If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would ya?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

If trading Horvat + 6th pick was the only way to acquire the 2014 1st pick, would ya do it?

Poll ended at Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:43 am

YES! YES! YES!
18%
NO means NO.
76%
Other (Please explain in post)
6%

Total votes: 49

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: If it took Horvat + 6th to acquire 2014 1st pick, would

Post by The Brown Knight »

Boston Canucker wrote:
Good point. Horvat is very likely in the top 5 mix this year if we compare the drafts. I get the interest in trading for Reinhart, no argument from me, but I don't get the repeated insistence by some on including Horvat in such a deal. It seems to have been somehow implanted in some posters' minds that this is the only way it could be done, and no one has explained why...it seems a rumor or two about a possible trade idea has been transformed into the only possible trade idea. Makes no sense.
Obviously - if it doesn't require us to move Horvat, then we don't do it.

If Horvat is the main piece being asked of however, I think you pull the trigger.

Again - it's all about "calculated risk", and anything can happen, but I cannot see Bo Horvat being a franchise center in this league. With Reinhart, given his skill-set, I think he can.

No pain. No glory.

15 years ago, on the day I graduated highschool nonetheless, Burke took a "calculated risk" and acquired the twins. 15 years later, I hope Benning does the same thing.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

ClamRussel wrote: No wonder you want to give up Horvat + the 6th, you think Reinhart is the next Sakic or Toews. .
I don't think anyone has said that on here if I'm not mistake.

NO ONE is putting Reinhart in the same weight class as Sakic, Toews, Crosby, and McDavid/MacKinnon/Eichel.

What most people are saying however, including me, is that Reinhart has a very strong chance of being as good as guys like Kopitar, Getzlaf, Lecavlier (in this prime), etc.

When guys like that are available, you bite the boner and make the move..........even if it involves trading a Bo Horvat who could realistically end up being as good as a Mike Richards.

Mike Richards + 6th overall for Anze Kopitar or Ryan Getzlaf.

WOULD YOU DO IT.

The Dark Indian Rises
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

The Brown Knight wrote: Mike Richards + 6th overall for Anze Kopitar or Ryan Getzlaf.

WOULD YOU DO IT.
It's not a fair comparison. You have the ability of hindsight.

And looking at that list that Masturbetamax used to disprove his own theory, rarely is the first overall the top centre in Stanley Cup Champion teams as of late.

It's about stockpiling young players and having depth. By trading away two potential top six players for the potential of one we weaken our chances of attaining top six talent. And we without question weaken our chance at quality and depth throughout the lineup!

Get SamH but not at the expense of Horvat and the 6th.
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

I understand that Reinhart is a good center, but he isn't the best center in the draft. I think that is either Draisital or Nylander. Even Bennett is listed ahead of Reinhart by Hockey News. The Red Line Report calls Nylander insanely talented and possibly he could be the best of this draft. Bennett has been called a heart and soul player. As there is no consensus #1, it all boils down to is who you think is best. So why trade two top 10's for potentially the 4th best center in this draft?! The only people who seem to think Reinhart is even a true number one center are Betamax, Skyo and The Brown Knight! So I'll ask you three, how many games have you seen Reinhart play? How many have you seen Bennett, Draisital or Nylander play? What makes you so sure that they aren't better than Reinhart? The people who do this for a living can't even agree so why are you so sure?

As I have previously stated it all starts with the Kesler trade to Anaheim for either Bonino or Etem and the 10th. Then you keep the 6th and grab Nylander and Vertanin. That is how to start the foundation of a winner. You don't give up depth and youth for a single player.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Nylander looks like a 13 year old girl. There's a good chance he gets crushed in the NHL, and an even better chance he'll be ineffective.

Bennet is so heart and soul he can't do one fucking pull-up.

Draisatle I like, but Reinhart has been better. Period.

Just because a few scouts don't have him #1 doesn't mean he won't go #1. It's rare that EVERYONE agrees on a clear number one. Remember Taylor vs. Tyler?

Reinhart will go first out of all the forwards because he IS the consensus best forward in the draft.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:
The Brown Knight wrote: Mike Richards + 6th overall for Anze Kopitar or Ryan Getzlaf.

WOULD YOU DO IT.

And looking at that list that Masturbetamax used to disprove his own theory, rarely is the first overall the top centre in Stanley Cup Champion teams as of late.

It's about stockpiling young players and having depth. By trading away two potential top six players for the potential of one we weaken our chances of attaining top six talent. And we without question weaken our chance at quality and depth throughout the lineup!

