Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Betamax wrote:via: http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014/08 ... nucks.html

OHL Prospects Blogger Brock Otten discusses McCann and some other OHL prospects in the Canucks' system:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so, from the scouting reports, I see a lot of potential no. 2's and no no. 1's .......... :hmmm:
1) Bloggers are not pro scouts, even pro scouts could be wrong at times (e.g. Alexandre Daigle)
Do you think that blogger would be as reliable or more so than some random hfboards guy that blob google searched for that is selling his draft expertise?
2) Lots of hockey experts claimed that Kesler at best was a 3rd line checking centre after he was drafted. Now, Kesler is one of the premium 2nd line centre...
Based on everything you've seen/heard/read so far, do you any prospect in the Canucks system with a realistic chance at being a 1C?
3) Some kids never reach their full potentials, some do, and some exceed... Not saying McCann will exceed but just that he could one of those kids...
Of course, but the question is how many of these kids have a realistic "potential" of being a 1C?

That was the point. 8-)
Jovocop
CC Legend

Post by Jovocop »

Betamax wrote: Do you think that blogger would be as reliable or more so than some random hfboards guy that blob google searched for that is selling his draft expertise?
The fact is that bloggers are not more reliable than any of us. They are not "professionals".
Betamax wrote: Based on everything you've seen/heard/read so far, do you any prospect in the Canucks system with a realistic chance at being a 1C?
I cannot tell you which prospect has a realistic chance at being a 1C. Like I said, they might or might not reach their full potentials. Some might exceed...

BTW, how do you define a centre as a No. 1? Based on salary on their respective team?? Ennis and Bolland (40 - 50 pts??) or Crosby and Malkin (80-100 pts??)

Horvat and McCann could very be a 1C on teams like Buffalo or Florida.
Betamax wrote:
Of course, but the question is how many of these kids have a realistic "potential" of being a 1C?

That was the point. 8-)
See my answer above.
dangler
MVP
MVP

Post by dangler »

Uncle dans leg wrote:The more irons we have in the fire the better...

As many will agree...projections made now rarely pan out...for the bad AND the good. Having so many decent forward prospects...one or 2 of them will surprise down the road. Its almost a given.

Let's just hope its the good kind of surprise!
Things are looking promising in the prospect pool. I'd like to see Benning pull off a few more deals before next years draft involving picks coming the Canucks way. One more draft with acquisitions like the last two years and the Canucks should have enough prospects that a few should turn out and a new #1 line will emerge.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Betamax wrote:
2) Lots of hockey experts claimed that Kesler at best was a 3rd line checking centre after he was drafted. Now, Kesler is one of the premium 2nd line centre...
Based on everything you've seen/heard/read so far, do you any prospect in the Canucks system with a realistic chance at being a 1C?
Its pretty pointless to use a label like 1C. Kesler is the perfect example - 2nd in the League for TOI/g, in the top 30 for goals - he's a "1C" on a lot of NHL teams. He was projected to be a "3C". Many people consider Kesler to be a "2C", because he produced slightly less offence than Hank this past year.

So, if any of the "projected 2Cs" end up leading the team in ice time, put up first-line offensive numbers, and face the toughest matchups like our previous "2C" did, I'd consider that as good as a "projected 1C".

Which is to say - I think the labels 1C and 2C are pointless.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Jovocop wrote:
Betamax wrote: Do you think that blogger would be as reliable or more so than some random hfboards guy that blob google searched for that is selling his draft expertise?
The fact is that bloggers are not more reliable than any of us. They are not "professionals".
With all due respect, Jovocop, I would say @BrockOtten is much more reliable at assessing OHL prospects then you. He has at least a track record of documenting his opinions via his blog from 2008 and has written several hundred blog pieces. Lest we forget, some of these "bloggers" are better than others. i.e. BC's very own James Mirtle came from humble blogging beginnings to be one of the top hockey writers ..... covering the leaves for the Globe & Mail. Lest we forget, THE Tyler Dellow, blogger and twitter antagonist, who now works for Oilers Management. The same management he often was critical of ...........
i cannot tell you which prospect has a realistic chance at being a 1C. Like I said, they might or might not reach their full potentials. Some might exceed...
LOL.
BTW, how do you define a centre as a No. 1? Based on salary on their respective team?? Ennis and Bolland (40 - 50 pts??) or Crosby and Malkin (80-100 pts??)

Horvat and McCann could very be a 1C on teams like Buffalo or Florida.
Uhhhhhh, it's pretty clear compared to their peers. Like Crosby and Malkin are clearly in a different class than the two other players you've mentioned. Now Henrik isn't at the Pens' C level these days, but has demonstrated that he's a 1C.

No one would consider Ennis and Bolland a 1C at the NHL level. That's like saying that every team has a 1G (high quality starting goalie) ......

BTW, I seriously doubt Horvat and McCann would beat out Cody or The Son of Sam for their pseudo "1C" position, even if it's handed out by default. 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

I am anxious to see what this player can do Friday night. He was rated to go in the top 15 by many prognosticators ( no, not sock puppeteers on msg boards ). Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:I am anxious to see what this player can do Friday night. He was rated to go in the top 15 by many prognosticators ( no, not sock puppeteers on msg boards ). Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.

He got painted with the Kopitar feather, great player, ton of skill, but a bad attitude. Seems the shit didn't stick to Kopitar so perhaps we'll get lucky with this kid and his bad attitude just turns out to be a mean competitive edge. He sure sounded like he had something to prove.
The only HW the Canucks need
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Hockey Widow wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:I am anxious to see what this player can do Friday night. He was rated to go in the top 15 by many prognosticators ( no, not sock puppeteers on msg boards ). Hopefully he turns out to be a steal.

He got painted with the Kopitar feather, great player, ton of skill, but a bad attitude. Seems the shit didn't stick to Kopitar so perhaps we'll get lucky with this kid and his bad attitude just turns out to be a mean competitive edge. He sure sounded like he had something to prove.
I don't recall anyone questioning Kopitar's attitude. It was because he was from Slovenia and they hadn't seen him play against top tier competition. The word was boom or bust, high risk/reward.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: He got painted with the Kopitar feather, great player, ton of skill, but a bad attitude. Seems the shit didn't stick to Kopitar so perhaps we'll get lucky with this kid and his bad attitude just turns out to be a mean competitive edge. He sure sounded like he had something to prove.
I don't recall anyone questioning Kopitar's attitude. It was because he was from Slovenia and they hadn't seen him play against top tier competition. The word was boom or bust, high risk/reward.
I recall alot of ppl wanted kopitar on the old CC board. He was compared to a forsberg and I think skating was an issue.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

The one constant that has me jacked about all these new kids in the system - they all have an, a chip on their shoulders so to speak. They possess skill and sandpaper which has been sorely missed from this team since when Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Rypien were all kids with attitude in Manitoba. This whole Team Nice thing with the Canucks the last while has irritated me to no end. All of McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Cassels, Gaunce have big chips on their shoulders, love it. Apparently the Canuçks prospects in the OHL were asked which player they most dislike playing against was Cassels. Who would have thought that Andrews kid would love to drop his mitts and plays the game tough?
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

RoyalDude wrote:The one constant that has me jacked about all these new kids in the system - they all have an, a chip on their shoulders so to speak. They possess skill and sandpaper which has been sorely missed from this team since when Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Rypien were all kids with attitude in Manitoba. This whole Team Nice thing with the Canucks the last while has irritated me to no end. All of McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Cassels, Gaunce have big chips on their shoulders, love it.
So did Kesler, what if we have a bunch of Kes's in the system? Not sure if that's good or bad. @_@
Tciso
MVP
MVP

Post by Tciso »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:The one constant that has me jacked about all these new kids in the system - they all have an, a chip on their shoulders so to speak. They possess skill and sandpaper which has been sorely missed from this team since when Burrows, Kesler, Bieksa, Rypien were all kids with attitude in Manitoba. This whole Team Nice thing with the Canucks the last while has irritated me to no end. All of McCann, Horvat, Virtanen, Shinkaruk, Fox, Cassels, Gaunce have big chips on their shoulders, love it.
So did Kesler, what if we have a bunch of Kes's in the system? Not sure if that's good or bad. @_@
That would be awesome. Kesler was a great Canuck. Yeah, he wanted out in the end, but, he gave us 10 solid seasons, including the last 2 with a team that was looking to be going the wrong direction and had no plan to fix it. He's a heart n soul guy. Give my 5 more just like him, and we'll trade them 10 years later when their hearts start to wear thin.
The Cup is soooooo ours!!!!!!!
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:
It doesn't need to be like that.

Even a guy like Linden was always at his best we he started the game with a hit in the corner. Say what you will about Linden, I would not say he was shy about contact - at least at the beginning of his career.
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

ClamRussel wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote:

One big question mark on him was the mindset that he was not coachable. There were stories floating around that he had arguments with his coaching staff and that led to him dropping in the rankings. Not enough was known about him to off set that, at the time.

I do remember when he dropped a lot here wanted him picked as well. But he did have, what turns out to be false, a bad rep for his attitude. So I am hoping that the McCaan rap is along the same lines.
The only HW the Canucks need
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

I don't recall reading that about Kopitar either. Interesting.

I do remember French-Irish-American blowing his load all over Luc Bourdon every time his name came up.

Talk about a kick in the pants.

RIP Luc