If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would ya?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If trading Horvat + 6th pick was the only way to acquire the 2014 1st pick, would ya do it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

YES! YES! YES!
18%
NO means NO.
76%
Other (Please explain in post)
6%

Total votes: 49

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by The Brown Knight »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Well... a shit-flinging monkey could make a first overall pick, even the Oilers can do that. As usual, it's the depth picks that make or break teams.
True, but like many have stated in this thread, it's not like Reinhart is the undisputed #1 guy heading into this draft. There's Bennet, Ekblad, Draistl, etc.

The question I have, is why does Benning (a guy, who for all intents and purposes, has established a reputation of sorts for having a strong eye for talent) have a huge hard on for Reinhart? I haven't heard Benning talk about the other guys, nearly as much as he's talked about Reinhart.

I agree with you that depth picks (and developing said depth picks) are extremely important, but it's far easier said than done. Later round picks and late first round picks come with far more risks and unknown's.

If Benning feels that Reinhart has a strong chance of being a franchise center and the next heir apparent to Henrik, then I say make the trade to get him.........even if it means coughing up BoHo.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

If Benning's eye for talent is that great why would you want to take prospects and picks away from him?

All the talent he is being credited with was found outside of the highest picks. Perhaps he sees Horvat in a more positive light than the scouts that have him pegged as a #3 centre. and if he's that good at finding talent we should trust that he can deliver with the #6 pick. With the uncertainty around who the consensus top pick is in this draft it's very likely that the top player come from somewhere outside of the top picks.

So really trading probably our most highly touted prospect and the #6 isn't trusting Benning and his supposed scouting acumen.

When management said that they would likely use the #6 pick perhaps they have someone in mind they are sure will be around at that pick.

Which to me seems to signal that they like Horvat and what will likely be available at #6, which makes it highly unlikely they will trade both for a chance at Reinhart.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

The Brown Knight wrote: If Benning feels that Reinhart has a strong chance of being a franchise center and the next heir apparent to Henrik, then I say make the trade to get him.........even if it means coughing up BoHo.
I would be a tad scared if he felt Reinhart was that good. I don't see anyone saying Reinhart will someday lead the league in scoring or be a future Hart trophy winner. Talk about setting the kid up for failure...

The kid will likely be a great player, but in a draft year where it seems that 1-3 are nearly interchangeable prospects, it seems like a lot to give up...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

The Brown Knight wrote:True, but like many have stated in this thread, it's not like Reinhart is the undisputed #1 guy heading into this draft. There's Bennet, Ekblad, Draistl, etc.
Tards on the internet can say whatever they want.... there is absolutely no fucking way Bennett or Draisatl go 1st overall.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rumsfeld wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote:True, but like many have stated in this thread, it's not like Reinhart is the undisputed #1 guy heading into this draft. There's Bennet, Ekblad, Draistl, etc.
Tards on the internet can say whatever they want.... there is absolutely no fucking way Bennett or Draisatl go 1st overall.
Agreed. I personally think it's going to be either Ekblad or Reinhart.

The point I was trying to make, is that there seems to be a few guys that have been considered as being #1...........and yet Benning (i.e. A guy that has been acknowledged as having a great eye for talent) has a clear laser-focused interest towards Reinhart.

The Dark Indian Rises
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Bennett can't pull his way up to #1.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Hank wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote:
Bennett can't pull his way up to #1.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Island Nucklehead wrote: I would be a tad scared if he felt Reinhart was that good. I don't see anyone saying Reinhart will someday lead the league in scoring or be a future Hart trophy winner. Talk about setting the kid up for failure...
The impression I get from Benning's thoughts on Reinhart, is that Reinhart has a very realistic shot of being a good franchise center........of the Getzlaf/Kopitar/Tavares mold. I don't think Benning or anyone expects Reinhart to be of the Crosby/Stamkos/Malkin/MacKinnon/McDavid mold. Reinhart doesn't have to lead the league in scoring to be considered a solid 1st line franchise center.
The kid will likely be a great player, but in a draft year where it seems that 1-3 are nearly interchangeable prospects, it seems like a lot to give up...
The thing I don't get, is why Benning is so focused on Reinhart........and this is a guy that is known for having a particularly good eye for talent! Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't heard or seen Benning speak anywhere near at length about Ekblad, Draistl, Bennett, etc., as he's done with Reinhart.

Like you said - the kid will likely be a great player. A realistic shot of being a good 1st line center. Finding a good 1st line center in this league is not easy. Solid two-way second line centers are also great to have (such as what Horvat has been projected to be if we're being optimistic), but they are far more readily available than a true first line center.

It seems like a lot to be give up, but as the old saying goes...........no guts, no glory.

The Dark Indian Rises
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:If Benning's eye for talent is that great why would you want to take prospects and picks away from him?
Uh, ever heard of the notion of obtaining quality for quantity?

The Bruins did the reverse of that with the Seguin deal. But that deal showed that GMJB has the balls to be decisive (whether you agree with him or not) and make bold moves. :mex:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: Uh, ever heard of the notion of obtaining quality for quantity?
:hmmm:

Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:
Betamax wrote: Uh, ever heard of the notion of obtaining quality for quantity?
:hmmm:

With Betamax, you get the rare opportunity to experience both. 8-)

BTW, do you have something against another poster here pursuing his dream? :hmmm:

Grab a clue and check the sig. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

The Brown Knight wrote:The thing I don't get, is why Benning is so focused on Reinhart........and this is a guy that is known for having a particularly good eye for talent! Unless I'm mistaken, I haven't heard or seen Benning speak anywhere near at length about Ekblad, Draistl, Bennett, etc., as he's done with Reinhart.

Like you said - the kid will likely be a great player. A realistic shot of being a good 1st line center. Finding a good 1st line center in this league is not easy. Solid two-way second line centers are also great to have (such as what Horvat has been projected to be if we're being optimistic), but they are far more readily available than a true first line center.

It seems like a lot to be give up, but as the old saying goes...........no guts, no glory.
I think it's strong rumor and speculation. I haven't heard GMJB speak a lot about the prospects the times he's been interviewed, to be honest. It's mainly scuttlebutt from social media that he's allegedly the guy they want. It may be a ruse and it's someone else like Ekblad or the DD is the player they really want. We shall see. :mex:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Canucks interested in Sam Reinhart; should they trade for the first overall pick to get him?

Don't know if this has been posted yet but a decent assessment of this years draft and where the Canucks stand. And where the speculation of Benning wanting Reinhart stems. Sounds like he'd be willing to move up to get him, just depends on the price. Also sounds as though he likes Horvat's potential.

Which really does make me wonder why we ever take anything Botchford says and hold any weight to it at all.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Aaronp18 wrote: Which really does make me wonder why we ever take anything Botchford says and hold any weight to it at all.

But... but ... but... Betamax/GM/Farhan/BrownKnight/Sock Dynasty /finger puppet said so ap. I mean guys like the "Real Brook Ward" , , the "Botch" , the "Eklund" , and guys like " The Kuze" are phenomenal sources .Pierre Mcguire would be a great coach as 14 socks will attest. :lol:
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Blob Mckenzie wrote:
Aaronp18 wrote: Which really does make me wonder why we ever take anything Botchford says and hold any weight to it at all.

But... but ... but... Betamax/GM/Farhan/BrownKnight/Sock Dynasty /finger puppet said so ap. I mean guys like the "Real Brook Ward" , , the "Botch" , the "Eklund" , and guys like " The Kuze" are phenomenal sources .Pierre Mcguire would be a great coach as 14 socks will attest. :lol:
Contrary to what your father and/or your dog might think, I am not Betamax or any other sock. I only post as The Brown Knight.

Mods - please verify?

The Dark Indian Rises