Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Hockey Widow »

At the time we desperately needed a top six centre and for whatever reasons Kopitar, who showed upside, dropped. I think BB blew his wad to justify the pick. Luc was a good pick for us but Kopitar would have been the better pick, picking for position and was still the best player available. Luc was Canadian safe and had that toughness BB loves.

I remember hoping he would pick Kopitar but can't say I was disappointed with Luc. If not for his tragic death he would have probably made top 4 on D and been a steady contributor on the back end. But Kopitar still would have been a better pick. However he may not have developed in Vancouver as quickly as he did with LA. They could afford to let him play top minutes, make mistakes and learn the game. I'm not so sure we would have done that.
The only HW the Canucks need
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Hockey Widow wrote:At the time we desperately needed a top six centre and for whatever reasons Kopitar, who showed upside, dropped. I think BB blew his wad to justify the pick. Luc was a good pick for us but Kopitar would have been the better pick, picking for position and was still the best player available. Luc was Canadian safe and had that toughness BB loves.

I remember hoping he would pick Kopitar but can't say I was disappointed with Luc. If not for his tragic death he would have probably made top 4 on D and been a steady contributor on the back end. But Kopitar still would have been a better pick. However he may not have developed in Vancouver as quickly as he did with LA. They could afford to let him play top minutes, make mistakes and learn the game. I'm not so sure we would have done that.
Nonis was the GM that took Bourdon....
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Vader wrote: Nonis was the GM that took Bourdon....
True...
http://www.tsn.ca/story/print/?id=131988

Nonis sniffed around the higher picks but couldn't pull off a deal.

''We did try,'' Nonis said. ''We made offers to three teams that were ahead of us. We weren't about to take away some big parts of our team in order to move up because we knew we had a good pick at 10.''

He even tried to swing a deal for the No. 2 pick owned by his former Canucks boss Brian Burke, but the new Anaheim GM was asking way too much.

''I talked to Burkey but I've grown quite attached to my first-born and that's what it would have taken,'' Nonis said with a laugh.
So in an alternative universe it was...

2005 10th overall (Luc Bourdon) + Ryan Kesler... to the Ducks for... 2005 2nd overall (Bobby Ryan).

Then in the summer of 2006 Bobby Clarke of the Flyers offer-sheets Ryan Kesler and Burkie...

... doesn't match!

(you know Burkie) :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

My French-Irish-American reference was that of ol' chrome dome o'er at TSN.

Unlucky Luc was Nonis' first ever pick after Burke was canned in Mae of '04.

Beyond what little sample size scouts had on him, don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Anze.

Luc was the safer pick over the Slovenian.

Par for the course with this organizations unremarkable draft history.

Here's hoping McCann has an outstanding camp and earns a longer look.
Cookie La Rue
MVP
MVP

Post by Cookie La Rue »

Hockey Widow wrote:One big question mark on him was the mindset that he was not coachable. There were stories floating around that he had arguments with his coaching staff and that led to him dropping in the rankings. Not enough was known about him to off set that, at the time.
Wasn't his father the coach? Maybe it was more familiar... :mrgreen:
"Every dog has its day." - CC Hockey Pool Champion 2004 & 2013 'Moves like Lenarduzzi'
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Cookie La Rue wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:One big question mark on him was the mindset that he was not coachable. There were stories floating around that he had arguments with his coaching staff and that led to him dropping in the rankings. Not enough was known about him to off set that, at the time.
Wasn't his father the coach? Maybe it was more familiar... :mrgreen:

What do I know, I got the wrong GM!!
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

All the stories I recall from that time were question marks on Anze's nationality and the lack of hockey pedigree of his compatriots.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

BladesofSteel wrote:My French-Irish-American reference was that of ol' chrome dome o'er at TSN.

Beyond what little sample size scouts had on him, don't recall ever hearing anything negative about Anze.

McCann is out with Mono. There is a good chance that he will miss significant portion of the main camp as well...
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Jovocop wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:My French-Irish-American reference was that of ol' chrome dome o'er at TSN.

McCann is out with Mono. There is a good chance that he will miss significant portion of the main camp as well...
He should miss the entire camp. No way he makes the team this year anyway so better to rest until he is symptom free and his spleen has returned to normal. It is too bad both he and Cassels are inflicted but it is what it is :mrgreen:
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

BladesofSteel wrote:

Cory Schneider was Nonis' first ever pick...

What am I, the site fact checker?
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Vader wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:

Hey, someone has to do it! A thankless job I know but it keeps us honest :D
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I'm just keepin you on your toes ;)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Vader wrote:
BladesofSteel wrote:

Hey, someone has to do it! A thankless job I know but it keeps us honest :D
Yeah "thankless"... and then Mëds starts with the "cherry picker" accusations. :evil:

Keep up the good work Vader! :thumbs:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

BladesofSteel wrote:I'm just keepin you on your toes ;)
I prefer keeping them curled.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

It amazes me we still talk about Kopitar. 12 other teams passed on him as well, kind of like how 14 teams passed on Erik Karlsson, Canucks included, who on most people's list is in the top 3 of best defensemen in the game. I know I slagged Gillis and his terrible drafting record cause, well, it was fun, but the bottom line, drafting in the NHL will always be a crap shoot, which is why you need to stock pile prospects to increase your odds in some of those kids panning out which is what the Canucks were not doing for years. They finally realized it with the last two drafts. It's proven time and time again, the only way to build a successful NHL product is through drafting and developing. If you look at the Canucks drafting history, most their successes came from the later round picks. We were never great in the first round. The Canucks in the old days rarely traded picks away but for some reason under Burke, Nonis and Gillis that philosophy changed which is why the Canucks are where they are now. Realizing that way doesn't work and having to re-stock the cupboards. It's the only way to fly.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau