Benning

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Benning

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote: All this Iginla, Miller, Bolland chatter makes me uneasy. I've always said, there can be room for almost any player depending on the term and role but it's difficult seeing how any of those veterans fit without having to overpay.
Why worry about "overpaying" when we have lots of caproom, almost a full roster (RFAs signed), rich owner.

Iginla and Miller (trade Marko for a pick) on one-years deals.

Bolland on a 7-year front-loaded deal (cap-hit - $4.5m) (NTC for the first 4 years).

No probs amirite? :mex:
coco_canuck wrote: What is his vision?
Well hang onto your hat, you're about to find out! :mrgreen:

Welcome back btw Coco...
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Why worry about "overpaying" when we have lots of caproom, almost a full roster (RFAs signed), rich owner.

Iginla and Miller (trade Marko for a pick) on one-years deals.

Bolland on a 7-year front-loaded deal (cap-hit - $4.5m) (NTC for the first 4 years).

No probs amirite? :mex:
I would take Iggy or Miller on 1 year deals...I would even take Miller on a 2-3 year deal at a solid salary like $3.5M if at all possible.

My main issue with Bolland is that the Canucks already have Bonino, Horvat, Matthias and guys like Gaunce, Cassels and now McCan who seem to project as similar top 9 forwards, with Horvat having 2nd C potential.

Don't see the need to add Bolland. If you're trying to sign a centre, go big for Stastny or just fuck it.
Strangelove wrote: Welcome back btw Coco...
Thank you good Doctor.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

coco_canuck wrote: I would take Iggy or Miller on 1 year deals...I would even take Miller on a 2-3 year deal at a solid salary like $3.5M if at all possible.

My main issue with Bolland is that the Canucks already have Bonino, Horvat, Matthias and guys like Gaunce, Cassels and now McCan who seem to project as similar top 9 forwards, with Horvat having 2nd C potential.

Don't see the need to add Bolland. If you're trying to sign a centre, go big for Stastny or just fuck it.
You're right there, the Canucks don't need to add another center unless they think that Horvat is definitely not going to be ready. Even then, we still have Richardson right now.

Hope Kassian is ready to take the next step under a coach who is a proven teacher, then target a top-6 winger.....a real one. No tweeners.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote: My main issue with Bolland is that the Canucks already have Bonino, Horvat, Matthias and guys like Gaunce, Cassels and now McCan who seem to project as similar top 9 forwards, with Horvat having 2nd C potential.
Most of those guys can play wing and a few of them are a few years away.

Trust me buddy, you're gonna fall in love with Bolland! :thumbs:
coco_canuck wrote: Don't see the need to add Bolland. If you're trying to sign a centre, go big for Stastny or just fuck it.
So wait... do you want a UFA centre brought in or... NOT? :mrgreen:
____
Try to focus on someday.
coco_canuck
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by coco_canuck »

Strangelove wrote: Most of those guys can play wing and a few of them are a few years away.

Trust me buddy, you're gonna fall in love with Bolland! :thumbs:
I do like him as a player, I just don't see his addition as a need for this club right now. Hopefully Horvat can push Bonino down to the 3rd line and I like Matthias' versatility because he plays both wing and centre. In the meanwhile, I would be fine with Matthias' centering the 3rd line until Horvat would be ready instead of committing a 7 year deal to Bolland, who is a good player but he also has an injury history, could be a 4th liner before his deal is up.

Strangelove wrote: So wait... do you want a UFA centre brought in or... NOT? :mrgreen:
I don't like any of the centres in this UFA crop, not on a long-term deal.

What the Canucks still need is a 2nd line centre. I think it's asking much to expect Bonino to be a scoring 2nd line C, so if you're going to spend money on a centre, make it someone with higher scoring potential to address the real need this team has.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

coco_canuck wrote: committing a 7 year deal to Bolland, who is a good player but he also has an injury history, could be a 4th liner before his deal is up.
Well in my scenario it's a 7-year deal but it's really a 4-year deal. :wink:

He gets most of his money up front and has a $3m actually salary without a NTC after 4 years.

In his early thirties.
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

If we're going to sign somebody to a seven year deal that somebody better be Paul Stastny.

Go big or go home, I say. Stastny's a legitimate #1 center. Those don't come along in free agency all that often. All of a sudden our top 6 would have the potential to be quite good.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

NO! no more long term contracts that hanstring us for years.Stastny is not that good to tie us up forever.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

What's a hanstring?

A 7 year deal for Stastny would take us to 2020-21. He'd be 35 at that time. Stastny has scored at a .85 point per game clip over his career (Hank Sedin has scored at .83. He is a legitimately good player.

We have very few players signed beyond 2015-16. Beyond 2016-17 we only have four players signed and one of those is Hansen who is on the way out anyway. We wouldn't be 'hanstring' at all.

Would I rather dump Burrows and spend an extra $2.5M/season on Stastny? Fuck yeah!

In fact, we could move Burrows and Hansen - there's $7M right there. We'd still have plenty of room to sign Miller and add another top six player.
the Dogsalmon
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by the Dogsalmon »

herb wrote:What's a hanstring?

A 7 year deal for Stastny would take us to 2020-21. He'd be 35 at that time. Stastny has scored at a .85 point per game clip over his career (Hank Sedin has scored at .83. He is a legitimately good player.

We have very few players signed beyond 2015-16. Beyond 2016-17 we only have four players signed and one of those is Hansen who is on the way out anyway. We wouldn't be 'hanstring' at all.

Would I rather dump Burrows and spend an extra $2.5M/season on Stastny? Fuck yeah!

In fact, we could move Burrows and Hansen - there's $7M right there. We'd still have plenty of room to sign Miller and add another top six player.

You give any human being a 7 year iron clad deal and failure will follow.Human nature is to take the easy road.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

the Dogsalmon wrote:You give any human being a 7 year iron clad deal and failure will follow.Human nature is to take the easy road.
Yeah, that must be why Chicago and LA keep doing so shitty...
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Wait a minute....they have tons of long-term deals!

http://capgeek.com/kings/

http://capgeek.com/blackhawks/
dbr
CC Legend

Post by dbr »

the Dogsalmon wrote:You give any human being a 7 year iron clad deal and failure will follow.Human nature is to take the easy road.
Is that (the freedom to post on this board in perpetuity without feeling obliged to impress anyone) why you're trotting out this line of reasoning? :scowl:

Everyone knows a long term deal is a risk but it is the price of doing business in this league and if you want something for nothing you'd better get comfortable taking risks; even Chicago with all of their organizational depth handed out huge contracts to UFAs Brian Campbell and Marian Hossa.

I'd probably rather overpay Stastny (even more) to get a term of 4-5 years though.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

dbr wrote:I'd probably rather overpay Stastny (even more) to get a term of 4-5 years though.
$8m for 5 years? Sure, why not.

That would move Bonino to the wing in all likelihood.

Odds are some combination of Stastny with Kassian, Bonino, Higgins, Vey, Jensen, Shinkaruk or maybe even Iginla would be successful in a top six role over that period.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

But what if it hanstrings the teem ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”