Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our core)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Re: Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our c

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:Biggest mistake of GMMG's tenure here.

He also shouldn't have let his core players decide whether or not to keep Torres.
Yeah the Torres story sounded like bullshit to me.

In a few years the Sedin extensions might be considered Gillis' biggest error.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:Yeah the Torres story sounded like bullshit to me.

In a few years the Sedin extensions might be considered Gillis' biggest error.
Bullshit as in not true or a stupid reason to not make an offer to Torres?

The Sedin's will bounce back somewhat, but yeah, their new contract is never going to look great IMO. That being said, Hank will be getting paid near the going rate for elite centers. Keeping our two best players ever around until they retire is worth something to this sentimental fan.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Let's talk about how Doc "never been wrong" Strangelove (lol) didn't want to re-sign Ehroff after 2011 instead.
Yeah no, I was just kidding about that, bro.

LOL, said I wanted him replaced with a "BEAST" dee, someone said "who?", I replied "Shea Weber". :lol:

Yeah no, if I were EVER wrong about anything, surely I'd have lost a bet somewhere along the line.

Funny as hell + never wrong = The Great Strangelove must deal with a lot of jealous posters.

A "cross to bear"?

Sure.

But it's worth it to be The Great Strangelove amirite? :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Mondi wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Boom.

Even more impressive when one considers that Rask has played his entire career on the best defensive team in the league and behind the two best defensive players in the game (Chara and Bergeron).
"Best defensive team in the league" MY SWEET HAIRY ASS!! :lol:

UMMM... your lil buddy Panic Attack plays on "the best defensive team in the league"...

Namely: Your New Jersey Devils!

In a 1a/1b situation with a 42-year-old!! Image

Also Bruins + Canucks have been similar as far as Team Defense (shots against).

And yet... somehow... Rask is a year younger and has 47 TIMES AS MANY playoff wins. :shock:

Yeah no, Cory Stinking Schneider does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Tuukka Money Rask.

Bro. :mex:
There is no way the Devils are the best defensive team in the league...they missed the playoffs and 8 team allowed fewer goals.
UMMMMM.... New Jersey allowed the fewest shots against in the NHL last season.

As a matter of fact they have finished 1st or 2nd in that category for FIVE STRAIGHT YEARS!!

Yeah no, Panic Attack played on "the best defensive team in the league".

... and was the second-best goalie on that team in terms of wins.

Second-best to a 42-year-old!!! :lol:

BTW the Devils wouldn't have "missed the playoffs" if Schneids had as good of a winning% as Brodeur.

Brodeur wins a lot of games because he inspires confidence, the dude never panics no matter what.

Yeah, one might say the most important part of being an "elite" goaltender is to never panic...
Mondi wrote: It all comes down to whether you think a goalie outside the top 4, but inside the top 10 as elite.
Gotta love the direction you are moving!! :lol:

How long until you re-re-re-define "elite" as "an NHL goaltender"? :mex:

Last edited by Strangelove on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:
Rumsfeld wrote: Let's talk about how Doc "never been wrong" Strangelove (lol) didn't want to re-sign Ehroff after 2011 instead.
Yeah no, I was just kidding about that, bro.

GODDAMMIT DOC!!!

Now I'M the one who's mad bro!!
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:Bullshit as in not true or a stupid reason to not make an offer to Torres?
Bullshit as in not true, herbage.

You know, seeing as HW's source is Darren Dreger. :crazy:
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Yeah it's tough to be Strangelove. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote:You know, seeing as HW's source is Darren Dreger. :crazy:
Who knowz brah.

Either way, I miss Torpedo Torres... :cry:
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

Rumsfeld wrote:
herb wrote:Bullshit as in not true or a stupid reason to not make an offer to Torres?
Bullshit as in not true, herbage.

You know, seeing as HW's source is Darren Dreger. :crazy:

Hey I resemble that! Please give me a better source. That one makes my skin crawl.

Over here Russia is all a glow still about the World's gold. Kinda funny. How many Russians in the finals?

Be back tomorrow just in time to clean up this place! A lot of digression been going on around here. I'll work on some rumours on the plane ride home :D
The only HW the Canucks need
Canuck-One
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Canuck-One »

/\ /\ /\ Thank you HW ! It's been so slow we have been reduced to useless chatter.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Rinne and Weber for Lack, Kesler, every single prospect

Post by The Brown Knight »

The Brown Knight wrote:Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our core)

I haven't been following the Canucks' media much, but I hope the rumors of Linden and Benning being committed to this core isn't true........and that it's merely a smoke screen for the media:
An unrealistic idea that has no chance of happening, but that I wanted to throw out there anyways.

My thought is that if Linden and Benning still believe in this current Canucks' core, and actually want to try and do something with this current core.................then we need to go balls out. Don't just commit to this core with the idea of generating 1st round playoff revenue before tasting the cock of a California based team in the first round. Doing this leaves you neither here nor there.

I would much rather see the Canucks commit to a rebuild, but Linden and Benning might feel differently.

If that's the case, then I propose the following:

-To Nashville: Kesler, Edler, Lack, every single one of our top prospects, and our 2014 and 2015 first rounders)
-To Vancouver: Rinne, Weber.

((we bank on the fact that both Kesler and Edler waive their NTC's/NMC's to go to Nashville since the Preds would now be absolutely loaded with solid prospects and would likely have a solid future core in place).

If we have enough cap space, we then try and make a serious run at Paul Stastny so that him and Kassian can anchor a strong second line. If not Paul Stastny, then another guy who can fit the role of second line center well.

With the acquisition of Rinne and Weber (at the expense of our entire farm and our next two first rounders), we would once again have a goalie that could possibly be a Top 3 goalie in the league when playing well (Rinne), along with a Franchise defenseman (Weber). Hamhuis and Weber could realistically a Top 3 defensive pairing in the league.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
xxxx-FREE AGENT-Kassian
xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx

Hamhuis-Weber
Tanev-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado

Rinne
Markstrom

The Canucks extend their realistic hope of a window for another 4 years. When the twins' contracts expire after 4 years, we hope and pray that our 2016 draft picks are ready to crack the roster.

Again - not something I'd do, and definitely not something that would ever happen, but this is just my thought/idea of what I think Benning/Linden should do if they have any hopes or aspirations in seeing this core compete for a cup. Literally go balls out.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
Meds
MVP
MVP

Re: Rinne and Weber for Lack, Kesler, every single prospect

Post by Meds »

The Brown Knight wrote: Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
xxxx-FREE AGENT-Kassian
xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx
xxxx-xxxxx-xxxxxx

Hamhuis-Weber
Tanev-Bieksa
Stanton-Corrado

Rinne
Markstrom
So we are a contender based on goaltending, one upgrade on defense (albeit a whopper of an upgrade), and then absolutely nothing below our top-3 forwards and the 2nd line winger.

Take one of Doughty or Quick off of the Kings and I think they are still where they are right now. Take both and it's a different story of course.

BTW, I do like the idea of acquiring Rinne and Weber.....like it alot.
The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Re: Rinne and Weber for Lack, Kesler, every single prospect

Post by The Brown Knight »

Mëds wrote: So we are a contender based on goaltending, one upgrade on defense (albeit a whopper of an upgrade), and then absolutely nothing below our top-3 forwards and the 2nd line winger.
Not exactly. Rinne and Weber would certainly go along way obviously in helping us now, but a few more things would still need to fall in place:

[*]Kassian would need to elevate his game to the next level (something that I think he will do)
[*]With the void of Kesler, the Canucks will need to find a new second line center during this 4 year "new window" (either via free agency, or we get really lucky and one of our late round picks becomes worthy of said role).

My hope is that the elevated play of Kassian + our new second line center (a Paul Stastny type) would give the Canucks two co#1 lines.

Obviously, none of this is going to occur in this reality, but I just want to point out what I would try and personally do if I was the GM and I still had aspirations in seeing this current core win a cup.

Linden/Benning seem to want to take a more 'balanced' approach (i.e. mindful for the current core and mindful for the future), whereas I want to take a more aggressive approach in catering to our next core.

I think if we go the route of what Linden/Benning seem to have in mind, then this Canuck team will very likely be a 7th-9th place team in the Western Conference over the next few years and will be more gradual in shifting from our current core to our next core. A more conservative approach. Although there are more risks involved, I'd just rather see us take a far more aggressive stance whether it's going in the direction of a rebuild OR a direction to cater to our current core.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises