Dealing With A Stale Core

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Re: Dealing With A Stale Core

Post by Chef Boi RD »

Strangelove wrote:
RoyalDude wrote: ??? Doc is an admitted hardcore Man U fan (wasn't the THINKER A Man U fan???. hmmmm), which means he has blood ties there, whether through ancestry or he himself actually started out there before landing in Clark Park. He is the purest wanker here :)
Wot can I say, everyone's doing a THINKER act these days. :wink:
Doc my good man, Manks are legends for their 'blagging'. You're blagging here is a dead giveaway.
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Seems like with 4 year extensions, the Sedins and burrows aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

So tossing a grenade can only mean buying out booth, trading Kesler, and Edler...

But with both having NTC contracts, the returns are limited; and as dealing from a position of weakness always turns out, You end up with prospects and draft picks.

To me this road ends up with the sedin line and three lines of youngsters and short term hacks to nurse maid them until they are ready.

Say hello to four years of "dya think we make playoffs this year?"

However, keep Kesler, find a line mates that compliments his style and you have a one two punch with Sedins again. ( money comes from elders contract this year and booths next year)

Weed out the bottom six for room for the rookies.

Live with the defence and goaltending tandem for another year and we not only make the playoffs, we have shot at surprising some folk and most gloriously, RD disappears in a sulk for weeks in April May 2015

( another message from captain obvious, rodger dodger over and out!)
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

RoyalDude wrote: Doc my good man, Manks are legends for their 'blagging'. You're blagging here is a dead giveaway.
UMMMM… that is PRECISELY the kind of “logic” that starts thermonuclear wars.

Let me spell it out for you.

The Great Strangelove is NOT the (people’s) poster formally known as the THINKER. :twisted:

THINK ABOUT IT
____
Try to focus on someday.
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Well, maybe someone here should do, uh, something like a "People's Poll" on what former has been poster should the current users on this messageboard emulate? Image
UMMMMM.... perhaps.

But THE CLOCK ON THE WALL is telling YOURS TRULY that it's TIME to get back on topic.

Back on topic, THE CLOCK ON THE WALL is telling yours truly that it's TIME.

TIME for your Vancouver Canucks to bring in some SCORING DEPTH for the Don Dockstreader All-Stars.

BEFORE the window closes.

Can you "wankers" see the picture that TAFKATT (The Artist Formally Known As The THINKER) is painting?

CAN YOU??!! :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

You sank my battleship.
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

Arachnid wrote:
Mëds wrote:It's been a fairly rehashed subject throughout multiple threads, and seems to have gained some traction since Tortorella came right out and made it a headline.....the core of this team needs to change. So who do you consider to be the core of this team, and ...
Why would you include Hansen in your post about the Core if you don't think he is part of the core?! :eh:

You argue like a woman. :P
Hey! :evil:

You apologise to HW right here and now!

:evil: :evil: :evil:
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
Per
MVP
MVP

Post by Per »

ukcanuck wrote: Getting rid of Hansen and Higgins just seems like rearranging the deck chairs...

Edit: get a playmaking winger for Kesler and the Sedins make an awesome second line.
Yup. People have argued throughout their art Ross-winning career that they're not legitimate first liners, so when will we finally get that first line in place that allows them their rightful spot as the world's best second line?! :|
Whatever you do, always give 100 %!
Except when donating blood.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Per wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Getting rid of Hansen and Higgins just seems like rearranging the deck chairs...

Edit: get a playmaking winger for Kesler and the Sedins make an awesome second line.
Yup. People have argued throughout their art Ross-winning career that they're not legitimate first liners, so when will we finally get that first line in place that allows them their rightful spot as the world's best second line?! :|
I liked the Sedins from day one and have never ragged on them when expectations were too high or too low.
But
To be fair the Sedins have disappeared at times in the playoffs...or perhaps put another way, they have yet to walk on water at the appropriate time.

Perhaps Kelser, with the right supporting cast, will provide that stroll across troubled waters when it actually counts.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Strangelove wrote:
Betamax wrote: Well, maybe someone here should do, uh, something like a "People's Poll" on what former has been poster should the current users on this messageboard emulate? Image
UMMMMM.... perhaps.

But THE CLOCK ON THE WALL is telling YOURS TRULY that it's TIME to get back on topic.

Back on topic, THE CLOCK ON THE WALL is telling yours truly that it's TIME.

TIME for your Vancouver Canucks to bring in some SCORING DEPTH for the Don Dockstreader All-Stars.

BEFORE the window closes.

Can you "wankers" see the picture that TAFKATT (The Artist Formally Known As The THINKER) is painting?

CAN YOU??!! :evil:

I
Feel
You're
Trying
To
Say
Something here Doc.. And that something never occurred to me before

mostly because a silly sense of humour is not something I THINK I would have attributed to unsaid poster...
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Reefer2 wrote:
rats19 wrote:But you did say FUBAR.... No wonder we come ukdnt recognize them they were all injured....
What I am trying to say and maybe I am not clear enough is that this team simply needs some new blood. I am not one of the people who think we are even close to be a top 5 pick next year because for once I believe with the new GM a couple deals will be made.

