Willie Desjardins named Head Coach

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Re: Willie Desjardins to be named Head Coach

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

Woot, we get a new Willie? :lol: I'm surprised he turned down Pittsburgh to come here. Also, I heard if we get a rookie coach and not a big name guy (ie- Bylsma), it might be a sign that it's going to be a 2-4 year plan, a rebuild and grow with the coach type situation. Go go go JB & TL, tank it Willie!!! :P

Rutherford: "Willie: if u don't win the cup next season with us, u will get your ass canned."

JB: "Willie: we plan to tank it for at least next season and go for that McDavid kid, u will get lots of time to develop our young players and we hope to contend again in a few years."

Willie (thinking): "Christ, I'm like 57 fucking years old, it took me this long to become the man in the big show. I want it to last longer than a year. Something must be wrong in Pitts, they had 2 good coaches in Therien and Bylsma, yet only 1 Cup. Two of the best players in the world, yet they tend to come up short in the playoffs. I think I will go with the job security. Van-city: get ready for the Big Willie!" :lol:
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Willie and Lidster if WD gets his way....

Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Hockey_God
CC Rookie

Post by Hockey_God »

Strangelove wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455324
Willie Desjardins, 58,

Thoughts?
He is only 57. I can retire at 55 with a full pension. Has a first-time NHL head coach ever passed away from natural causes? He reminds me of AV except he is older with less NHL experience. Hopefully his career Climax's in Van City.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

SKYO wrote:Willie and Lidster if WD gets his way....
It'll be nice to see Lidster back with the team, always seemed like a knowledgable/smart hockey guy. He was probably one of our best D-men in our franchise, until we started to get the likes of Jovo, Ohlund, Salo, Hamhuis, etc. I know Lidster is a good guy and Willie is said to be a good guy, so who is going to play the bad guy/bad cop?
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Image[/quote]

Nobody's gonna slap that Willie around
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Lidster too?

Former Cap'n. Great guy, cup ring as a player :|

:thumbs:
Cornuck
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Cornuck »

Nice to see the coaching staff set up for a youth movement. I'd rather watch the kids progress than see this core keep doin' what they do.
Doc: "BTW, Donny was right, you're smug."
sagebrush
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by sagebrush »

To reiterate ...
Rumsfeld wrote:At this point I'm of the mind that Stevens would be a good fit.
Last year I wanted Stevens, but that changed along with the change in: GM; personnel; options for getting younger; & our new President + GM's desire to play an up tempo game.

This time I'm hoping we get Desjardins. Despite that fact that as a rookie NHL coach & recent promotion from the AHL, he may need more support from Benning.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10325&p=203933#p203886
ODB wrote:Mcguire HAS coaching experience. I honestly think he may be the best available option. Better than some green AHL coach... Dan Byslma get's my vote but he's under contract so the next best option is Mcguire IMHO!
McGuire's head coaching experience (at all levels) is a total of five months of one playing season. That's how long it took the Penguins to fire him. Way back in 1994.

Desjardins has two years of NHL assistant coach experience. He won the coach of the year award in both the CHL & the AHL.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10325&p=203933#p203923
sagebrush wrote:
Betamax wrote: What qualities that Desjardins possesses that would make you rate him ahead of Stevens?
Desjardins coaches an aggressive, up tempo game. And ...
sagebrush wrote: our new President + GM's desire to play an up tempo game.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10325&p=203933#p203933
sagebrush wrote: We just got rid of our number one primo donna player. We're probably going to get rid of the Canucks' number two 'me guy' on the team.

We don't need a coach with a flashy ego or wardrobe. We need a guy who wants to focus on business, with a drive to prove himself, & who will quickly earn the respect of the team's leaders.

We need ... the anti Torts.

Quiet, humble, under-bearing Desjardins is the anti-Torts.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10325&p=205894#p205894
Less Canucks embarrassment please.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Mustache Willie is in the house!

Can I change my handle to Willie's mustache? Oh wait...I'll just name a sock instead!

Pretty exciting times in Canuckland! A new direction is what the team needs and it started at the top with TL and JB. Once Mustache Willie is confirmed the trifecta is complete. I don't expect a huge impact results-wise right at the beginning but the long term plan is set in motion.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Mr.Miyagi wrote:Mustache Willie is in the house!
via: https://twitter.com/JasonPHT/status/480081605227061249
Jason Brough
‏@JasonPHT
The Chicago Model

1:15 PM - 20 Jun 2014
As per my twitter reply to @JasonPHT, "@JasonPHT Now all Willie has to do over the next few years is "coach" Horvat so he "looks" like Toews and likewise Shinkaruk as Kane on ice!"

That shouldn't be that difficult, right? :mex:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Moustaches are fucking awesome and goatees are terrible. This all bodes well for the Canucks.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rumsfeld wrote:Moustaches are fucking awesome and goatees are terrible. This all bodes well for the Canucks.
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Uncle dans leg wrote:He comes from climax?
Don't we all? ;)
Rayxor
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Rayxor »

Strangelove wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=455324
The native of Climax, Sask. also won a WHL championship in 2004 as coach of the Medicine Hat Tigers.
Thoughts?[/quote]
I'm familiar with him from his WHL coaching days. Prior to his tenure, the Tigers had a half decade of futility and no playoffs. They had talent though, including Boumeester and Lupul during that time.

Willie's first year wasn't much of a change in the regular season but the playoffs were a different story. As a substantial underdog, they won the 1st round 4-0, taking the last two games by 13-4 goals.

The 2nd had them meet the powerhouse Red Deer Rebels including Cam Ward in net and Dion Phaneuf. With zero expectations on them, they took the Rebels to 7 games including a double OT win in game 6 where our mediocre goaltending stole the show from Ward.

Under Desjardins and his successor, they havent missed the playoffs since and went to the Memorial cup twice. People the this city are once again excited about hockey.

When you talk about changing the culture of the team, he certainly played a huge part of it in this town.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Rayxor wrote:
Uncle dans leg wrote:He comes from climax?
Don't we all? ;)
I know a girl from there...or rather goes there...she has dreads and tats in places that they don't belong... :oops:

Question is...is Wille the Burning Man?

What ruddy difference does 3 or 5 years make? Give him tenure and you can fire him in 3 if he fails...

I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)