Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15?

Yes
65%
No
35%

Total votes: 23

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Do you want the Canucks' to make the Playoffs in 2014/15

Post by Hockey Widow »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: It think it's closer than we all think. Buffalo and Florida added a lot of UFA's and vets yesterday. Calgary and Edmonton are attempting to ice a better product as well. Winnipeg, Arizona, Ottawa, Carolina, Islanders, Nashville, Toronto are all on par with us. I think our chances are as good as any other team at winning the McDavid/Eichel/Barzal/Hanifin sweepstakes. To be honest, I'd be happy drafting that swede stud defenseman - Kylington or Strome's brother or Horvats cousin - Konechny
Well there's 7 guys right there... I'd say we're in a pretty good position to make you happy for a change, Dude.

Dude's been a pretty happy guy lately. Who knew canning MG would have this effect :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

HockeyGeek wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
HockeyGeek wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Finishing 9 through 11 would suck balls.
Iginla - 11th overall
Hamilton - 9th overall
Mezaros - 23rd overall
Paille - 20th overall
Caron - 25th overall
Rask - 21st overall

Those are all the players on the Bruins roster from last season that were selected in the first round. Only 2 of which were actually selected by Boston(Hamilton, and Caron). The other 4 were acquired either through trades or free agency. That means that on the entire Bruins roster, the highest selected player is Dougie Hamilton at 9th overall. Selecting 9th to 11th certainly wouldn't suck balls. *Sorry, meant finishing 9th to 11th not selecting
We need a franchise player.

This is the draft to get one.

The chances of securing that player go way down when you get outside the top 5.

If you're going to miss, miss big. Especially this year. That's my point.

And the Bruins are built differently than any other team in the league. Depth depth depth and a fucking mean streak.

They also have a guy named Chara, who is a franchise defenseman and their MVP.
The reason why I keep pointing to the Bruins is because of our new GM. From all reports he was rather instrumental in the shaping of that team. Him and Linden have been preaching depth. Rolling 4 lines. It stands to reason that the Canucks are trying a similar approach to what's been done in Boston.

I do agree with you that we need a franchise player to be the face of the franchise in the next few years. But who's to say that player isn't already here or won't be found in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round next year or the year after? Or even via trade or free agent signing?

Getting back to the Bruins, they have several franchise players. I would argue they would be Bergeron, Chara, Krejci and Lucic. None of them were first rounders. Chara, whom you're so high on, was drafted in the 3rd round and played on 2 teams before moving to Boston. Boston didn't even trade for him. They signed him as a free agent.

I also don't think people realize you can't just turn the winning on and off like a tap. The NHL is littered with franchises that lost big, drafted highly touted players, and couldn't change their losing culture. I want that franchise player but tanking is not the way to get it.
Krejci and Lucic are not franchise players.

Aquiring a franchise player via trade or free agency is difficult and expensive. You have to gut your team to get one via trade and you have to break the bank to get one via free agency. You usually get them on the back end of their careers.

Horvat, Virtanen and Shinkaruk all have potential to be great players but it's unlikely they'll be elite. Even if they are we need another great draft with a sure-fire home run all-star forward.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Okay, just looking at where the situation stands it looks like the Canucks' are going to make a push to make the Playoffs with two key signings (nearing their mid 30s).

With that in mind, what do you think the chances of the Canucks to be one of the eight in the tough WC?

I say it's reasonable to project that there are about four locks to make the Playoffs: Ducks, Kings, Blackhawks and Blue.

Then there's a group of four that are in the mix: Sharks, Wild, Avs and Stars (teams that made it to Playoffs last season) but could be vulnerable to a team like the Canucks to displace one or more of them. But honestly, on paper do you think the Canucks are better than any of them? But it's stil touch and go.

They still need to acquire one more top-6 offensive talent, preferably at C.

Would ya?

Consider trading Horvat and or 2015 1st Round Pick (potential huge risk here) as the main piece for a top 6C that's 25 or under. Say for example, The Cody from the Sabres?

I think I would. Now you'd ask, why would the Sabres' want to do that. Well, look at the path they're heading. They are literally want to guarantee either a McDavid or Eichel. To do that they have to finish with the worst record (even if they lose lottery, they can only drop one spot next season).

Say they go for Horvat. Their Centre depth: 1C McDavid/Eichel, 2C The Son of Paul, 3C Horvat.

Horvat, long term fits their structure better than The Cody as he'll be competing with The Son of Paul for a 2C role, plus having The Cody on their roster gives them a slight chance that they might not finish with the worst record overall ....... with teams like the Desert Dogs not looking to great right now.

But, if they go for the 2015 1st Round Pick Option, and the Canucks' missed the Playoffs, they have a shot of drafting BOTH McDavid/Eichel and if that happens, their GM will be considered a "generational executive" and Canucks' fan will be hurling for, uh, just the next couple of decades. :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Seems like a great deal for Buffalo. Imagine them potentially having three lottery picks in 2015 (and trading possession boat anchor Cody might actually increase those odds)?

Not sure why the Canucks would even consider it though.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:Seems like a great deal for Buffalo. Imagine them potentially having three lottery picks in 2015 (and trading possession boat anchor Cody might actually increase those odds)?

It's only a potential "great" deal for the Sabres if the Canucks miss the Playoffs.

If Linden and Benning have balls the size of watermelons and are so bullish on the Canucks making the Playoffs it's "only" the 15th to 30th pick (LOL) .... overall!!! :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Betamax wrote:
dbr wrote:Seems like a great deal for Buffalo. Imagine them potentially having three lottery picks in 2015 (and trading possession boat anchor Cody might actually increase those odds)?

It's only a potential "great" deal for the Sabres if the Canucks miss the Playoffs.

If Linden and Benning have balls the size of watermelons and are so bullish on the Canucks making the Playoffs it's "only" the 15th to 30th pick (LOL) .... overall!!! :mex:
They seemed to place pretty high value on the 24th overall pick in a weaker draft.

Anyway I'm sure you don't actually think this is advisable so not much point discussing.. right?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:
Betamax wrote:

They seemed to place pretty high value on the 24th overall pick in a weaker draft.

Anyway I'm sure you don't actually think this is advisable so not much point discussing.. right?
Well, what they would be acquiring in Cody is an under 25 year old RHS, 2C. They don't have anyone in their system that matches that profile.

Your other "super stats guy" @mc79hockey says .... "[Vrbata] Really good signing for Vancouver. Wouldn’t stun me if they had home ice in the first round next year."

I'd figure if the Canucks' did acquire another TOP6 talent without losing significant roster player from last season i.e. Tanev or Kassian, I like their chances of making the Playoffs. Better than a coin flip.

So, essentially if they do make the trade, they are putting faith in the team they assembled would make it. On paper, at worst they would finish with between 10-14 if they miss the Playoffs with that line-up. So there's a small chance they lose out on a "generational" talent but would likely lose out on a prospect that is of similar quality to what a Cody was when he was drafted. :mex:
HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek »

Rumsfeld wrote: Krejci and Lucic are not franchise players.
That's debatable. On the Bruins maybe not due to their amazing depth, but on many other teams they would be.
Rumsfeld wrote: Acquiring a franchise player via trade or free agency is difficult and expensive. You have to gut your team to get one via trade and you have to break the bank to get one via free agency. You usually get them on the back end of their careers.
Trading is difficult and expensive, I'll give you that. But I'm certainly not propagating that idea. But breaking the bank during free agency? Who cares if it's a franchise player?!? You get what you pay for and if by some miracle a franchise player is available and is a good fit with your team you write a cheque and be done with it. Otherwise try and pick up the best player you can at the draft table.

Enough with this asinine view that the Canucks need 1 thing and there's only 1 way to get it. What happens if you tank and don't get the top pick or anywhere near it? Or what if you do get the 1st overall pick and do have the fortune of drafting the second coming...and he doesn't pan out? Or he buys a motorcycle on a windy day? Or you just aren't able to give your team any form of depth to surround your 1 awesome player. Your team is now completely screwed not just for the coming season but for years to come. You've now gone from losing on purpose to being the Oilers.
Rumsfeld wrote: Horvat, Virtanen and Shinkaruk all have potential to be great players but it's unlikely they'll be elite.
No more unlikely than Perry or Getzlaf.
Rumsfeld wrote:Even if they are we need another great draft with a sure-fire home run all-star forward.
No such thing. Never has been never will be. Just ask Daigle and Stefan.

I think it's time to accept that the Canucks are not going in the ridiculous direction of tanking. If they lose big it will be because of underachieving and injuries. It will not be because of deliberate actions. Honestly I don't think I could follow a team that loses deliberately. Once sportsmanship is thrown out the window what's the fucking point?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

HockeyGeek wrote: You've now gone from losing on purpose to being the Oilers.
You've gone FULL REBUILD. 8-)
HockeyGeek wrote: Honestly I don't think I could follow a team that loses deliberately. Once sportsmanship is thrown out the window what's the fucking point?
Yup.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

HockeyGeek wrote: Once sportsmanship is thrown out the window what's the fucking point?
Connor McDavid is the point. The problem with the Oilers is that they picked the wrong years to stink. If there is a year to stink, season 2014/15 is the one. Yeah baby!
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

HockeyGeek wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:Even if they are we need another great draft with a sure-fire home run all-star forward.
No such thing. Never has been never will be. Just ask Daigle and Stefan.
Wikipedia wrote:The 1999 NHL Entry Draft was held on June 26 at the FleetCenter in Boston, Massachusetts. According to Sports Illustrated and other sports news agencies, at the time the 1999 draft was considered one of the deepest in talent in years, headed by Patrik Stefan and the Sedin twins.
Hard to imagine that the '99 draft class was touted to be the best in years. You just never know when it comes to drafting 18 year olds.
HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek »

RoyalDude wrote: Connor McDavid is the point. The problem with the Oilers is that they picked the wrong years to stink. If there is a year to stink, season 2014/15 is the one. Yeah baby!
Oh I certainly get it. He's really damn good and could be a franchise generational talent. Or he could get the acting bug and blow off hockey entirely to hang out with Pamela Anderson. I just really don't like putting all my eggs in one basket...unless I'm shopping...then why the fuck wouldn't you put them all in one basket?
HockeyGeek
CC Rookie

Post by HockeyGeek »

ESQ wrote: Hard to imagine that the '99 draft class was touted to be the best in years. You just never know when it comes to drafting 18 year olds.
It's like trying to hit a puppy by throwing a live bee at it.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Betamax wrote:My own personal opinion is that it's in the Canucks best long-term interest to not make the Playoffs, so I wouldn't go after the likes of Miller, Iggy et al... for a shot of what the Canucks have never had, a generational talent that would set the franchise for the next decade or longer.
nuckster wrote:My 2 cents:
- If it's true that Benning wants to see us become a playoff team right away, then I think it's unfortunate. Yeah we acquired a few decent draft picks, and the cupboard is becoming better stocked. BUT, there is no high end talent in that cupboard (bonafied first line material).
Rumsfeld wrote: We need a franchise player.

This is the draft to get one.

The chances of securing that player go way down when you get outside the top 5.

If you're going to miss, miss big. Especially this year. That's my point.

I agree with u guys. I would of luved to tank it this coming season, but it's too late and not going to happen. The damage is done as JB spent like 28 million on a couple of veteran players and he picked up 2 decent roster players in the Kesler trade. We're going to fight for a playoff spot and probably be a middle of the pack team again. :(
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I agree with u guys. I would of luved to tank it this coming season, but it's too late and not going to happen. The damage is done as JB spent like 28 million on a couple of veteran players and he picked up 2 decent roster players in the Kesler trade. We're going to fight for a playoff spot and probably be a middle of the pack team again. :(
what a shitty way to look at things...how do you live man!?!?!

Playoffs is getting experience for the new squad, while getting stronger all round for it, the next season after this one we'll get a few of the young guys in, Horvat, Jensen, Shinkaruk, Hutton, Corrado, maybe Virtanen, and they'll step in with a better cohesive team that is hungry to win and has that playoff experience which I think they'll make this upcoming season.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.