Regardless of who is sent out my ASSUMPTION is that player of close caliber is coming back to the team. Combine that with an unbelievable poor year for so many players means that next year they will be better, thus a playoff spot.

I also don't see the need and want in the core, stale also means they become complacent. I was hoping a coach would give them some extra pep and I had high hopes for this past season. But it did not turn out well.

To summarize, this team with zero changes will be better next season, no doubts about it. Making the playoffs is a great possibility but then what? we wasted another year. Changes are needed now and 2 - 3 really good players back on this team with some youth and do see a contender in 3 years.
Uh-huh.....so in a thread about the core, in which everyone is pretty much talking about dumping a core player or two and bringing in new blood, your first contribution was to insinuate that people here think the core is fine as is and the team doesn't need new blood. You get called out for sounding bitchy and then retaliate with what boils down to, "I'm above you all".

You proceed to "yawn" at Doc.....did it occur to you that most of us have been yawning at you for the last year or two?
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote: Live with the defence and goaltending tandem for another year and we not only make the playoffs, we have shot at surprising some folk and most gloriously, RD disappears in a sulk for weeks in April May 2015
Except for Edler.....right? :look:

:P
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

Per wrote:

With the Sedins it all depends on the NHL itself.

Before the 2004 lockout they weren't really looking like they were going to make it happen, and they themselves have talked about times where they considered going back to the SEL. After the lockout the league changed things in an effort to woo and wow the fans with more scoring. The dead puck era was dead and clutch and grab hockey was a thing of the past.....for the most part. The Sedins now had time to play their game, the game they played growing up, the one that actually works when the rulebook is followed closely. Their production jumped substantially. Henrik's by 33 points, and Daniel's by 16 points. They went from being 45-50 point guys to 70-75 point producers. And they continued to improve as the team around them developed and new pieces were added.

In the playoffs their production dropped because the league still reverted somewhat to the clutch and grab style of hockey, not like before the lockout, but the game changes after 82 games have been played, everyone knows this. Over the following 8 years the league slowly moved back to the dead puck era of hockey, I point to the 2011 playoffs as the real turning point. Since then the Sedins point totals have dropped steadily. Daniels' point totals dove off a cliff in 2011-12, to the tune of 37 points. They dropped another 20 points this season. Henrik dropped 13 points and then another 31 points in those same years, respectively. The shortened season was whatever, and their totals were actually closer to the ppg we had come to expect.

The point I'm making is that the Sedins are probably very good 2nd liners in the NHL when clutch and grab is the name of the game. They are very good 1st line forwards when the league calls the game to favor skill and style.
ukcanuck
MVP
MVP

Post by ukcanuck »

Mëds wrote:
ukcanuck wrote: Live with the defence and goaltending tandem for another year and we not only make the playoffs, we have shot at surprising some folk and most gloriously, RD disappears in a sulk for weeks in April May 2015

Probably need his cap space for help upfront I guess...him or burrows...rather keep burrows
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

ukcanuck wrote:
Mëds wrote:

Probably need his cap space for help upfront I guess...him or burrows...rather keep burrows
It's a rare thing indeed for us to be entirely on the same page. :lol:
2Fingers
MVP
MVP

Post by 2Fingers »

Mëds wrote:
Reefer2 wrote:
rats19 wrote:But you did say FUBAR.... No wonder we come ukdnt recognize them they were all injured....
What I am trying to say and maybe I am not clear enough is that this team simply needs some new blood. I am not one of the people who think we are even close to be a top 5 pick next year because for once I believe with the new GM a couple deals will be made.

Regardless of who is sent out my ASSUMPTION is that player of close caliber is coming back to the team. Combine that with an unbelievable poor year for so many players means that next year they will be better, thus a playoff spot.

I also don't see the need and want in the core, stale also means they become complacent. I was hoping a coach would give them some extra pep and I had high hopes for this past season. But it did not turn out well.

To summarize, this team with zero changes will be better next season, no doubts about it. Making the playoffs is a great possibility but then what? we wasted another year. Changes are needed now and 2 - 3 really good players back on this team with some youth and do see a contender in 3 years.
Uh-huh.....so in a thread about the core, in which everyone is pretty much talking about dumping a core player or two and bringing in new blood, your first contribution was to insinuate that people here think the core is fine as is and the team doesn't need new blood. You get called out for sounding bitchy and then retaliate with what boils down to, "I'm above you all".

You proceed to "yawn" at Doc.....did it occur to you that most of us have been yawning at you for the last year or two?
You do realise that I really don't give a rats ass what anyone thinks?

I don't live on this board brother.

And yes some people are saying the core is fine and adding a some pieces is all that is needed.

anyways enough about "me" changes are needed and only time will tell what is going to happen.