If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would ya?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Locked

If trading Horvat + 6th pick was the only way to acquire the 2014 1st pick, would ya do it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

YES! YES! YES!
9
18%
NO means NO.
37
76%
Other (Please explain in post)
3
6%
 
Total votes: 49

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:17 pm

ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Absolutely, but the catch is there weren't such looming question marks about last year's crop as there are this time around. The big difference is McKinnon was considered a true no.1 C and Seth Jones a true no.1 D. Even Drouin at 3 had less concerns than Reinhart & Ekblad.
Yeah, but what about the point that best case scenario, Bo turns into a 2C, while best case scenario, The Son Of Paul turns into a 1C. Now it's debatable on what the probabilities on each player turning into their so-called "best case scenario" ..... but it's pretty clear to see at worst, The Son Of Paul is in a group of 4 prospects that will be selected in the TOP 4. The Canucks pick 6 and even if he drops out of the top 4, you don't think the NYI will pick him? :mex:
For one thing, just because some scouts & media parrot something doesn't make it true. How do you know Bo will only be a 2C best case scenerio? Lots can happen in the development process. Look at Mike Peca. What did the scouts say about him when he was drafted. What was his upside and best case scenerio?
Secondly, you need awesome 2nd line centers to do anything so you don't just trade them willy nilly. Maybe Reinhart turns into our 2C and Horvat is 3 - even better! That means we actually have depth. You mentioned Francis, he had his career rejuvenated when he went to Pitt, played w/ Jagr & the point on a PP w/ Lemieux, Coffey etc. So he was a no.1 in the 2 spot on a loaded team. Does that make him a 1b? No way in hell he puts up those numbers if he stayed in Hartford. What about the Flames w/ Niewendyk/Gilmour/Otto? Was Gilmour a 2 or a 1b in the 2 spot? Hindsight is 20/20. He was certainly a 1a in Toronto but would Calgary have traded him for Leeman if they knew his best years were still ahead of him?
I have heard nobody ever claim that Bo will ever be a 1C. He wasn't even that in Junior Hockey.

Furthermore, Bo benefited from playing in a pretty stacked team during his draft year, while The Son of Paul and the other WHL C available, DD, for that matter, in this draft year, are basically a one man show for their respective teams. :mex:

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:35 pm

"The Son of Paul" , wow how crafty ! Not sure but that might even be as cool as " the Cory ". A poster hasn't bombed a message board with this amount of fecal matter since Klitt .
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:39 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:"The Son of Paul" , wow how crafty ! Not sure but that might even be as cool as " the Cory ". A poster hasn't bombed a message board with this amount of fecal matter since Klitt .
It seems like half of your posts are whining about this or that, or PMing me about your concerns. Whether it be on the esteemed Vancouver Sports Media (it seems like you were rejected when you thought you had a chance) ... that .... or you're still bitter the Prattman cut you off a few years back when you called into his show. 8-)

BTW, when you can start a thread that has generated this much discussion, come back and write to me. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:
Betamax wrote:Yeah, but what about the point that best case scenario, Bo turns into a 2C, while best case scenario, The Son Of Paul turns into a 1C. Now it's debatable on what the probabilities on each player turning into their so-called "best case scenario" ..... but it's pretty clear to see at worst, The Son Of Paul is in a group of 4 prospects that will be selected in the TOP 4. The Canucks pick 6 and even if he drops out of the top 4, you don't think the NYI will pick him? :mex:
For one thing, just because some scouts & media parrot something doesn't make it true. How do you know Bo will only be a 2C best case scenerio? Lots can happen in the development process. Look at Mike Peca. What did the scouts say about him when he was drafted. What was his upside and best case scenerio?
Secondly, you need awesome 2nd line centers to do anything so you don't just trade them willy nilly. Maybe Reinhart turns into our 2C and Horvat is 3 - even better! That means we actually have depth. You mentioned Francis, he had his career rejuvenated when he went to Pitt, played w/ Jagr & the point on a PP w/ Lemieux, Coffey etc. So he was a no.1 in the 2 spot on a loaded team. Does that make him a 1b? No way in hell he puts up those numbers if he stayed in Hartford. What about the Flames w/ Niewendyk/Gilmour/Otto? Was Gilmour a 2 or a 1b in the 2 spot? Hindsight is 20/20. He was certainly a 1a in Toronto but would Calgary have traded him for Leeman if they knew his best years were still ahead of him?
I have heard nobody ever claim that Bo will ever be a 1C. He wasn't even that in Junior Hockey.

Furthermore, Bo benefited from playing in a pretty stacked team during his draft year, while The Son of Paul and the other WHL C available, DD, for that matter, in this draft year, are basically a one man show for their respective teams. :mex:
Now you're talking 2 different things. Just because a player isn't always on the top line doesn't make them a no.1 center...or does it? By your logic, which one of Forsberg & Sakic wasn't a no.1 C in Colorado?

Horvat absolutely was a 1C in junior. :mex:
His contribution goes well beyond scoring stats. Some people just don't get that as evidenced throughout this thread.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:"The Son of Paul" , wow how crafty ! Not sure but that might even be as cool as " the Cory ". A poster hasn't bombed a message board with this amount of fecal matter since Klitt .
It seems like half of your posts are whining about this or that, or PMing me about your concerns. Whether it be on the esteemed Vancouver Sports Media (it seems like you were rejected when you thought you had a chance) ... that .... or you're still bitter the Prattman cut you off a few years back when you called into his show. 8-)

BTW, when you can start a thread that has generated this much discussion, come back and write to me. :mex:
Shouldn't you be tuning up for the Odlum Brown open ? As for concerns I have none other than the fact you have 800 posts of pure garbage . Lol your mpd must be making you angry .
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:52 pm

ClamRussel wrote:Now you're talking 2 different things. Just because a player isn't always on the top line doesn't make them a no.1 center...or does it? By your logic, which one of Forsberg & Sakic wasn't a no.1 C in Colorado?

Horvat absolutely was a 1C in junior. :mex:
His contribution goes well beyond scoring stats. Some people just don't get that as evidenced throughout this thread.
Huh? WTF?

Max Domi was their No. 1 centre during Bo's draft year for the London Knights. Unless we have different definition of a 1C .... it is the team's top offensive Centre. Right?

via: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

:mex:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:54 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Shouldn't you be tuning up for the Odlum Brown open ? As for concerns I have none other than the fact you have 800 posts of pure garbage . Lol your mpd must be making you angry .
duh, seriously review your past postings. If you're not complaining about Botchford or any other sports media member, you're complaining about some other thing. You are the true definition of a Negative Nancy. That's what you do. Whine. :mex:

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Shouldn't you be tuning up for the Odlum Brown open ? As for concerns I have none other than the fact you have 800 posts of pure garbage . Lol your mpd must be making you angry .
duh, seriously review your past postings. If you're not complaining about Botchford or any other sports media member, you're complaining about some other thing. You are the true definition of a Negative Nancy. That's what you do. Whine. :mex:

I'm a very positive person. I'm positive you post nothing but drivel . I'm also positive you should do something about the 10 + personalities running around in your dome.

You sir make Mr Cunt look like a good poster.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Betamax wrote:
Blob Mckenzie wrote:Shouldn't you be tuning up for the Odlum Brown open ? As for concerns I have none other than the fact you have 800 posts of pure garbage . Lol your mpd must be making you angry .
duh, seriously review your past postings. If you're not complaining about Botchford or any other sports media member, you're complaining about some other thing. You are the true definition of a Negative Nancy. That's what you do. Whine. :mex:

I'm a very positive person. I'm positive you post nothing but drivel . I'm also positive you should do something about the 10 + personalities running around in your dome.

You sir make Mr Cunt look like a good poster.
duh, if you are going to make false claims then back your comments up with evidence.

What are these "10 + personalities" you say I'm also posting as? Or are you just a lemming here that blindly accepts whatever shit sandwiches is being fed to you? 8-)

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:10 pm

Reading your posts are like shit sandos.

Are you a sad panda ?? :(

Turn that frown upside down :thumbs:

Do you need a cyber hug..... ass out ?
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

User avatar
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP
Posts: 8353
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:27 pm
Location: Ottawa

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Island Nucklehead » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:11 pm

Betamax wrote: 1C .... it is the team's top offensive Centre. Right?

via: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

:mex:
Yes. The teams top offensive centre. Your list is from 2012-13, where Horvat isn't even listed as a centre. 2013-14 has Domi listed as a LW, and this season Horvat WAS the teams best center if one looks at PPG (Horvat was 1.37PPG, Tierney 1.33)...

So, clearly, Bo HAS been a 1C in Junior, as Clam pointed out.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

User avatar
ClamRussel
CC Legend
Posts: 3992
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:50 am
Location: New South Wales, Australia

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by ClamRussel » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:13 pm

Betamax wrote:
ClamRussel wrote:Now you're talking 2 different things. Just because a player isn't always on the top line doesn't make them a no.1 center...or does it? By your logic, which one of Forsberg & Sakic wasn't a no.1 C in Colorado?

Horvat absolutely was a 1C in junior. :mex:
His contribution goes well beyond scoring stats. Some people just don't get that as evidenced throughout this thread.
Huh? WTF?

Max Domi was their No. 1 centre during Bo's draft year for the London Knights. Unless we have different definition of a 1C .... it is the team's top offensive Centre. Right?

via: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

:mex:
So you are saying Joe Sakic, Ron Francis & Doug Gilmour weren't 1C's afterall. :eh:

You have to consider depth before making such declarations. There are many reasons why a player may play on a 2nd line on a strong team or likewise play in the top 6 on a weak team. See Hodgson & Ott in Buffalo.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy

User avatar
Doyle Hargraves
CC Legend
Posts: 16017
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 12:34 pm
Location: Oakalla

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Doyle Hargraves » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:15 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: 1C .... it is the team's top offensive Centre. Right?

via: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

:mex:
Yes. The teams top offensive centre. Your list is from 2012-13, where Horvat isn't even listed as a centre. 2013-14 has Domi listed as a LW, and this season Horvat WAS the teams best center if one looks at PPG (Horvat was 1.37PPG, Tierney 1.33)...

So, clearly, Bo HAS been a 1C in Junior, as Clam pointed out.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14
No to mention Bo gets all the tough matchups , plays pk, pp and a lot heavier minutes compared to Max Domi regardless of postion for Domi. He would be a Toews type player for that team playing in all situations. Domi is an offensive dynamo but has a lot of warts in his game.
“ROR IS OVERRATED, MACKINNON IS A BUM, TAVARES IS DONE”

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:17 pm

Blob Mckenzie wrote:Reading your posts are like shit sandos.

Are you a sad panda ?? :(

Turn that frown upside down :thumbs:

Do you need a cyber hug..... ass out ?
duh, no one forced you to read or click on this thread. It seems to me that it's the most popular thread at the moment, and you're trying to steal away from the Hockey Discussion by your needless thread crapping ... because that's what you do. You could have easily checked out of this thread anytime you want or not even write your snide post to begin with.

But for some reason, you are constantly posting here, steering the discussion away from its original intent for your own selfish reasons. Respect the fact that others here want to discuss a hypothetical scenario that involves Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, and not make it about your own personal petulance and angst towards me.

Thank you. 8-)

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member
Posts: 1359
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:45 pm
Location: @betamax1080p

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by Betamax » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:21 pm

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: 1C .... it is the team's top offensive Centre. Right?

via: http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14

:mex:
Yes. The teams top offensive centre. Your list is from 2012-13, where Horvat isn't even listed as a centre. 2013-14 has Domi listed as a LW, and this season Horvat WAS the teams best center if one looks at PPG (Horvat was 1.37PPG, Tierney 1.33)...

So, clearly, Bo HAS been a 1C in Junior, as Clam pointed out.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stat ... ls_team/14
2012-13 was both his and Max's draft years. Whatever it was listed on the website, it's pretty clear that Bo played Centre during that season as well. Or are you saying that Horvat was purely a winger during his draft year? :mex:

Locked