All-Encompassing Coaching/Shot Blocking Discussion!!!

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Topper
CC Legend

Re: All-Encompassing Coaching/Shot Blocking Discussion!!!

Post by Topper »

Skyo hasn't seen a smile like that since he left the residential school.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Rumsfeld
CC Legend

Post by Rumsfeld »

Topper wrote:Skyo hasn't seen a smile like that since he left the residential school.
Oh shit! :lol:

Last edited by Rumsfeld on Fri May 23, 2014 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chairman of the Jim Benning Appreciation Society
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Topper wrote:Skyo hasn't seen a smile like that since he left the residential school.
Oh no you didn't...
____
Try to focus on someday.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Willes: Canucks’ only way forward is a return to the Vigneault way of deploying speed and depth
By ED WILLES, The Province May 28, 2014

via: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/hocke ... story.html

Here's a quote:
Now, the Rangers aren’t a carbon copy of that Canucks team, but the Blueshirts can roll four lines with three sets of defencemen and there isn’t a huge dropoff from their best forward to their fourth line. That’s also reflected in the ice times, where no forward has averaged more than 20 minutes a game in the playoffs but nine are averaging 14:37 per game or more.

Compare that, if you will, to Tortorella’s deployment of his forwards this season, when Kesler and the twins all averaged more than 20 minutes a game. The Canucks were the only team in the NHL who could make that claim. Then again, they were the only team that went from third in their conference to 12th.

As for what approach works best in today’s NHL, the records of the two teams make the case eloquently, and that brings us around to the course the Canucks will set for next season.
So MSM writes a feature article on what Betamax identified at the beginning of the season: "Vancouver, WE HAVE A PROBLEM" with Fonzie at the helm. :mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Fri May 30, 2014 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

first time checking this shitshow thread..........
After China/Russian LNG deal I smiled. haha
Christy Clark's fracking demise.
Can the Canucks just win a Cup within the next 5 years.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote:Willes: Canucks’ only way forward is a return to the Vigneault way of deploying speed and depth
Hybrid of size and skill this team needs to go, so we can play with the heavy weights - ducks/kings/sharks and skilled teams such as the blackhawks.

We need that top dman more than anything, how Benning/TL go about that will be anyone's guess.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:
Betamax wrote:Willes: Canucks’ only way forward is a return to the Vigneault way of deploying speed and depth
Hybrid of size and skill this team needs to go, so we can play with the heavy weights - ducks/kings/sharks and skilled teams such as the blackhawks.

We need that top dman more than anything, how Benning/TL go about that will be anyone's guess.
My solution: Trade the 6th overall pick + probably more for this guy:

Then we will see some, uh, Magic57 here .......... :mex:
BingoTough
CC 1st Team All-Star

Post by BingoTough »

Betamax wrote: So MSM writes a feature article on what Betamax identified at the beginning of the season: "Vancouver, WE HAVE A PROBLEM" with Fonzie at the helm. :mex:
How did you do that, you only joined in April?
Betamax
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Or did you have a previous account which you abandoned for some unfathomable reason? BTW, how do you post 480 times in little over a month? What's wrong? I know I'm a lurker, but sheesh, that's way the other end of the spectrum. The Canucks season ended the day after you signed up.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

BingoTough wrote:
Betamax wrote: So MSM writes a feature article on what Betamax identified at the beginning of the season: "Vancouver, WE HAVE A PROBLEM" with Fonzie at the helm. :mex:
How did you do that, you only joined in April?
Betamax
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Or did you have a previous account which you abandoned for some unfathomable reason? BTW, how do you post 480 times in little over a month? What's wrong? I know I'm a lurker, but sheesh, that's way the other end of the spectrum. The Canucks season ended the day after you signed up.
It's documented on hfboards. Last summer, I tried registering on this site but didn't get the verification e-mail back or it was closed. Don't remember exactly. And then I think weeks or month(s) or so later, registered on hf. So, instead of going through hoops and barrels, I just posted there and not here.

Which is such a shame, since I feel bad for you and others that aren't crossover posters there (like my cybro bro, dbr is), ergo, were unfortunately deprived of knowing what's going to happen months before it actually did occur. 8-)

As stated in the first page of this thread and written on Fri Apr 25, 2014:
Betamax wrote:FYI, there seems to be a limit of posting one URL per post, so for those interested in the "backstory" between Betamax v. Torts' "fanboys" on hfboards, it "currently" can be found in this thread:

via hfboards:

The All-Encompassing Shot Blocking Discussion Thread!!!
:mex:
Last edited by Betamax on Fri May 30, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SKYO
MVP
MVP

Post by SKYO »

Betamax wrote:
SKYO wrote: We need that top dman more than anything, how Benning/TL go about that will be anyone's guess.

Looks like the big beast we need for this new Canucks team!

I'd rather try to for Ekblad though, as Florida is actually keen on trading their #1 pick, and I don't think Murray is going to trade their dman.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

SKYO wrote:
Betamax wrote:
SKYO wrote: We need that top dman more than anything, how Benning/TL go about that will be anyone's guess.

Looks like the big beast we need for this new Canucks team!
Well, those are pics, years ago, from the WJHC ... he does stand out from the rest of his teammates, literally.

Anyway, I didn't want to, uh, sully my "Myers to the Canucks' promo" with more recent pics of him -- in a Sabres' uniform. :mex:
I'd rather try to for Ekblad though, as Florida is actually keen on trading their #1 pick, and I don't think Murray is going to trade their dman.
I would tend to agree ... but the Sabres might or rather should be "tank for one more season mode." 8-)
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Yawn.... fart. AV couldn't have coached the Canucks as beat up as they were with injuries into the playoffs. He had the benefit of playing in a horrid conference and got three candy matchups along the way. he is gone. while I was not a huge John Tortorella fan the comparisons labelling him as a moron and AV as a genius are a bit much. AV was a top ten coach. The way some of the little clowns are whining and going on one would think he was Scotty Bowman.

I guess this is what happens when you read an Ed Willes article. Does he stutter in his articles as well ?
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
rats19
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by rats19 »

I don't think AV is a genius coach. I don't think he is a great coach. I do think he is a decent coach who ran out of ability to motivate our team after 7 years.

I don't think torts was a moron nor do I think he is a bad coach. I do think he was the wrong coach for the situation he faced.

That is all :!:

PS..I don't read Ed Willes
Silence intelligence so stupid isn’t offended….
Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

rats19 wrote:I don't think AV is a genius coach. I don't think he is a great coach. I do think he is a decent coach who ran out of ability to motivate our team after 7 years.

I don't think torts was a moron nor do I think he is a bad coach. I do think he was the wrong coach for the situation he faced.

That is all :!:

PS..I don't read Ed Willes

You and i are on the same page rats. My rant was at the piss posse who proclaim " the Alain " as the saviour and babble on about how he shluldn't have been canned. He had his run here and it was pretty good. However " the Alain " obviously got stale with this group as they won two playoff games in 14 chances. They benefitted from playing in a shitty division. It was time and while Torts was not the answer, AV does NOT guide this broken, weak team into the playoffs if he had been dealt the same cards Torts had been. He may have squeezed out three or four more wins but to anyone with a decent knowledge of the game this team simply wasn't good enough this season.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Island Nucklehead
MVP
MVP

Post by Island Nucklehead »

Blob Mckenzie wrote:AV does NOT guide this broken, weak team into the playoffs if he had been dealt the same cards Torts had been. He may have squeezed out three or four more wins but to anyone with a decent knowledge of the game this team simply wasn't good enough this season.
I think this is key for fans to understand. The team was getting worse. Management wasn't providing good fixes for the problems that plagued us, for several years running.

We HAD 2 #1 goalies that could've (probably) fetched us immediate help in other areas. Instead of trading one of them, either one, for a top-6 forward, we ran with arguably the best 1-2 tandem in hockey. That's great, until you hit the playoffs and you have to pick one starter, leaving a great regular season asset on the bench when your team needs depth elsewhere. Especially when your best winger goes down (Sedin vs LA)...

Then we traded one for futures, while the other one still wanted out (apparently)...

There was just too much drama surrounding the Canucks over the past couple seasons. It's unfortunate that Kesler has been dragged into it, because now he will probably have to go too. Cut the cancer (excuses) out ASAP and get back to being a good fucking hockey team. AV, Luongo, Gillis... all did great things for us, but were tainted by the gongshow that this team became.

We need to move on.