Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our core)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

The Brown Knight
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by The Brown Knight »

I haven't been following the Canucks' media much, but I hope the rumors of Linden and Benning being committed to this core isn't true........and that it's merely a smoke screen for the media:

If things were up to me, Kesler and Edler would both be gonzo.

-Kesler to Anaheim for Emerson Etem, Shea Theodore, and a low end pick. Hell - even just Emerson and Theodore would probably be good enough for me.

-Edler and our 6th overall pick to Florida for their pick.........and then we knab Sam Reinhart.

Now granted - Reinhart likely won't be able to hold McDavid's or Eichel's jockstrap, but the guy will still be a pretty good 1st line center in my opinion. I'd be pretty happy if we had Reinhart and Horvat as a future 1-2 punch combo.

So - with Kesler gone and Edler gone, the Canucks "naturally" take a massive shit this coming season and finish in the bottom 6.............maybe more.

In a perfect Hindu world, we finish deadlast so that we can draft McDavid or Eichel (side note - is it just me, or does anyone else think that Eichel might actually be BETTER than McDavid?!?! Not joking here). Even if we don't get one of those guys, I think the 2015 draft is deep enough to the point where we'd still land a pretty damned good player even if we finish in the bottom 10.

And there you have it: Sam Reinhart, Emerson Etem, Shea Theodore, Zack Kassian, Hunter Shinkaruk, Nick Jensen, Brendan Gaunce, Chris Tanev, Frank Corrado, Eddie Lack,..........+ our 2015 draft pick. Badda Bing Badda Boom. Our next core. Keep Sedin twins, Burrows, Hamhuis, and Bieksa for veteran leadership as to avoid becoming like the Florida Panthers and Edmonton Oilers (i.e. a bunch of kids taking on roles that they shouldn't be taking on). Anyone else that is 27 and over can be moved.

THAT's the way Benning and Linden should be doing things:

None of this dinkstink nonsense about signing Paul Stastny, or bringing in a guy like Vanek to play with Kesler's nut sack.

Linden and Benning better not be serious about believing in this current core. This core is FINISHED. Period.

Playing "up tempo" style of hockey is great, and having a full healthy line-up this year probably would get us into the playoffs............but there's no way this core gets passed the first or 2nd round. There's no doubt talent wise, but mentally, this team never recovered from 2011. MOVE ON.
"I post the Brown Way" ~ Connor McHindu"

The Dark Indian Rises
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Re: Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our c

Post by SKYO »

Oh shit TBK is back.

imo Kesler won't get that much probably a 1st rounder, 2nd, prospect....meh better off keeping him if thats the case.

Better to get rid of long timers who are slightly overpaid and redundant like Burrows, Hansen, Booth, and Edler.

Ultra core: Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Bieksa.

Rest of the players should all be open for trade for the betterment of the Canucks as this team needs a shakeup for sure.

Trading - Burrows, Edler, Hansen, buyout Booth, and UFA - I hope to fill some of the team needs that include:

A top 6 LW

QB dman right side.

Goalie - I don't have much hope for Lack and Marky, together that will lead to a lot of losses next season, lots of shitty deflating goals, they will get demolished by the Kings, Hawks, Ducks and Sharks.
Hoping for Miller.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

The Brown Knight wrote: Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our core)
If you can't trust your President and GM, who can you trust?

“This is a team we can turn around quickly.” – Jim Benning :thumbs:
The Brown Knight wrote: -Edler and our 6th overall pick to Florida for their pick.........and then we knab Sam Reinhart.
This was something I suggested a while back.

And it seems in line with the kind of splash I imagine Linden/Benning would like to make.

Lately I've been thinking I'd like to switch Edler out for Garrison.

I was reading about how Garrison's first choice was the Cats, 2nd choice was the Canucks.

However the Cats owners at the time were going the cheapskate route.

So Garrison went with his 2nd choice, your Vancouver Canucks.

There were rumours other teams were offering more $$.

As always, one never knows how much stock to put in rumours, but these pass the sniff test at least.

Yeah, so I'm guessing Garrison would place Florida at #1 on his list of teams for which he would waive.

And from what I read on Panther boards, they would love to have him back.

He was magic with Brian Campbell and the new owners are opening the purse strings.

I could see this as a WIN-WIN-WIN-WIN trade all around.

As far as Kesler, it looks to me like it's totally up to HIM.

I believe Linden/Benning will try to talk him into staying with promises of bringing in an established top-6 winger.

If he still wants out, I believe Linden/Benning will trade him (hopefully for a Schenn-like centre).

Personally I hope they keep Kesler and acquire Reinhart.

Horvat and Reinhart could SLOWLY ascend the depth chart while Hank and Kesler descend.

As for Kesler's winger, I've still got a boner for Evander, but not sure if we have the chips necessary.

Gaunce + Hansen + ???

I don't think players with NTCs would waive for Winnipeg, so the ??? would have to be a top prospect/pick.

I don't really want to give up any other top prospects, so I think it would have to be a high pick(s).

Our second-rounder this year wouldn't be enough in that package.

So yeah, I've gotta go with our #1 pick in 2015.

Yup I know pretty much everyone here is going to HATE that suggestion, but you've got to give to get.

And it's probably STILL not a good enough package to land Kane.

But the reality of the situation is we are NOT going to get a sniff at McDavid/Eichel.

And even in a deep draft we are ridiculously unlikely to land a player of Kane's caliber.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows/Jensen
Kane - Kesler - Kassian

.... with prospects Horvat/Reinhart/Fox/Shinkaruk/Cassels trying to push their way up for the next few years.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

If Kesler wants out or won't commit he's likely gone. Move him for the best deal you can (Etem+10th).

In a couple years we could be looking at:

Sedin-Sedin-Jensen
Etem-Horvat-Shinkaruk
Kassian-Gaunce-Ritchie
Hansen-Mathias-Virtanen

Good luck to opposing d-men when that 3rd line is out there...
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

I would shit my pants if we landed Evander Kane.

Who gives a fuck if he has an attitude, the kid's a stud.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:I would shit my pants if we landed Evander Kane.

Would you give up our 2015 1st round pick?
____
Try to focus on someday.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote:

Not if we tankin' playa.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote:
Strangelove wrote:

Not if we tankin' playa.
Yes but we would only trade that pick if we were getting Kane and Kes was on board.

That kind of trade would no doubt spur on other must-make-the-playoffs moves as well.
____
Try to focus on someday.
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

[quote="Strangelove"]

Yes but we would only trade that pick if we were getting Kane and Kes was on board.

That kind of trade would no doubt spur on other must-make-the-playoffs moves as well.[/quote]

I would be OK with that as long as Kassian played on the line with Kane and Kesler. It would be a fast,tough and mean line with the most offensive name in hockey.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Would Kane play on the Klan line?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
BladesofSteel
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BladesofSteel »

Strangelove wrote:Gaunce + Hansen + ???

I don't think players with NTCs would waive for Winnipeg, so the ??? would have to be a top prospect/pick.
Hansen lives in the 'Peg in the off-season. :thumbs:
Mr.Miyagi
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Mr.Miyagi »

Topper wrote:Would Kane play on the Klan line?
Hmmmm...never thought of that? Damn that would be a nice mix of talent though.
In Okinawa, all Miyagi know two things: hockey and karate.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Strangelove wrote:As for Kesler's winger, I've still got a boner for Evander, but not sure if we have the chips necessary.

Gaunce + Hansen + ???

LOL ... Gaunce as the main piece ... would mean an instant hang up by the Jets if Benning makes that "offer."

Maybe Horvat plus the 2014 sixth overall pick and Hansen for Kane and their 2014 second round back might get them interested. :mex:
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Betamax wrote:
Strangelove wrote:As for Kesler's winger, I've still got a boner for Evander, but not sure if we have the chips necessary.

Gaunce + Hansen + ???

LOL ... Gaunce as the main piece ... would mean an instant hang up by the Jets if Benning makes that "offer."

Maybe Horvat plus the 2014 sixth overall pick and Hansen for Kane and their 2014 second round back might get them interested. :mex:
NOW, if it's just Gaunce + Hansen + the 2014 sixth overall pick for the Real Deal, the Canucks Management team would be like this IMO:

Tell me I'm wrong. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Sat May 31, 2014 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diehard1
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Diehard1 »

Betamax wrote:

Gaunce + Hansen + ???

Since when did Evander Kane become Patrick Kane? We are talking about a guy who is paid big dollars, was a healthy scratch last year on a shitty team, and has hit 30 goals one time. He hasn't even hit 20 in any of his other seasons, and is a consistent 45 point guy. Horvat, 6th and Hansen? Must be some great stuff you are smoking.

Even without the attitude issues he's a solid but unspectacular player. Giving up two top 10 picks and a good 3rd liner for 1 second liner is a great way to screw up a couple of years of development and get a GM fired.