Do you want the Canucks to pursue Tyler Myers in a trade?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Do you want the Canucks to pursue Tyler Myers in a trade?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 19

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Do you want the Canucks to pursue Tyler Myers in a trade

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Tanev would have to be part of the package going the other way imesho.

Too bad my ole pal GM is gone, the guy is in love with Myers. :hmmm:
That's a real possibility. Since Tanev will likely have an AAV likely over 4M when his new contract is signed and the scuttlebutt is that he's not going to give the Canucks' any sort of home team discount given his previous contract negotiations with the club. The guy went to RIT so he's played at the state of New York. :mex:
via: https://twitter.com/imacVanSun/status/4 ... 9049950209
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun

Canucks/Tanev is challenging negotiation. Player's value not reflected by main stats, so don't expect arbitration to settle it.

1:54 PM - 30 Jun 2014
I'm not that keen on moving a Tanev in a Myers package but the Canucks' don't exactly have that many roster players that would be desirable to the Sabres. He's one of the few. Maybe a Hansen or Higgins. Even though the Sabres are going to tank it, they still need to get to the cap floor and need AAV coming back there way. :mex:
So, if Tanev signs a so-called "bridge" deal ...... it will likely be under 3M. As botchford pointed out, he could be somewhat comparable to a Alzner who signed long-term for 2.8M AAV .... although I think Tanev has more offensive upside and will likely end up with a higher AAV if he did sign long-term. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

McGuire was on TEAM Radio this afternoon and re-iterated his thoughts that he feels Myers is still being shopped and Canucks are probably still interested.

via: https://twitter.com/NicholsOnHockey/sta ... 2687221760
Chris Nichols ‏@NicholsOnHockey

McGuire: I talked to an NHL GM two days ago who had "significant interest" in Tyler Myers. Wasn't sure if #Sabres were asking right price.

12:59 PM - 4 Jul 2014
The report at the draft was the Canucks offered the 24th pick as part of a package for Myers. Now that the Canucks have made a couple of big UFA signings, they will likely have to move back some AAV from roster player(s) as part of the package or in a separate deal if they want to absorb Myers' 5.5M AAV. :mex:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

You could move Markstrom as part of the package, plus Tanev and that should give us barely enough wiggle room. Gonna be hard to convince players with NTC to go there so that leaves the likes of Matthias, Sestito, Richards, not counting players Benning acquired, plus our 1 in 2016. And add a good prospect.

So:

Tanev
Markstrom
Pick 1st 2016
Prospect
Cap dump x1
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:You could move Markstrom as part of the package, plus Tanev and that should give us barely enough wiggle room. Gonna be hard to convince players with NTC to go there so that leaves the likes of Matthias, Sestito, Richards, not counting players Benning acquired, plus our 1 in 2016. And add a good prospect.

So:

Tanev
Markstrom
Pick 1st 2016
Prospect
Cap dump x1
With Buffalo, you don't really have to since they finished with the worst record last season. Benning can say to said players i.e. a Hansen or Higgnes, "waive your NTC" or we will put you on waivers and the Sabres will claim you. :mex:

Only players with NMC's can't be involuntarily put on waivers i.e. Sedins. 8-)
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Betamax wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:You could move Markstrom as part of the package, plus Tanev and that should give us barely enough wiggle room. Gonna be hard to convince players with NTC to go there so that leaves the likes of Matthias, Sestito, Richards, not counting players Benning acquired, plus our 1 in 2016. And add a good prospect.

So:

Tanev
Markstrom
Pick 1st 2016
Prospect
Cap dump x1
With Buffalo, you don't really have to since they finished with the worst record last season. Benning can say to said players i.e. a Hansen or Higgnes, "waive your NTC" or we will put you on waivers and the Sabres will claim you. :mex:

I didn't think of that. Sneaky way to do it but ya, if Buffalo was on board then absolutely that could work. Of course our cap dump be to someone else too. Tanev, a first and a good prospect plus Markstrom should be enough.
The only HW the Canucks need
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Betamax wrote:

So:

Tanev
Markstrom
Pick 1st 2016
Prospect
Cap dump x1

I didn't think of that. Sneaky way to do it but ya, if Buffalo was on board then absolutely that could work.
Tampa (under "clown" management) in 2008 tried to get Boyle to waive his NTC to free themselves out of the contract that he signed there just under 1/2 year ago, he resisted and Management said to him, if he didn't they'd just waive him and a bottom feeder would have likely claimed him. Thus they were able to move him and the contract.

Backstory via: http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_d ... nhl,255400

8-)
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

I'm not sure why the Sabres would be jazzed about 'trading for' a guy who is moved onto their roster via loophole since he won't go voluntarily...
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:I'm not sure why the Sabres would be jazzed about 'trading for' a guy who is moved onto their roster via loophole since he won't go voluntarily...
Well, a lot of players without NTCs are traded "involuntarily" ... if it's allowed in the CBA, they are obliged to honour the conditions of the CBA and their individual contract if they want to collect their pay and, uh, be a professional. :mex:
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Is there an example of a player who was coerced into waiving for the worst team in the league because the alternative was BEING waived?

The Boyle example was the behaviour of a laughingstock franchise as you mentioned, Boyle was a fairly marketable asset at that point and went to a better team.

Forcing a player onto the worst team in the league against their will would be unprecedented, and as I said hardly desirable for Buffalo - particularly given we're likely talking about a two-way veteran forward with limited upside nearing or past age 30..
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

dbr wrote:Is there an example of a player who was coerced into waiving for the worst team in the league because the alternative was BEING waived?

The Boyle example was the behaviour of a laughingstock franchise as you mentioned, Boyle was a fairly marketable asset at that point and went to a better team.

Forcing a player onto the worst team in the league against their will would be unprecedented, and as I said hardly desirable for Buffalo - particularly given we're likely talking about a two-way veteran forward with limited upside nearing or past age 30..
dave, when a player without a NTC is traded, they are "forced" to move to to the new team if they want to collect the pay that's in their contract.

AFAIK, putting a player on waivers for the reasons I described previously is not against the rules of the CBA. If you have evidence to suggest otherwise, please present it via documented links.

Similarly, a player is "forced" to play for the team that drafts them, most typically, if they want to be part of the NHL. Lindros is the only example that comes to my mind that had the leverage to "force" a trade from his drafted team to a more desirable team in his opinion. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:Tanev would have to be part of the package going the other way imesho.

Too bad my ole pal GM is gone, the guy is in love with Myers. :hmmm:
That's a real possibility. Since Tanev will likely have an AAV likely over 4M when his new contract is signed and the scuttlebutt is that he's not going to give the Canucks' any sort of home team discount given his previous contract negotiations with the club. The guy went to RIT so he's played at the state of New York. :mex:
via: https://twitter.com/imacVanSun/status/4 ... 9049950209
Iain MacIntyre ‏@imacVanSun

Canucks/Tanev is challenging negotiation. Player's value not reflected by main stats, so don't expect arbitration to settle it.

1:54 PM - 30 Jun 2014
I'm not that keen on moving a Tanev in a Myers package but the Canucks' don't exactly have that many roster players that would be desirable to the Sabres. He's one of the few. Maybe a Hansen or Higgins. Even though the Sabres are going to tank it, they still need to get to the cap floor and need AAV coming back there way. :mex:
So, if Tanev signs a so-called "bridge" deal ...... it will likely be under 3M. As botchford pointed out, he could be somewhat comparable to a Alzner who signed long-term for 2.8M AAV .... although I think Tanev has more offensive upside and will likely end up with a higher AAV if he did sign long-term. :mex:
via: https://twitter.com/sportsnetmurph/stat ... 4276290560
Dan Murphy Verified account @sportsnetmurph

#canucks and Chris Tanev putting final touches on a 1-year deal. Should be signed in advance of 2pm PST arbitration filing deadline today.

8:57 AM - 5 Jul 2014
IMO, from a Canucks point of view, it's probably a good move from a cap perspective to have another short term contract since it will save AAV for this season ...... with the cap projected to go up by 5-6M next season and then you negotiate a long-term deal with Tanev (if he isn't traded) with AAV becoming less of an issue. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote:

#canucks and Chris Tanev putting final touches on a 1-year deal. Should be signed in advance of 2pm PST arbitration filing deadline today.

IMO, from a Canucks point of view, it's probably a good move from a cap perspective to have another short term contract since it will save AAV for this season ...... with the cap projected to go up by 5-6M next season and then you negotiate a long-term deal with Tanev (if he isn't traded) with AAV becoming less of an issue. :mex:
Should still be an RFA after that deal also, as he hasn't played 7 NHL seasons and will be under 27 years of age. Not sure why Tanev thinks so highly of himself, maybe he plans on really breaking out this season or he's bought into the media hype in this town. But I can't see the Canucks feeling he's worth more than $3.5M on a 1-year deal.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Should still be an RFA after that deal also, as he hasn't played 7 NHL seasons and will be under 27 years of age. Not sure why Tanev thinks so highly of himself, maybe he plans on really breaking out this season or he's bought into the media hype in this town. But I can't see the Canucks feeling he's worth more than $3.5M on a 1-year deal.
I don't think it's just Tanev ... a lot of hockey people and his last coach, Torts (lol) thought very "highly" of him.

If you project where the cap is headed and how inferior defenceman like Orpik are getting 5.5M AAV as UFA, it's not that hard to suggest that Tanev is going to get north of 4M+ on a long term deal that includes UFA years. Orpick's 5.5M AAV, makes Myer's AAV look good. LOL. :mex:
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: If you project where the cap is headed and how inferior defenceman like Orpik are getting 5.5M AAV as UFA, it's not that hard to suggest that Tanev is going to get north of 4M+ on a long term deal that includes UFA years. Orpick's 5.5M AAV, makes Myer's AAV look good. LOL. :mex:
You do know the difference between RFA and UFA, right?
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: If you project where the cap is headed and how inferior defenceman like Orpik are getting 5.5M AAV as UFA, it's not that hard to suggest that Tanev is going to get north of 4M+ on a long term deal that includes UFA years. Orpick's 5.5M AAV, makes Myer's AAV look good. LOL. :mex:
You do know the difference between RFA and UFA, right?
Uh, you do know if you sign a player that is an RFA with a long-term contract extension includes years that would have been his UFA years, that bumps the AAV, right? :mex: