Dealing With A Stale Core

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

Blob Mckenzie
MVP
MVP

Re: Dealing With A Stale Core

Post by Blob Mckenzie »

Watching the teams in the playoffs re-inforces that this team as currently constructed is not good enough. LOL at whoever said the defence was fine as is. Yeah ok . They are'nt big enough, not fast enough and have zero creativity back there. The forward lines are a bigger mess. This will take 2- 5 years to clean up. This is what 5 years of no picks does to an organization. 2006- 2010 the team has fuck to show for their drafting.
“I don’t care what you and some other poster were talking about”
Chef Boi RD
MVP
MVP

Post by Chef Boi RD »

This ship will not get righted over night, the teams a mess. We better buckle up for a rebuild that will take more than just one season to fix. You are fooling yourself if you think we will be in the mix next season. Not with our two best players being 34 and clearly declining, and nobody(s) ready to take the torch from them, and a youth movement that is years away from making an impact. Not with the plethora of good young teams in the western conference to contend with.

Take a seat, close your eyes and hope for the new GM to possess a sound vision whom comes with a load of patience and doesn't try to make like the Iginla Flames and decimate your prospect depth for a win now mentality by going with journeyman reclamation projets instead all in the name of .500 hockey. Sorry Rats, I don't want that horror, you may, but not I

Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild

Gillis fucked this team over, getting rid of him is a real good start in the right direction

Torts "we need to stop talking about 2011"
“Tyler Myers is my guy... I was taking to Scotty Bowman last night and he was bringing up his name, and saying he’s a big guy and big guy need big minutes to play, he is playing great for ya… and I agree with him… He’s been exceptional” - Bruce Boudreau
Meds
MVP
MVP

Post by Meds »

RoyalDude wrote:This ship will not get righted over night, the teams a mess. We better buckle up for a rebuild that will take more than just one season to fix. You are fooling yourself if you think we will be in the mix next season. Not with our two best players being 34 and clearly declining, and nobody(s) ready to take the torch from them, and a youth movement that is years away from making an impact. Not with the plethora of good young teams in the western conference to contend with.

Take a seat, close your eyes and hope for the new GM to possess a sound vision whom comes with a load of patience and doesn't try to make like the Iginla Flames and decimate your prospect depth for a win now mentality by going with journeyman reclamation projets instead all in the name of .500 hockey. Sorry Rats, I don't want that horror, you may, but not I

Rebuild
Rebuild
Rebuild

Gillis fucked this team over, getting rid of him is a real good start in the right direction

Torts "we need to stop talking about 2011"
Yeah, I would much rather see this team bottom out again next year, and maybe the season after as well, and get a rebuild that is going in the right direction.

Gillis came in and said all the right things, and he supported the core of the team fairly quickly.....right up until 2012. Then he went crazy and started handing out NTC's to everyone. I defended his moves, and some of them I still do, but when he signed Edler to a 6 year/$5M deal and threw in a NTC, and then failed to trade him before the NTC kicked in.....I was really getting closer to being on the fence regarding him. His NTC's and 4 year extensions to the Sedins was retarded.

Some of what I've read since he got axed has me thinking that his ineptness was not for a lack of trying or stupidly over valuing players. It sounds like he tried like hell to move Luongo, and even Edler at the draft before the NTC kicked in.....it was just that nobody wanted to deal with him because he was a pompous arse.

Depending upon what moves get made, what UFA's land here, and who we draft, next year will be a season that I want to see the team lay a big COiler out on the ice and secure a top pick or not.

I do think that there are some pieces here that might take a step next year and make the Canucks a playoff team again. If Jensen, Kassian, Tanev, Corrado, Lack, and perhaps Horvat, are in the lineup next year, then maybe a deal gets made that sends one of our core players out for a 1st round pick and we get lucky and that pick ends up being top 10 in 2015.

I don't expect to see this team playing in the middle of May again any time soon.
kelowna kanuck
CC Veteran

Post by kelowna kanuck »

Mëds wrote:
Lancer wrote:Providing that the new administration finds a taker who can convince Edler to waive his NTC, he's as good as gonzo even if the return may not be ideal. Both he and the organization need him to be somewhere other than Vancouver whether he recognizes it or not.

As for Higgins and Hansen, they're not bad fits - on the 3rd or 4th line. That's the problem: for lack of a viable alternative, they've been thrust into 2nd-line spots and the results we all know. Now, they're getting paid decent salaries for 3rd-liners (a bit rich for 4th liners) and they bring some speed and skill to the line-up but what could the Canucks get for them and who would fill their spots on the 3rd line, let alone the spots they've failed to fill on the 2nd?

There's merit to trading players out to clear a stale room, but you then have to be able to replace what they bring if not add something more. Not sure what Linden and Co. can find on the UFA front and God knows what cowshit other GMs would want to foist upon them unless you want the Canucks to trade the likes of Kesler and/or Edler to fill Higgins' and Hansen's roles.[/quot

I think you move Edler out, maybe in a package that includes one of Hansen or Higgins.....maybe both. In return you get a top 6 winger. Not sure who, not sure from where.

One of the kids has to play next year. That's a must imho.....

Although it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that Matt Niskanen gets to unrestricted free agency, if he does, go after him, and go after him hard.

That works for me... depending on the line 2 blank of course

We have a few guys in our existing system that will be stepping in next year, at least I think so. I fill next year out as below.....

Daniel - Henrik - Burrows
______ - Kesler - Kassian
Jensen - Horvat - Santorelli
Sestito - Richardson - ______

Hamhuis - Bieksa
Garrison - Tanev
Stanton - ______

Lack
Markstrom

Booth may or may not fill one of those blanks.....depends on whether or not they buy him out.

Shinkaruk probably needs one more year to put on some size and strength before he is ready for the NHL.
more cap space!
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:You sank my battleship.
Uh, Player No. 61 is fully operational and in service.

Topper
CC Legend

Post by Topper »

Betamax wrote:

Currying favour?
Over the Internet, you can pretend to be anyone or anything.

I'm amazed that so many people choose to be complete twats.
Betamax
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by Betamax »

Topper wrote:
Betamax wrote:

Currying favour?
Betamax has no desire to be GM. Image
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

Betamax wrote: Betamax has no desire to be GM. Image
Cheeky monkey.
____
Try to focus on someday.