Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Re: Canucks select Jared McCann at #24

Post by Vader »

RoyalDude wrote: drafting in the NHL will always be a crap shoot
Yet you're a believer in the "tank it" theory?
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Vader wrote:

Let me propose you this - are the chances of a team succeeding with a draft pick if said draft pick is a top 3 pick? Especially in a year - the 2015 draft class, that comes much ballyhooed as a very good draft in the top end
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vader wrote:

Let me propose you this - are the chances of a team succeeding with a draft pick if said draft pick is a top 3 pick? Especially in a year - the 2015 draft class, that comes much ballyhooed as a very good draft in the top end
Cam Barker, Chris Gratton, Jack Jackson, Tverdovskly the list goes on...servicable players but hardly stars

Nathan Horton before Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Weber, Brown, Richards
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:
Vader wrote:

A) The draft will always be a crapshoot.
B) The local market's tolerance for mediocrity is non-existent
C) Aquabros/Benning have invested 18M over the next three years in Ryan Miller.

The TankItTorts strategy sailed a long time ago.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Holy fuck, Math and Vader need to re-read my post. Not sure why I even responded to Vader's poor interpretation of my original post, I took the bait and shouldn't have. Math's post is just a poor response to my poor response to Vader's shit bag misinterpretation of my post. This conversation is purely fucked now. Pulling out
quittah
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:Holy fuck, Math and Vader need to re-read my post. Not sure why I even responded to Vader's poor interpretation of my original post, I took the bait and shouldn't have. Math's post is just a poor response to my poor response to Vader's shit bag misinterpretation of my post. This conversation is purely fucked now. Pulling out
quittah
Lol.

Holy fuck indeed.

Your original post was so disjointed that I had to rely on Vader to try to interpret that steaming pile of poo.

The conversation about Kopitar was about the potential reasons why the Nucks passed on him in the draft.

Then you go
>
It amazes me we still talk about Kopitar. 12 other teams passed on him as well, kind of like how 14 teams passed on Erik Karlsson, Canucks included, who on most people's list is in the top 3 of best defensemen in the game.
<

Yes, valid point. Talking about Kopi is a pipe dream anyways as who really knows how 6'3 211lb Luc Bourdon would have turned out. He really didn't play enough games for me to get a sense of what kind of defensemen Luc was.

Then you go off on a tangent off to never-never-land.
RoyalDude wrote:
I know I slagged Gillis and his terrible drafting record cause, well, it was fun, but the bottom line, drafting in the NHL will always be a crap shoot, which is why you need to stock pile prospects to increase your odds in some of those kids panning out which is what the Canucks were not doing for years. They finally realized it with the last two drafts. It's proven time and time again, the only way to build a successful NHL product is through drafting and developing. If you look at the Canucks drafting history, most their successes came from the later round picks. We were never great in the first round. The Canucks in the old days rarely traded picks away but for some reason under Burke, Nonis and Gillis that philosophy changed which is why the Canucks are where they are now. Realizing that way doesn't work and having to re-stock the cupboards. It's the only way to fly.
So, somehow you transitioned from the Anze Kopitar conversation to the Canucks should keep their 2nd+ round draft picks instead of trading them away.

The two statements: Round 1 draft picks are a crap shoot and the Canucks should keep their draft picks instead of trading them away, have a very low correlation.

Round 1 draft picks ARE a crap shoot, however, craps is a game of probability and usually, the higher one drafts, the higher the probability of drafting a top 6 player. (With regards to Luc, we crapped out something fierce, maybe it was the tacobell we had for lunch that day). But if you look beyond 2005, our scouting department was crappy beyond belief. Its like 2006 and 2007 didn't even happen. It really is mindboggling how Ron Delorme has kept his job for so long delivering such mediocre results.

The reason why Burke, Nonis and Gillis emptied the cupboards during their regimes was because they were building toward a championship. Burke laid the foundation, No-nuts stole Mike Keenan's lunch money and then Gillis did what he did. Nobody could fault Gillis for going for it, however, it was his execution that earned him a big fat F.

So in-conclusion, it's incredibly crucial for the Canucks to be able to use their first round draft pick to draft a NHL player. Crapshoot or not, the first round is historically where a lot of the "blue chippers" get drafted and now with Benning at the helm, our probability of success has never been greater.

And whether the Canucks should trade picks or not is a simple case of executing on trades. Plain and simple. Is Linden Vey worth a 2nd? We'll find out in the few seasons.
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

No mas!

No mas!

No mas!
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

RoyalDude wrote:No mas!

No mas!

No mas!
Sorry...

Is this agreement or disagreement?
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

McCann is off to a good start, (3gp, 2g, 3a, 5pts). I'm really curious to see if he can rack up the points with his junior club this year, maybe even have an outside shot to make the world juniors. :)
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:McCann is off to a good start, (3gp, 2g, 3a, 5pts). I'm really curious to see if he can rack up the points with his junior club this year, maybe even have an outside shot to make the world juniors. :)
I'd say he has a pretty good shot considering he plays a hard working/fast skating/complete game w/ soft hands. The only thing keeping him off the team will be injury or alleged concerns over his attitude.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Anybody know why he's missed a bunch of games in a row? I can't find anything on him. I assume he's injured.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Diehard1 wrote:Anybody know why he's missed a bunch of games in a row? I can't find anything on him. I assume he's injured.
Viral infection, apparently. Should be back to the lineup soon.
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Diehard1 wrote:Anybody know why he's missed a bunch of games in a row? I can't find anything on him. I assume he's injured.
Viral infection, apparently. Should be back to the lineup soon.
I heard something about his mono came back. Apparently he's been fatigued the whole time he's been playing.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy