Canucks second line - 2014-2015?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks second line - 2014-2015?

Post by mathonwy »

Tciso wrote:
herb wrote: If the PP rebounds like it should, those numbers could be a bit conservative. Bonino and Vrbata were good powerplay producers last year, and as noted Edler should rebound. Guys like Tanev, Stanton and Sbisa have lots of room to grow too.
Hard not to see the power play get better. For starters, let's not set up on the off-side of the ice, attempt passes through the defended areas, and attempt off-hand one-timers as our standard power play. Torts et.al. were very "special" on the special teams coaching.
Hard not to see? I don't see the PP getting better. We lost our point shot and we still don't have a PPQB.

:?
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

JelloPuddingPop wrote:
Tciso wrote:Torts et.al. were very "special" on the special teams coaching.
Doesn't "et.al." include Gulutzan, who from my memory ran that power play?
It seemed to me like Torts and his bff Sullivan ran everything and Gulutzan just stood around with his arms crossed.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:
Tciso wrote:
herb wrote: If the PP rebounds like it should, those numbers could be a bit conservative. Bonino and Vrbata were good powerplay producers last year, and as noted Edler should rebound. Guys like Tanev, Stanton and Sbisa have lots of room to grow too.
Hard not to see the power play get better. For starters, let's not set up on the off-side of the ice, attempt passes through the defended areas, and attempt off-hand one-timers as our standard power play. Torts et.al. were very "special" on the special teams coaching.
Hard not to see? I don't see the PP getting better. We lost our point shot and we still don't have a PPQB.

Nick Bonino - 7 PPG 13 PPA in 2013/14
Radim Vrbata - 10 PPG 11 PPA in 2013/14

Vrbata plays the point on the powerplay and has a very good shot. Edler will be much better. Weber has a more accurate shot than Garrison. Maybe Kassian will get some PP time. :shock:
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:
Nick Bonino - 7 PPG 13 PPA in 2013/14

Vrbata plays the point on the powerplay and has a very good shot. Edler will be much better. Weber has a more accurate shot than Garrison. Maybe Kassian will get some PP time. :shock:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

mathonwy wrote:Hard not to see? I don't see the PP getting better. We lost our point shot and we still don't have a PPQB.

Garrison has a cannon but rarely hits the net with it, he only had 3 more shots than Edler, in 18 more games. He and Edler both scored 7 goals. They each had 4 PPG.
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
mathonwy wrote:Hard not to see? I don't see the PP getting better. We lost our point shot and we still don't have a PPQB.

Garrison has a cannon but rarely hits the net with it, he only had 3 more shots than Edler, in 18 more games. He and Edler both scored 7 goals. They each had 4 PPG.
I'd like to see BXA get more PP time. it's dropped a lot since 08/09, and while not a PP stud, he is good at it.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

mathonwy wrote:Image
Edler had a bad season. He also had a lot of bad luck.

The Canucks shot 3.6% when Edler was on the ice and the team's save percentage was just .916. Overall, the Canucks shot 7.3% and had a save percentage of .922.

Edler also played a lot of minutes with Jason Garrison, who really struggled on the right side.

Maybe Edler magically morphed into a terrible player last season. Maybe this player, who has been a steady defenseman and a reliable point producer for 7 years, just had a shitty year (like the rest of the team).

For my money, Alex Edler's season was really a microcosm of the Canucks' season - a shit show.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

herb wrote:
For my money, Alex Edler's season was really a microcosm of the Canucks' season - a shit show.
Herb, I'm not talking about the 2013/14 season. I'm talking about the 2011/12 post season.

Alex Edler almost singlehandedly lost that playoff series for us (Alex, our swiss cheese PK and Duncan Keith).

Alex has never looked like the player he was in the 10/11 season. The older Alex got, the worse at defense he became until last season, he was almost unrecognizable.

I want to believe that the confident smooth skating swedish hitting machine we all saw in 2011 is still in that 29 year old body. Buuuuuut... I'm not holding my breath like I am for the Sedins and Burr.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

herb wrote: Nick Bonino - 7 PPG 13 PPA in 2013/14

I just posted in the other lines thread that Vrbata played the point on the powerplay early in his career.

Did he do that some in the desert as well? :drink:

Also, Bonino was used on the point in Anaheim.

And agreed, hopefully Kassian will get more PP time moving forward.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Zamboni Driver
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Zamboni Driver »

kelowna kanuck wrote: Kassian should be, and deserves to be on line #2. not a doubt about that.
Nobody "deserves" to be on the second line, unless they earn it. :?
If Kassian is inconsistent or looks disinterested, he needs to be dropped down the lineup.
Aaronp18 wrote:While Benning has said he's done with UFAs there is no way he is done moving players around.

I hope he brings all these players to camp and if all goes well both Higgins and Hansen lose their spots because Horvat and Jensen earn theirs! Jettison Higgins to the Islanders and Hansen to Peg for prospects or picks. Also rids us of two more NTCs.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata
Jensen-Bonino-Kassian
Horvat-Vey-Burrows
Matthias-Richardson-Dorsett
Sestito, Archibald

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Bieksa
Stanton-Sbisa
Weber

Miller
Lack

We know what we are going to get with Higgins and Hansen, I want to see what Jensen and Horvat can do. Let them learn the NHL game. There's going to be growing pains for sure but I can live with them this year!
You are assuming that they would even want to waive their NTCs to go to the Peg or some other crappy team?
And when top 6 players get injured we'd rather see Archibald in the lineup instead of Higgins/Hansen? :?
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
kelowna kanuck wrote: Kassian should be, and deserves to be on line #2. not a doubt about that.
Nobody "deserves" to be on the second line, unless they earn it. :?
If Kassian is inconsistent or looks disinterested, he needs to be dropped down the lineup.

You are stating the obvious here. Of course if someone doesn't deserve or perform they should not be on the top 2 lines. However, based on his improved play and how he finished last year. he does DESERVE to start on line 2. HIs merits will determine whether he stays or not.
And, btw, that should go with everyone. Way too often last year we saw Torts inability to assess who was going, and who wasnt.
more cap space!
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Zamboni Driver wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: I hope he brings all these players to camp and if all goes well both Higgins and Hansen lose their spots because Horvat and Jensen earn theirs! Jettison Higgins to the Islanders and Hansen to Peg for prospects or picks. Also rids us of two more NTCs.
You are assuming that they would even want to waive their NTCs to go to the Peg or some other crappy team?
And when top 6 players get injured we'd rather see Archibald in the lineup instead of Higgins/Hansen? :?
He's assuming they'd want to live closer to their off-season homes (Hansen - Peg, Higgins - Long Island).

Also, we'll have better players than Archibald available as callups next season.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Strangelove wrote:
Zamboni Driver wrote: You are assuming that they would even want to waive their NTCs to go to the Peg or some other crappy team?
He's assuming they'd want to live closer to their off-season homes (Hansen - Peg, Higgins - Long Island).

Also, we'll have better players than Archibald available as callups next season.
This, yes. Hansen's wife is from the Peg and he would be more than happy to go back and Higgins would probably be more than happy to head closer to home. They also don't have full NTCs IIRC so they can be moved.

Also, I chose Archibald as the 14th forward for no real reason other than to give him a shot to play on the 4th. What I assume is that if/when a top 6 forward gets injured someone from the roster moves up (Matthias) and we fill 4th line spots with callups.

Unless of course someone is playing well enough on the farm to warrant a callup. Besides do you really want top 6 talent as the 13/14 forward sitting in the pressbox or would you rather have them getting top 6 ice-time in Utica?

:thumbs:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Trade for 21 yr old 6'3 220lb Ryan Johansen - sign him to a 8 year $6.5M per contract, he becomes defacto #1 center bumping the Sedins down to our new powerhouse 2nd line.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.