'm willing to take a hit short term (next couple years), for the big picture. A chance to build a true contender that can win the Cup. Short term pain for long term gain. That being said, I'm not an Aquallini, so tix sales doesn't hurt my wallet. 8-)
Yeah, I agree we have a chance for a playoff spot. I don't think we have the horses to go very far though. Just u mentioned most of our kids won't be ready till like 2 years anyways, thus it really isn't essential for us to make the playoffs next season just to give them playoff experience.
kelowna kanuck wrote:ok, the question of this thread is a lot harder to answer after watching a Connor McJesus highlight reel.
Conner McJesus! I luv it. :lol:

Honestly, just wish JB and TL and the Aquas would of been willing to tank it just for ONE year. However, the McJesus turns out, whether we get him or not. At least get a good pick in next year's draft. Then do what JB just did the last few days, clear out some salary and open up the wallet to sign some free agents. That would of been the time to build that winning culture. Right now, I think it should of been a rebuild and going with a youthful culture.
would have, should have, could have,
NOT

would of, should of, could of

This is one of those errors typically made by a person more familiar with the spoken than the written form of English. A sentence like “I would have gone if anyone had given me free tickets” is normally spoken in a slurred way so that the two words “would have” are not distinctly separated, but blended together into what is properly rendered “would’ve.” Seeing that “V” tips you off right away that “would’ve” is a contraction of “would have.” But many people hear “would of” and that’s how they write it. Wrong.

Note that “must of” is similarly an error for “must have.”
You're driving me nuts... :evil:
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: would have, should have, could have,
NOT

would of, should of, could of

This is one of those errors typically made by a person more familiar with the spoken than the written form of English. A sentence like “I would have gone if anyone had given me free tickets” is normally spoken in a slurred way so that the two words “would have” are not distinctly separated, but blended together into what is properly rendered “would’ve.” Seeing that “V” tips you off right away that “would’ve” is a contraction of “would have.” But many people hear “would of” and that’s how they write it. Wrong.

Note that “must of” is similarly an error for “must have.”
You're driving me nuts... :evil:
That one, and: "I want the Canucks to loose the game".....

:roll:

I really don't understand how people can have such a poor grasp on their own spoken, and written, language.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote: Honestly, just wish JB and TL and the Aquas would of been willing to tank it just for ONE year. However, the McJesus turns out, whether we get him or not. At least get a good pick in next year's draft. Then do what JB just did the last few days, clear out some salary and open up the wallet to sign some free agents. That would of been the time to build that winning culture. Right now, I think it should of been a rebuild and going with a youthful culture.
Winning, stay winning, add to a winning core, hope your scouts do their job and bring along good talent = no calgary, edmonton, carolina fiasco's.

If your planning on tanking for one year, it's a 2-3 year process of ridding yourself of all your vet's who all have term contracts...so please get rid of that thought process like it's so easy to tank for ONE season...

People scared of the team of making the playoffs and getting slaughtered, so you want to suck even further with getting shitty players in, need to give your head a shake, this team when healthy was coming off back to back President trophy winning season's a cup final and MG fucked it all up and dropped a nuke on it with Torts, now JB/TL/LG are here to clear out crap and rebuild fast on the fly, and they're doing a damn fine job of it imo.

This is a winning and make money business, start losing it brings a long a lot of shit with it, players wanting out, not being an ideal place to attract key free agents, your star young players become used to that losing culture, it's not as easy as Pittsburgh and the Blackhawks make it seem with having some losing seasons and draft SUPERSTARS easypeasy.

So instead of having luck/fate drop in your laps, your management team has to work hard to find gems of players, make shrewd trades, draft well even if it is not a top 10 pick, you can still land top tier players who can help your team win a Cup after the top 10 picks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.