Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our core)

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Re: Linden and Benning better not be serious here (re: our c

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Well, they didn't exactly welcome him back to compete for the starter's role when he was, uh, ready to return. :mex:
Actually he became a UFA after his one-year sabbatical. :mex:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Betamax wrote: Well, The Cory beat out Canada's number two goalie for the starting NHL job last season. So that needs to be a significant factor in the discussion, IMO. :mex:
And yet he couldn't even crack his own Olympic team this season.

And people here are saying Luongo is not an elite goalie. So that tells me that "The Cory" (whatever the fuck that is) is better than a non-elite goalie (ie tells me nothing). Just because he's better than a non-elite goalie, does not make him elite.

The fact that, in a lockout season spring to the playoffs, he still only started 63% of the games, tells me that he is not, and has never been, a workhorse number 1 goalie at the NHL level. For me, that is one criteria for being an elite goalie.

Nothing says Schneider can't or won't get there, but I don't think he's there yet. Until he puts up great numbers while playing around 60 games per season, he won't be "elite" in my eyes. In 2 out of the last 3 years he's been very comparable to (or even slightly outplayed by) Brian Elliot, who most would not consider an elite-level NHL goalie because he just doesn't start enough games.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote: Well, The Cory beat out Canada's number two goalie for the starting NHL job last season. So that needs to be a significant factor in the discussion, IMO. :mex:
Uh, kind of hard to "crack" his own Olympics team when you had some washed up, has been Goalie and future HOFer that has the ear of management and was declared the de facto number one before the season began [no open competition] and got starts based on reputation and past performance that took away ice time away from The Cory to display his talents. :mex:
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Strangelove wrote: Yeah no, Cory Stinking Schneider does not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Tuukka Money Rask.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Betamax wrote:Uh, kind of hard to "crack" his own Olympics team when you had some washed up, has been Goalie and future HOFer that has the ear of management and was declared the de facto number one before the season began [no open competition] and got starts based on reputation and past performance that took away ice time away from The Cory to display his talents. :mex:
You mad bro? Got somethin' against one of the best goalies ever?

Those are excuses. You brought up him outplaying an Olympic goalie in a prior season, going so far as saying that deserved consideration for his "elite" status. One would think an elite goalie would be named to his own Olympic team.

Do you think his 5-8-5 record (only 18 GP) up until January had something to do with their decision? Do you think Marty Brodeur going 12-8-3 over the same span had anything to do with it?

Just win, baby. Cory needs to do more of that before he moves into the top-tier category of NHL starting goaltenders. Will he get there? I think he will. But saying he's already there, when the "washed up has been" is winning more games for their team, might be a tad premature.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Island Nucklehead wrote:

And people here are saying Luongo is not an elite goalie. So that tells me that "The Cory" (whatever the fuck that is) is better than a non-elite goalie (ie tells me nothing). Just because he's better than a non-elite goalie, does not make him elite.

The fact that, in a lockout season spring to the playoffs, he still only started 63% of the games, tells me that he is not, and has never been, a workhorse number 1 goalie at the NHL level. For me, that is one criteria for being an elite goalie.

Nothing says Schneider can't or won't get there, but I don't think he's there yet. Until he puts up great numbers while playing around 60 games per season, he won't be "elite" in my eyes. In 2 out of the last 3 years he's been very comparable to (or even slightly outplayed by) Brian Elliot, who most would not consider an elite-level NHL goalie because he just doesn't start enough games.
Schneider was stuck behind Roberto Luongo and now Martin Brodeur, hard to make a name for yourself when your stuck behind those behemoth vets...so while playing backup it's not hard to see why Team USA went for the #1 goalies for their teams, Howard(#1goalie on contending team) :D /Miller(elite vet goalie)/Quick.

You can't forget that the team played great when Schneider was in net here, he was calm/cool under fire and thrived, I don't see why he wouldn't continue that dominance if he were to return.

