Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Ineresting. Apparently was rated the best goalie in this draft but MacDonald went a couple ahead of him to Calgary. Was hoping to get Lemieux but Buffalo scooped him up just before us, Dang

Demko is huge - 6'-4". Kid could be a good pick for us. Going to Boston College. Didn't Schneider go to Boston College?
Last edited by Chef Boi RD on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Re: Canucks Draft goalie Thatcher Demko with 36 pick

Post by 2Fingers »

Nothing against a kid but the Canucks done need a goalie selected in round 2.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Reefer2 wrote:Nothing against a kid but the Canucks done need a goalie selected in round 2.
Disagree, the kid was rated the best goalie in the draft, we need more depth in that department big time. Markstrom looks like a project with big question marks. Demko could be the goalie for the next core group that Benning and linden are quite obviously building here.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Lancer
CC Legend

Post by Lancer »

Depth in the system isn't bad. Doesn't look like Cannata is panning out and the jury's still out on Ericksson. Besides, with him going to BC, it gives him a couple years to season his game at a time when Vancouver still has some young goalies to sort out. Don't mind the pick.
Love the Sport. Love the Team.

Hate the League.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

Surprised at picking a goalie but this guy has a lot to like about his game. Projected to be a number 1 goalie, so I'm on board.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

I love me some goalies!

Agreed with Lancer ... I'm not exactly sold on Cannata or Eriksson. A couple more years at Boston and we may have another Schneider in the system? Never know ...
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Great pick! Only thing we're really lacking in the system (position wise) is top blue line prospects.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Can't really worry too much about picking a goalie now. They take longer to develop fully, so this kid might not be NHL-ready until 2018-19. At that point Lack is hitting his 30's and given how fast we're tearing through goalies we might need a new #1 by then...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

The Vancouver Canucks used their first second-round pick in the 2014 NHL draft to select Boston College goaltender Thatcher Demko. The San Diego native posted a 16-5-3 record with a .919 save percentage as a freshman for the Eagles in 2013-14. He played a key role in BC’s Beanpot title and Hockey East regular-season championship. Demko was ranked as the top goaltender available on most pre-draft lists based on his athleticism, poise, exceptional glove hand and superb rebound control. The selection of Demko is a wise one by new general manager Jim Benning because the Canucks don’t have a long-term solution between the pipes at the NHL level. Eddie Lack likely will be the starter entering the 2014-15 season, but he struggled (16-17-5, 2.41 GAA) in that role toward the end of last season following the Roberto Luongo trade. Backup netminder Jacob Markstrom was acquired in the Luongo deal and has shown nothing to suggest he’s an NHL starter. The Eagles goaltender probably won’t be NHL ready for at least three more years, but the Canucks can afford to be patient as they transition into a rebuild. The last BC goalie drafted by Vancouver was Cory Schneider (first round, 2004), who turned into the team’s starter in 2012-13 and has become a top 15 player at the position with the New Jersey Devils. Demko will remain at Boston College for his sophomore season and is expected to be the starter or backup on Team USA’s roster at the 2015 World Junior Championships.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/06/2014-nhl-draft- ... n-round-2/

Copied from some internet site!
The only HW the Canucks need
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Canucks could be well represented at the WJCs. Cassels and Demko for USA. McCann, Virtanen for Canada. Is Horvat WJC eligible if he goes back to London? Would Tryamkin still be eligible for the russkies?
Nuckertuzzi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Nuckertuzzi »

ClamRussel wrote:Great pick! Only thing we're really lacking in the system (position wise) is top blue line prospects.

And blue chippers anywhere.
CorranHorn
CC Veteran

Post by CorranHorn »

RoyalDude wrote:Canucks could be well represented at the WJCs. Cassels and Demko for USA. McCann, Virtanen for Canada. Is Horvat WJC eligible if he goes back to London? Would Tryamkin still be eligible for the russkies?
Horvat doesn't have to go back to jr to be WJC eligible, he can go from the NHL
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

Nuckertuzzi wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Great pick! Only thing we're really lacking in the system (position wise) is top blue line prospects.

And blue chippers anywhere.
If Horvat and Virtanen (and possibly Shinkaruk) aren't blue chip prospects then I think that definition is unreasonably strict. They are literally top ten prospects out of their draft class and probably only three or four draft classes at any one time are considered to be prospects.. not including the guys who graduate into the big league.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

CorranHorn wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:Canucks could be well represented at the WJCs. Cassels and Demko for USA. McCann, Virtanen for Canada. Is Horvat WJC eligible if he goes back to London? Would Tryamkin still be eligible for the russkies?
Horvat doesn't have to go back to jr to be WJC eligible, he can go from the NHL
If he's in the NHL not a chance in hell the Canucks loan him to Team Canada. NHL players are NHL players, they don't need to go to a children's tournament.