And So The Axe Falls

Welcome to the main forum of our site. Anything and everything to do with the Vancouver Canucks is dicussed and debated here.

Moderator: Referees

ClamRussel
CC Legend

Re: And So The Axe Falls

Post by ClamRussel »

Strangelove wrote:
ClamRussel wrote: Trading for Ballard ultimately it's us Ehrhoff the following year as we were up against the cap. At the time I questioned the trade because our top4 was already set w/ Hamhuis-Bieksa and Edler-Ehrhoff. Where exactly did Gillis see Ballard slotting in. Yes, that's a steep price to pay for a 3rd pairing blueliner.
"At the time" we didn't have Hamhuis.

Hamhuis signed a week later.

It was said Gillis wanted Ballard as insurance in case he couldn't sign UFA Hamhuis to a contract.
ClamRussel wrote: I also questioned Booth as a winger for Kesler. I called it outright, no way are too players who carry the puck going to gel together. You can't always jump on 'good deals', you need to find the right fit. Kesler needed a player like Hemsky or Whitney...wingers who can distribute the puck.
At the time, virtually everyone was screaming Canucks needed a physical top-6 forward.

At the time, Kesler wasn't a puck-hog (he was top-20 in assists over the previous 3 seasons).

(might have been top-10, but not sure so covering my butt) :mrgreen:

Some have suggested Kess turned puck-hog due to the general crappiness of his wingers over the years.

(Booth included)
Right, forgot my timeline there. We did, however have both Salo & Mitchell. Hamhuis certainly made Ballard redundant & he should have been moved as soon it was evident AV wasn't a fan.

Kesler, no he was a puck hog long before Boothie arrived. He did have one big year in assists (50) but that's about it. Stats don't tell the story w/ him though. You just needed to watch him on the ice & you could see he only passed the puck when he ran out of options himself. Total last resort passer.
"Once a King, always a King" -Mike Murphy
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

ClamRussel wrote: Right, forgot my timeline there. We did, however have both Salo & Mitchell.
Not Mitchell, the decision had already been made to let him walk (due to concussion concerns).

True, Salo was there (he tore his Achilles Tendon later that summer, but that's beside the point).

I guess Gillis had painted himself into a corner because he had 3 RS dee in Ehrhoff/Bieksa/Salo

... so by giving up on Mitchell, he really needed that LS top-4 dee insurance-against-not-landing-Hamhuis.

And so.... he pulled the trigger on the Ballard trade. :(

Was it the docs/trainers that influenced Gillis on that call... or was he going with his gut?

Either way he probably wishes he has a time machine every time he thinks about Willie Mitchell!
ClamRussel wrote: Hamhuis certainly made Ballard redundant & he should have been moved as soon it was evident AV wasn't a fan.
Agreed!
ClamRussel wrote: Kesler, no he was a puck hog long before Boothie arrived. He did have one big year in assists (50) but that's about it. Stats don't tell the story w/ him though. You just needed to watch him on the ice & you could see he only passed the puck when he ran out of options himself. Total last resort passer.
Yeah I watched him, we're gonna hafta agree to disagree on that one buds. :)

And like I say 115 assists over the previous 3 seasons (2008-2011) has got to be right up there...
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

ESQ wrote:
mathonwy wrote:
1. Gillis signed a lame duck by the name of Marco Sturm for 2.25M in the off season. And then subsequently was forced to trade him (along with Sammy) for 4 more years of David Booth. This was a 4.25M garbage-for-garbage transaction in what was possibly the highest fanbase expectation season ever. (To be fair, David had an ok season that year).
I agree with your overall point, but the Booth trade was an excellent one - flipping old, injured players for a young former 30-goal scorer. One of the best on paper trades in recent memory.

I don't deny that it ended up being a disaster, but had Booth even performed as a 15-20-goal scorer (instead of a one-goal scorer in 2012-13) it would have been a good trade. Booth's decline was one of the most precipitous in NHL history, no one could have foreseen the depths to which he'd fall.

One other move (or non-move) that I raised following 2011 was the decision to keep Kesler following 2011. At that point, his value was at an all-time high following the Nashville series, he had numerous injuries to overcome that off-season, and his NTC didn't kick in until 2012-13.

Kesler's locker room dickishness is becoming more openly acknowledged, but I'm sure it was there back in 2011. Plus he contributed to the negative perception of the Canucks as divers and whiners.

However, with HW's insights I have more sympathy for Gillis' failure to make the moves we'd have liked. Kesler is one guy that even Sather would have come hat in hand for.

(Ah, I love armchair GM-ing!)
What you're overlooking is that both Sturm and Sammy became free agents at the end of 11/12 while Booth had 4 more years to go.

If you are basing the trade purely on talent potential / age, then yes. Trading old for young is of course the best strategy. However, in this case, alongside Sturm and Sammy, he also gave up four additional years of 4.25M dollars of cap flexibility for a player that was a very big question mark health-wise. Suffering two major concussions in the span of a year is no joking matter. That's some major future mortgaging right dere.

And that very big question mark turned out to be a weird one-dimensional power forward that doesn't seem to be quite all there. Let's be honest. David Booth isn't exactly the sharpest dude.

ESQ wrote: I don't deny that it ended up being a disaster, but had Booth even performed as a 15-20-goal scorer (instead of a one-goal scorer in 2012-13) it would have been a good trade. Booth's decline was one of the most precipitous in NHL history, no one could have foreseen the depths to which he'd fall.
Since we're playing the game of what if. What if Gillis HADN'T made that trade, what potentially could have happened?

Well, Sammy had a 14G/7A/31pt season. Sturm had a 3G/2A/5pt season :shock: and David Booth had a 16G/14A/30pt season.

Sooooo... we'd be 1 up in the goal department and 5 down in the assist department which is pretty much a wash. With regards to Marco Sturm's 3 goals and 2 assists, that's pretty bad value for 2.25M. However, it's still more goals than the majority of our depth players so giving up Marco Sturm meant that we were also giving up depth. Hurray. The story keeps on getting better.

Ok, now we're at the end of the season and by not making that trade, Mike has an additional 4.25M of Aquaman's money to play around with. What could we get for 4.25M+ in the free agent market of the summer of 2012?

- PA Parenteau got a 4Y/16M contract from the Garth.

edit: Don't want to do any more research, got real work to do. :)

The list goes on and on and on with regards to the potential free agents we "could have signed"

http://hockeyblog-kev.blogspot.ca/2011/ ... nings.html

ANY of the above players would have been better than David Booth. If you look at Booth's playing style, it's actually quite a bad one to complement Ryan Kesler. Booth is not your play-making winger. He's a crash and bang strength-on-strength winger that excels at taking the puck to the net. A Kassian type of a winger would have been a much better fit.

Your point about Kesler is a valid one. Did Kesler force Gillis's hand? Did he give Gillis an ultimatum of sorts? Nobody knows.

--

So Gillis really did a number on us by making two rather large and rather bad decisions in trading for Ballard and Booth. I guess karma for the Luo trade. Is he the devil incarnate? Well, depends on how much you like the Sedins I guess. One can never get those Hart trophy winning years back.
Last edited by mathonwy on Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

On Ballard:

Hamhuis was not a lock yet. Bieksa was coming off a serious injury and had not yet returned to form. A lot of people were calling for him to be traded. As we found out later, Edler was playing on a wonky back that needed surgery. He actually had the surgery. They were not sure how much of that season he could play. So we had a still rehabbing Bieksa and a wonky backed Edler. Our defence was far from certain.

Ballard had gone his entire career without suffering any major injuries and came advertised as durable . In a matter of short course he suffered a concussion and a major groin injury. It was the groin injury that altered his game and got him in the AV doghouse.

The Ballard trade was iffy at the time but I think MG wanted insurance in case they did not sign Hamhuis and against Bieksa and Edler injuries. But it is one using hindsight that was ill advised.

On Booth:

Yes he had a concussion history but his injuries with us were not concussion related. Can't compare the two and say we took a chance on a guy with a rattled cage and it cost us. He was playing very good hockey for us and there was little criticism of him when he was kneed and that was injury number one. during his comeback he suffers a fluke high ankle sprain and that was injury number two, one that he was told would take as long as a year to fully recover from. He was just rounding into form again when last season ended. He/we never had the chance to see him play for long stretches healthy.

In the end I would rather they bought out Luongo and avoided the cap recapture and keep Booth or use a regular buyout on him. It was the right trade at the right time but injuries played a huge part in what became a big disappointment.
The only HW the Canucks need
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Ok, now we're at the end of the season and by not making that trade, Mike has an additional 4.25M of Aquaman's money to play around with. What could we get for 4.25M+ in the free agent market of the summer of 2012?

- Darren Helm got a 4Y/8.5M contract from Detroit
- Ales Hemski got a 2Y/10M contract from the Coilers
- Evander Kane got a 6Y/31.5M contract from the Jets
- Chris Kunitz got a 2Y/7.45M contract from the Pens

The list goes on and on and on with regards to the potential free agents we "could have signed"

WOW that is so FUCKED UP... I don't even know where to begin! :crazy:

The only guy on the list who was a UFA in the summer of 2012 is Parenteau

... and how THE FUCK do you assume he would have signed with the Canucks?

The rest of those guys weren't available in the summer of 2012.

Besides, Booth was perfect for the Canucks in the previous season (2011-12 until the injury).

If you're going to go back in time, how about after the trade for Booth

... we dump him in the summer of 2012 somehow. :hmmm:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:

Easy there chief. I was wondering if that list I was using was fucked up.

We're playing the game of what ifs right?

Like "what if" Booth DID turn out? and I'm saying "what if" we hadn't traded for Booth.

No need to get your panties up in a knot. I'll edit my list aight?
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

mathonwy wrote: Easy there chief. I was wondering if that list I was using was fucked up.

First of all, apologize to the board for posting such a FUCKED UP list.

Then promise to never do it again.

Then apologize for publicly fantasizing about the Great Strangelove in a pair of panties.

AIGHT? :evil:
____
Try to focus on someday.
Hockey Widow
CC Legend

Post by Hockey Widow »

What if Samuellson wasn't injured and was able to play throughout the 2011 playoffs.

What if Raymond didn't break his back in Boston.

What if Ehrhoff wasn't playing with a dislocated shoulder.

What if Hamhuis hadn't screwed up his hip.

What if Edler was playing with a strong back and without three broken fingers.

What if Burrows and Kesler both had two good shoulders, each.

What if Glass didn't have three broken ribs.

What if Manny never injured his eye.

What if Rome was not suspended.

What if AV played Hodgson and Ballard more after all those injuries hit.

I mean it's only a what if game right.
The only HW the Canucks need
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Easy there chief. I was wondering if that list I was using was fucked up.

First of all, apologize to the board for posting such a FUCKED UP list.

Then promise to never do it again.

Then apologize for publicly fantasizing about the Great Strangelove in a pair of panties.

AIGHT? :evil:
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: Ok, now we're at the end of the season and by not making that trade, Mike has an additional 4.25M of Aquaman's money to play around with. What could we get for 4.25M+ in the free agent market of the summer of 2012?

I would classify the rest of the guys as semi-available.
ESQ
MVP
MVP

Post by ESQ »

Hockey Widow wrote:On Booth:

Yes he had a concussion history but his injuries with us were not concussion related. Can't compare the two and say we took a chance on a guy with a rattled cage and it cost us. He was playing very good hockey for us and there was little criticism of him when he was kneed and that was injury number one. during his comeback he suffers a fluke high ankle sprain and that was injury number two, one that he was told would take as long as a year to fully recover from. He was just rounding into form again when last season ended. He/we never had the chance to see him play for long stretches healthy.
Took the words right out of my mouth - Booth's bad luck had nothing to do with his injury history to date, which was getting concussed on extremely dirty hits.

And, IMO, his catastrophic drop in production could not have been foreseen based on his injury history.

He was a first-liner in Florida. He was brought in to be a 2nd-liner. Had he produced as a 3rd liner, he'd still be on this team. But he put up 4th line numbers.

I was a major fan of Samuelsson. I loved the flexibility he gave the top line - he could produce goals from anywhere in the line-up, and that was huge for keeping the Sedins going. But in spite of that, I still thought it was a very good trade by Gillis, but one that unfortunately ended up being an utter disaster.

In a nutshell, I think it was a low-risk trade, that through a remarkable string of bad luck for poor Boothy, actually ended up screwing the Canucks for 3 seasons.
Vader
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by Vader »

Hockey Widow wrote: What if Burrows and Kesler both had two good shoulders, each.
Rather they had concussions than bum shoulders, I tell you what
Strangelove
Moderator & MVP
Moderator & MVP

Post by Strangelove »

KeyserSoze wrote:
Strangelove wrote:
mathonwy wrote: What could we get for 4.25M+ in the free agent market of the summer of 2012?

I would classify the rest of the guys as semi-available.
How so KS?

Mathonwy's "free agent market of the summer of 2012" ran from July 1 to September 15 (lockout).

Helm was not available “in the free agent market of the summer of 2012”…

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nhl/2361/darren-helm

Darren Helm has inked a four-year contract worth $8.5 million with the Detroit Red Wings.
In 68 games with Detroit in 2011-12, he generated nine goals and 17 assists. Helm would've been eligible to be a restricted free agent in July. His regular season was cut short by a sprained knee and he sustained a torn left forearm tendon in Game 1 of the opening round against Nashville. However, he is expected to fine for training camp.

Source: Detroit News Tue, Jun 19, 2012 12:54:00 PM

Hemsky was not available “in the free agent market of the summer of 2012”…

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/h ... cle549072/

Ales Hemsky won't be testing the free-agent waters.

The Edmonton Oilers signed the forward to a US$10-million, two-year extension on Friday night, keeping him in the fold through 2013-14.

With Hemsky set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1, he was considered a prime candidate to be moved ahead of Monday's trade deadline. Instead, he'll remain with the only NHL organization he's ever known.
Source: The Globe and Mail Friday, Feb. 24 2012, 7:49 PM EST

Chris Kunitz was not a “free agent” in the summer of 2012.

Evander Kane of course wasn't a UFA, but he was an RFA that summer (til signing in September).

There were rumours he had asked for a trade, but it’s ludicrous to say he was "available as a free agent”.

Obviously any offer-sheets would have been matched (just scored 30 in 74 as a 20-year-old).

Besides, I don’t think my pal Mathonwy was suggesting Gillis should’ve offer-sheeted Kane.

Mathonwy was talking about players on whom Gillis could have easily spent that Booth money.

Dontcha just loooooove talking about what might have been?

Dontcha just loooooove talking about hockey in the summertime?

FUCKED UP LISTS!!! :crazy:
____
Try to focus on someday.
mathonwy
CC Hall of Fan Member

Post by mathonwy »

Vader wrote:
Hockey Widow wrote: What if Burrows and Kesler both had two good shoulders, each.
Rather they had concussions than bum shoulders, I tell you what
Who said that anyways... I forget.
KeyserSoze
CC 2nd Team All-Star

Post by KeyserSoze »

Strangelove wrote: How so KS?
All of these semi-blue chip players were semi-available for Gillis to sign!

;)

Fucked up lists indeed.