Canucks Goaltending Issue

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Canucks Goaltending Issue

Post by Strangelove »

dangler wrote:Sounds like alot of people are assuming Miller won't shit the bed or get injured.
Wouldn't be surprised if they keep Markstrom around just in case
Nah, we'd have Lack... backed up by Eriksson.

And Markstrom has asked for a trade.
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benning said today that Markstrom has not requested a trade and that he is expected to be at camp (as per Elliott Pap on Twitter).

Is it really an inevitability that Markstrom would get picked up on waivers? He is a $1.2M goalie with a career .896 save percentage who is not exempt from waivers.

There seems to be a glut of goalies these days, and any team who claimed Markstrom would have to be prepared to carry him on their NHL roster.

I doubt he has much trade value. I'd almost be tempted to hold onto him and hope he clears waivers. Maybe you carry three goaltenders to start the year and try to time when you send Markstrom down to when the team's you think might claim him would be unable to for roster reasons.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

No, according to Botchford, by signing Miller and drafting Demko, the Canucks have not only insulted Lack but they have how forced Markstrom to ask for a trade. Why would you believe Benning now after what he has done!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
The only HW the Canucks need
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Benning also re-signed RFA Joe Cannata.

What a slap in the face to Miller, Lack, Markstrom and Eriksson!

That Benning...such a prick.
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

herb wrote:Benning said today that Markstrom has not requested a trade and that he is expected to be at camp (as per Elliott Pap on Twitter).

Is it really an inevitability that Markstrom would get picked up on waivers? He is a $1.2M goalie with a career .896 save percentage who is not exempt from waivers.

There seems to be a glut of goalies these days, and any team who claimed Markstrom would have to be prepared to carry him on their NHL roster.

I doubt he has much trade value. I'd almost be tempted to hold onto him and hope he clears waivers. Maybe you carry three goaltenders to start the year and try to time when you send Markstrom down to when the team's you think might claim him would be unable to for roster reasons.
Good point, with vet goalies who have proven they can be #1s, like Brodeur, Thomas, and Bryzgalov (sure, each have their issues, but they are way better bets than Markstrom), it is far from a foregone conclusion that a team would jump at JM at 1.2 million. Maybe some team would, but no sure thing for sure.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

The best case scenario is that Markstrom clears waivers and provides a solid tandem in Utica along with Eriksson for the youngsters.

If Markstrom doesn't clear, is anybody really going to be all that upset that we missed out on getting a 4th round pick or whatever for him?

Like I said, there is a glut of goalies. It wouldn't surprise me if he cleared.

47 games played
12 wins
27 losses
.896 SV%
3.19 GAA

Not a beautiful stat line. No it isn't.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

While we're at it...

John Weisbrod just slapped Gilman in the face. Doug Lidster will be slapping Glen Gulutzan in the face real soon.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Hank wrote:While we're at it...

John Weisbrod just slapped Gilman in the face. Doug Lidster will be slapping Glen Gulutzan in the face real soon.

It's actually Henning he slapped not Gilman, but I quibble, I quibble.
The only HW the Canucks need
Boston Canucker
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Boston Canucker »

Good move, we got Weisbord just in time to get in on recruiting Lebron James. He'd put us over the top...not 1, not 2, not 3...fuck, I'll take 1, a measly 1, please!!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hockey Widow wrote:

Yeah, Gilman still seems to be involved based upon video clips on CDC.

He was also front and center (literally) at the draft.

Being heavily involved at the draft doesn't pass the smell test of a guy who is on the outs. I don't recall seeing Henning...

Gilman has always been the team budget and contract negotiations guy, not to mention he is an expert at navigating the CBA and salary cap.

Henning was always the talent and player evaluation guy. My guess is he got his pink slip (poor bugger).

Hank, you do know that there are typically multiple assistant coaches, right? I would guess Lidster would coach the defense.
Carl Yagro
MVP
MVP

Post by Carl Yagro »

Hockey Widow wrote:
I just got a picture in my mind of Weisbrod, Gilman and Henning slapping each other like the Three Stooges. Lol I'm cracking myself up :lol:
herb wrote: Hank, you do know that there are typically multiple assistant coaches, right? I would guess Lidster would coach the defense.
Herb, I do realize this. I was just trying to continue the mocking of Gaggheller and Bitchford's ridiculously negative articles.
The Best GD Canucks Hockey Talk Forum in the World... With Only 18 People!
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Hank wrote:Herb, I do realize this. I was just trying to continue the mocking of Gaggheller and Bitchford's ridiculously negative articles.
Woooosh that went over my head bud! :D