Uh, what the HELL did I ever do to you to be disrespected like that? :hmmm:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote:[
Uh, what the HELL did I ever do to you to be disrespected like that? :hmmm:
It's a numbers game. :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Mondi wrote:I'd say there is a good to great chance we'll be picking in the top 10 again next year.
Ssssssshhhhh...a lot of folks here are still floating on cloud 2011, no need to wake them up to the harsh reality of the Canucks current situation

"We need to stop talking about 2011" - Torterella

All kidding aside, the Canucks are a long ways away from respectability. Benning has his hands full, the mess Gillis left him is fucking brutal
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

RoyalDude wrote:
Mondi wrote:I'd say there is a good to great chance we'll be picking in the top 10 again next year.
Ssssssshhhhh...a lot of folks here are still floating on cloud 2011, no need to wake them up to the harsh reality of the Canucks current situation

All kidding aside, the Canucks are a long ways away from respectability. Benning has his hands full, the mess Gillis left him is fucking brutal
I don't think they are as bad as their play was last season. I put most of the blame on the system and player deployment by the idiot coaching staff that was in charge last season. :mex:
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Betamax wrote:
RoyalDude wrote:

I don't think they are as bad as their play was last season. I put most of the blame on the system and player deployment by the idiot coaching staff that was in charge last season. :mex:
Stop it
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Aaronp18 wrote:

WOULD YOU DO IT.

Well, Aaron, you missed the point -- if the Canucks' identify The Son of Paul as the player most likely to be a Franchise C in this draft, i.e. in the Ron Franchise or rather Francis/Hank quality, then they are taking a chance if they think he will not be the 1st pick taken by whatever team that holds that pick.

If he's the guy they want and he somehow manages to drop to 6th overall, then when they say "I can't believe he was still on the board" ... that would sound authentic.

Virtually every credible scouting service has him as a top 3/4 pick. Name me one, just one, credible scouting service that thinks he will drop further. The Canucks pick 6th. Somehow the numbers don't add up here.

If they can only move up to 3 or 4 to pick, him great. But from all accounts I doubt their division rivals, EDM or CAL will be willing trade partners who would likely pick him if he's still on the board. So you're looking at moving up to 1 or 2 (if he's still there). :mex:
Aaronp18
MVP
MVP

Post by Aaronp18 »

Betamax wrote: Well, Aaron, you missed the point
No, I get what you're spewing.

So every credible source has him as a top 3/4 pick. Doesn't sound like a consensus first line centre to me! Therefore, IMO, he isn't worth two top 10 picks.

And again, one first line centre doesn't win you a cup. You've proven yourself that it takes depth and talent. By dropping two potential top 6 players for one we lose some depth up front. Something that we've been suffering with for the past few years!

We deal from strength and offer one of our second tier defenseman (of which we have 4-5 of) and the 6th, maybe sweeten the pot with other role players or lesser picks. If it takes more than that the deal isn't worth it IMO.
Skintag Necklace
CC Rookie

Post by Skintag Necklace »

Horvat and Tanev I would trade for the 1st pick and we keep our 6th.

Horvat and no 6 no way, however I would trade Tanev and the pick.
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

No need to deal Bo but this team should be trying everything they can to get number 1. Rheino is a future top end centre . Not a top 5 centreman in the NHL moving forward but a guy who can play big minutes and anchor a top line. Tanev and the pick should get the deal done. Throw in 36 ( the pick or the player) if you have to, especially if Benning can get another first rounder for Kesler.

The Canucks need top end talent and this is the easiest draft in recent memoryto obatin a top 4 pick. There are very good players in the top 5 or 6 and three of them are centres, a postion the Canucks are sorely lacking in.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Aaronp18 wrote: And looking at that list that Masturbetamax used to disprove his own theory, rarely is the first overall the top centre in Stanley Cup Champion teams as of late.

It's about stockpiling young players and having depth.
I see what you're saying, but I think we can both agree on the fact that Stanley Cup winning teams (even as of late) have atleast ONE (1) franchise center in their line-up.........maybe even TWO (2).

-Anze Kopitar/Jeff Carter
-Jonathan Toews
-David Kreijki

And yes, many franchise centers aren't the first overall pick, and have often been drafted anywhere in drafts, but the risk increases EXPONENTIALLY once someone makes a draft selection from 6th/7th overall downwards.

While you don't necessarily need Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, or Steve Stamkos as your first line center to win a Stanley Cup, you do need a solid franchise center.......possibly even two. Guys like Anze Kopitar, David Kreijki, Ryan Getzlaf, etc.

There's no way around it.

The question you have to ask yourself, is if you think Bo Horvat can realistically get to the level of a Kopitar, Kreijki, Getzlaf, etc................or, would a guy like Sam Reinhart likelier have a better shot in doing so?

Again - it's all about calculated risk, and nothing is guaranteed, but I think a betting man would think that Horvat will be a 2nd line center at BEST in the mold of a Mike Richards (i.e. an excellent two-way center, but not quite good enough to be THE #1 center on a Cup contending team).

Having depth is great, but a team needs to make sure that it has its core franchise players first. Once you have an established core consisting of......

-A Franchise Center (complimented by either an excellent 2nd line center and/or a 1st line winger)
-A Franchise defenseman that can realistically be paired up with another solid but steady defenseman to form one of the best defensive pairings in the league
-A Top tier goalie

Then you can start striving for depth via good cap management, drafting, etc.

The LA Kings and Chicago Blackhawks are literally a textbook example of what I'm talking about.

The Dark Indian Rises