Plus NJ sucks.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
BurningBeard
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by BurningBeard »

SKYO wrote:he was calm/cool under fire and thrived
Except when he was experiencing panic attacks, correct. :mrgreen:
Every time I look out my window, same three dogs looking back at me.
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

SKYO wrote:Schneider was stuck behind Roberto Luongo and now Martin Brodeur, hard to make a name for yourself when your stuck behind those behemoth vets...so while playing backup it's not hard to see why Team USA went for the #1 goalies for their teams, Howard(cup champ)/Miller(elite vet goalie)/Quick.

You can't forget that the team played great when Schneider was in net here, he was calm/cool under fire and thrived, I don't see why he wouldn't continue that dominance if he were to return.

Plus NJ sucks.
If he's "playing backup", is he elite? I would consider "elite" to being one of the top-5 goalies going. Schneider didn't even win the most games for the Devils this season.

Some folks are saying he's an elite goalie right now, and should be included with the best in the game. I'm saying he has all the tools to be, but until he actually plays elite starter minutes, he's not in the category. Do you disagree?

Would you be comfortable giving Cory Schneider a $7+M per season deal, when his career high in GP is 45 and his career high in wins is 20? Schneider played four more games, and won the same amount as Eddie Lack. Put it another way: Lack won 39% of the games he played, Schneider won 35.5%.

Schneider has the POTENTIAL to be an elite goalie. In my opinion you need to be a proven #1 goalie before you can be considered "Elite". Once he hits 55-65 GP in a season we can revisit this.
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

OMG we're talking about Schneider?

That is soooooooooo 2013.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:Uh, kind of hard to "crack" his own Olympics team when you had some washed up, has been Goalie and future HOFer that has the ear of management and was declared the de facto number one before the season began [no open competition] and got starts based on reputation and past performance that took away ice time away from The Cory to display his talents. :mex:
You mad bro? Got somethin' against one of the best goalies ever?
Uh, nothin' expect that he is a shell of his former self.

YOU SEEM MAD BRO, that I criticized your washed up, has been goalie. LOL.

The stats don't lie.

1.97 GAA and .921 Sv% versus 2.51 GAA .901% .... I think even you could figure that one out. 8-)
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

He's been an elite goaltender at every level, to the point that he was a 1st round pick and one of the most highly regarded goaltender prospects out there. He wasn't some flash in the pan. His NHL numbers up to this point have been very elite and he was good enough to supplant an "elite" goaltender on a lifetime fucking albatross of a contract.

Obviously AV and Lou Lamoriello think he is elite.

Does he have work to do to be considered a true "elite" NHL goaltender? Sure, he needs more games under his belt. But all he has to do is continue to play around the same level he has for his entire fucking career and he will easily achieve that status.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

herb wrote:OMG we're talking about Schneider?

That is soooooooooo 2013.
I know, it's true.

Let's talk about how Doc "never been wrong" Strangelove (lol) didn't want to re-sign Ehroff after 2011 instead.

He's gonna be SO mad bro. Image
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Betamax wrote:Uh, nothin' expect that he is a shell of his former self.

The stats don't lie.

1.97 GAA and .921 Sv% versus 2.51 GAA .901% .... I think even you could figure that one out. 8-)
Not a huge Brodeur fan, to be honest... but how about these stats:

19-14-6 vs. 16-15-12

Marty left the ice a winner 19/39 times. "The Cory" left the ice a winner 16/45 times.

Just Win BABY. :mex:
herb
CC Legend

Post by herb »

Rumsfeld wrote: Let's talk about how Doc "never been wrong" Strangelove (lol) didn't want to re-sign Ehroff after 2011 instead.
Biggest mistake of GMMG's tenure here.

He also shouldn't have let his core players decide whether or not to keep Torres.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Island Nucklehead wrote:
Betamax wrote:Uh, nothin' expect that he is a shell of his former self.

The stats don't lie.

Not a huge Brodeur fan, to be honest... but how about these stats:

19-14-6 vs. 16-15-12

Marty left the ice a winner 19/39 times. "The Cory" left the ice a winner 16/45 times.

Just Win BABY. :mex:
Well, all I can say it wasn't an open competition to begin with. Marty due to his past patronage was anointed the starter despite being completely outplayed by The Cory in the pre-season.

I mean, if The Cory had those same starts as Marty and got into a rhythm like a real starter, who's to say he wouldn't produce as much wins if not more, as said, washed up has been goalie? :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.