Is Carey Price being Overrated?

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Re: Is Carey Price being Overrated?

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Mondi wrote:After watching this player in the playoffs and the Olympics, I have determined he is a good goalie.

Beyond that, I don't understand the hype. At best, he is the new Roberto Luongo, but people in the media are talking about him like he's...well, I heard someone say "he has one foot in Patrick Roy territory."

We've seen plenty of guys have a couple of good seasons in row and not be compared to Mr. Roy.

Looking at Price's career stats they are good, but not outstanding for the area.

Is he trending up? Is his positioning so good that he makes it look easy?

Thoughts?
With him being out the remainder of the Eastern Final, we'll get our chance to see how important he is to the Canadiens. As it is, this season he was 3rd amongst starters for Save% (Rask, Varlamov), 14th in GAA, and 10th in Minutes played.

He's definitely a number 1 goalie and at nearly 27, he's not old. When you think that he's a year younger than Cory Schneider, and has played in at least 1/2 of Montreal's games for the past 7 years... that's quite impressive. I would say he would be consistently viewed as a top-10 goalie in the game. Whereas some guys fluctuate wildly season to season, I would say Price is in that group that you know you're going to get good-great goaltending on a consistent basis.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Mentally, I think in the past year he has matured quite a bit and grown to be more comfortable as a person and as a goalie. His interviews are fairly matter of fact now and it seems like he is keeping his emotions in check. This past series against Boston showed me a goalie that wasn't going to let anything phase him despite Boston's best efforts. He also took the Olympic starting job and never let go.

On the goaltending side of things his form and technique has been described by InGoal magazine as textbook. He has also added the VH post position very effectively that a lot of goalies are doing now that lets the goalie seal the post and gives the option for a strong push off if there is a centering pass.

In short, I believe he has become the perfect package of size, maturity and technical skill and he is now one of the best goalies in the league.
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Benjo wrote:Mentally, I think in the past year he has matured quite a bit and grown to be more comfortable as a person and as a goalie. His interviews are fairly matter of fact now and it seems like he is keeping his emotions in check. This past series against Boston showed me a goalie that wasn't going to let anything phase him despite Boston's best efforts. He also took the Olympic starting job and never let go.

On the goaltending side of things his form and technique has been described by InGoal magazine as textbook. He has also added the VH post position very effectively that a lot of goalies are doing now that lets the goalie seal the post and gives the option for a strong push off if there is a centering pass.

In short, I believe he has become the perfect package of size, maturity and technical skill and he is now one of the best goalies in the league.
You and Price must be close for you to be assessing his personal maturity.....

His professional maturation is par for the course. The majority of goaltenders begin to hit their prime around the age of 27.
Benjo
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by Benjo »

Mëds wrote:
You and Price must be close for you to be assessing his personal maturity.....
I was basing my opinion from interviews that I've seen, the appearance of his demeanor after bumps and snow showers by the Bruins as well as his performance in the Olympics. I don't think I said I knew him.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Mondi wrote:After watching this player in the playoffs and the Olympics, I have determined he is a good goalie.
LOL
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Arachnid
CC Legend

Post by Arachnid »

Topper wrote:
LOL
How the fuck can you read that shyte if he's on The List™?!

:P
I love every move Jim Benning makes 8-)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

I wasn't sure whether or not Carey Price is a good goalie until Mondi determined that HE IS. :drink:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

I think Price is probably the best goalie in the game right now and playing @ a higher lvl than Lou ever did.
rockalt
MVP
MVP

Post by rockalt »

Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I think Price is probably the best goalie in the game right now and playing @ a higher lvl than Lou ever did.
This is a bit rich.

I know Price is a good goalie but we are soon to forget the goalie we inherited in Vancouver.

I would venture to say that Luongo's .941 save percentage in the 2006-2007 playoffs and his .934 save percentage in the 2003-2004 regular season were more impressive than anything Price has achieved to date in the NHL.

Let's wait 5-10 years and see what Price achieves in his career. I like him but comments like this and suggestions that he's a generational goaltender are more than a little premature.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Price has probably joined Lundqvist and Quick as a top-three goalie in the game after this season.

He's always been one of the best technical goalies, now he's putting it all together. I think he had a bit of a partying issue a couple years ago as well.

Don't be surprised to see Schneids join that elite club one day.... if he can get the fuck out of New Jersey.

You know who's really impressing me this year is Crawford. He's better and quicker than I thought he was.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Hey Mondi, could you go back and re-watch a few of the Canucks games this year.....I dunno.....like maybe 15 or 16 of them.....then tell us, definitively, whether or not Lack is a good goalie. :roll:
ClamRussel
CC Legend

Post by ClamRussel »

rockalt wrote:
Todd Bersnoozi wrote:I think Price is probably the best goalie in the game right now and playing @ a higher lvl than Lou ever did.
This is a bit rich.

I know Price is a good goalie but we are soon to forget the goalie we inherited in Vancouver.

I would venture to say that Luongo's .941 save percentage in the 2006-2007 playoffs and his .934 save percentage in the 2003-2004 regular season were more impressive than anything Price has achieved to date in the NHL.

Let's wait 5-10 years and see what Price achieves in his career. I like him but comments like this and suggestions that he's a generational goaltender are more than a little premature.
If he had that season in the east he would have easily won the Hart. That was one hell of an outstanding season. Too bad he tore his knee up the following year, was never the same after that.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Rumsfeld wrote: Don't be surprised to see Schneids join that elite club one day.... if he can get the fuck out of New Jersey.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Todd Bersnoozi
CC Legend

Post by Todd Bersnoozi »

rockalt wrote:
True. When we first got Lou in 06-07, he was pretty awesome. I thought he was going to be the first canuck goalie to win a vezina. He probably would of won it in 07, but Marty was in his prime @ that time. Unfortunately, Lou then had a kid and seemed to get bitch slapped from his wife and he turned to a guy with the meltdowns in big games. :cry: